New Relationship

Do you have questions about interpersonal relationships? Get and give advice on friendships, marriage, and romance here.

New Relationship

Postby Makinamess » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:17 pm

OK, after a long time on my own, I have decided that it is time I *met someone* - trouble is, I have no idea how to go about it ! All practical ideas will be considered, possibly even the impractical ones too :lol:

I'm not that awful looking, have no nasty or foul habits, can cook (I know, it's veggie food but I've not starved on it to date), am quite tidy and scrub up well for special occasions, I'm not that stupid and can articulate nicely with aged aunts and oddball cousins, have a passable sense of humour and I can drive. I also know the difference between a custard tart and a Cotes du Rhone. Your help would be most gratefully received. Thanking you in advance :biggrin:
Last edited by Makinamess on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:06 pm

my mother asks me this question and i'm not sure of the answer. does your work have a national magazine for members. they sometimes have ads in. maybe u wish to meet a certain type of person - one who reads the same paper as you possibly, try guardian soulmates.(or whatever paper u read). is there a local club that piques your interest - walking, wine, sport etc?

i find going out to pub and getting sloshed works a treat, but then i am a bit of a hussy :biggrin:
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby brandtrn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:56 pm

Well, I can think of a couple of places where NOT to look -- dating co-workers, in my opinion, is an absolute no-no. Not only do you have to deal with the inevitable gossip among the co-workers, but the work situation can be exceedingly uncomfortable if the relationship, for whatever reason, doesn't work out. Ditto for the bar scene...while I suppose it's POSSIBLE to meet a nice, honest gentleman in a pub who's actually looking for a relationship, what's more likely is that you'll meet someone who only wants to get laid and will play head games with you on top of it all.

A few suggestions I can think of, right off the top of my head:

If you're a single parent, most communities have a "parents without partners" or similar group, which hold regular get-togethers, dances, meetings and support groups. This might be a place where you could meet somebody new, and who's going through many of the same difficulties you may be having.

Often, local bookstores host lectures given by various authors on various subjects. It also appears that one of our area bookstores also has a secondary function as a "meat market" -- i.e., singles have a tendency to hang out in the bookstore cafe looking to meet new people. Is it possible that you have similar place where you live? If so, this might be a place to meet someone new...

If you have a particular hobby or interest, you might want to consider joining a club, if there's one for your particular interest in your community. I have a good friend who's an avid photographer, who met her current partner in a local photography club. If there's no clubs in your area for your given hobby or interest, you might consider taking a class that interests you at your local community college. Common interests are a significant factor when it comes to forming new relationships, and it's entirely possible that you'll meet somebody who's attractive, unattached, shares your interests, and happens to be interested in you :biggrin:

Also, if you have an interest in volunteer work, certain of these organizations provide excellent opportunities for meeting new people. And do consider letting your friends and family members who live locally know that you're interested in meeting someone new. Who knows? Perhaps one of these people knows someone interesting, and could introduce the two of you...

Finally, if none of these options sounds feasible, you might want to consider checking out a local dating service or online matchmaking place...and before you turn your nose up at that idea completely, consider that several people I know have met their spouses in this way -- myself included!
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby Valleysailor » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:02 pm

I think Cindy made alot of good suggestions. To those, just let me add -- the local hardware store! Guys who hang out at the hardware store are usually really good at fixing stuff. And the hardware store is usually just crawling with guys on weekday evenings or Sunday afternoons. If they are alone on Sunday afternoon, chances are pretty good that there isn't a Mrs. Just strike up a conversation about electrical outlets or plumbing fixtures or something like that.
Another good place to find nice guys -- the produce section at the grocer, particularly on Friday or Saturday nights. If he's alone on date night, chances are pretty good, he's single. Thump a cantaloupe or an eggplant and ask the object of your affection if he knows how to pick a good one. Or he knows about how to cook something or other.
Keep us posted on the success of this endeavor. :tongue:
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:23 pm

Hey, thanks for the top suggestions. I love driving (any vehicle) and am always keen to improve myself so a few years ago I joined the local RoSPA and IAM advanced motorists clubs - mostly fellas but they were all married or in relationships. I made a lot of friends through them, so yep, that's still an avenue to be explored further :lol:

Being an engineer, I am often to be found in the tool section of B&Q already, wandering around looking at the lathes, drills, saws etc (sad woman) and have already tried to chat to some of the fellas there on their own - unfortunately they seem to run a mile when they realise I know my tools (shurrup), and there is no way I can do the *silly little woman* routine.

I did try the fruit and veg section of the supermarket but kept finding that the guys I asked for advice on unusual veg knew even less than me about them (I guess that will teach me to be interested in cooking !!!).

I agree with Brandtrn about co-workers/colleagues - that could go so horribly wrong - so I'm staying well away from that arena !

Looks like evening classes and bookshops are next on the list of things to try !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby legend » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:01 am

oi vs does your man know you hang about in the hardware stores?
vs is a hardware store groupie :lol: :lol: :roll: :biggrin:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby Makinamess » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:10 am

*Messy wags her finger pointedly at Legend* Now come on laddie, you know you should have posted that response in the Rumours Thread *slap slap, she says, trying oh so hard to look bossy* :biggrin:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Romance and Friendships