serious issue with best friend

Do you have questions about interpersonal relationships? Get and give advice on friendships, marriage, and romance here.

serious issue with best friend

Postby mdlvettechie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm

My best friend of 13 years, who has had some very serious bad luck with men, and was in a "good" relationship that ended badly about a year ago, has met a guy online. Ok, thats fine...but....he flew from arizona (to michigan-3 hour flight) to meet her, says he works for the government "catching terrorists", hung out with her for 7 hours and PROPOSED! He wants to take her to FIJI, next month and marry her. I think she is crazy for even thinking about it, but she is. What can I do??? I think she should date him if shes that into him, not let him take her out of the country (to kill her perhaps, never know)....and then move her across the country nver to be seen again......I am horribly concerned.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-- Immanuel Kant

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
mdlvettechie
Frantic

Postby Bedford » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:08 pm

As well as you should be :shock:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:31 pm

padlock her to the closest lamp post, she's stark raving mad to even consider it!

i'm guessing someone's looking to get legal. best scenario, really.

worst, someone's looking for prostitutes on the east side of the globe.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby angel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:04 am

it can go all sorts of ways... i actually know a couple that met, were together for about 24 hours, he proposed to her, she accepted, another 24 hours later they were newlyweds. they are still together and as much in love as day 1. they recently had their 30th anniversary...
i know couples that do the whole meeting, dating, getting to know thing, get married and a divorce within a year, even after some thorough studying of each other...
i also know couples that have been together for 15, 20, 25 years that decide it hasn't really worked out they way they thought it would, and end things then and there...

whatever she decides to do, make POSITIVE she marries with a prenuptial contract, so that IF things do happen to go bad she will not lose anything.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby StVandal » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:07 am

Is hiring a private detective an option? Maybe her family would pitch in with you?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby legend » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:55 am

im sure it works out for a minimal amount of people but thats about it.
slap the crazy b*tch till she comes to her senses .
unless she wants to wake up in a duffle bag without a head and dumped in a ditch by some crazy serial killer.
cos its highly likely . :neutral:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby Damsel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:41 pm

The things he is telling her seem quite bogus...it sounds like another case of a male liar. Remind her that men lie a lot...
Damsel

[b]UPDATE!!![/b]

Postby mdlvettechie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:31 pm

she isnt going to do it! she said she has alot of concerns and things she needs to know and concerns she needs addresses, and wants to date.

:D
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-- Immanuel Kant

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
mdlvettechie
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:59 am

Phew !! I think we were all very concerned for your friend !!
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:18 pm

i have the perfect solution: send them to vandals wee ....café, he'll soon sort out what's what.

:evildance:
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:49 am

I don't want him in my bar if he actually does work for the government!
We have the word "Anarchy" emblazoned above our front door!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Romance and Friendships