Broken heart

Do you have questions about interpersonal relationships? Get and give advice on friendships, marriage, and romance here.

Broken heart

Postby Sandra » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:32 pm

My daughter has split up with her older boyfriend (which I'm secretly pleased about) but her heart is broken, she's beside herself and I don't know what else I can do to comfort her. I've told her it's not the 'end of the world' and she says if I say 'there's plenty of more fish in the sea' she'll fall out with me lol, everything I say ends in tears. Any advice plz, would be appreciated?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Re: Broken heart

Postby Makinamess » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Ahhh poor R ! It probably feels like the end of the world to her right now - come on now, remember what it felt like for you ? All those hormones raging and everything out of kilter ! All you can do is just be there for her - don't dismiss how she feels (those feelings are seriously strong) but maybe suggest a bit of girlie time together. Definitely DO NOT attack or criticise the ex-boyfriend - she'll just think all the more of him. Why not suggest a bit of a treat for the pair of you - a sauna together or even simply going for a swim and just happen to mention the physical attributes of the *young fellas* down the pool - like, phwoar, look at that ! You two need to have a bit of fun time together. Get one of her aunts to take her out one evening, that should be fun too !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks. We had a good girly day out on saturday shopping (cost me a fortune lol) and it seemed to work, but she went to school today and the face is now sad again, maybe see if she wants to go for a sauna and that tomorrow evening :)
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:03 pm

All you can really do is "be there for her" - listen to her pouring her heart out, crying, sobbing etc and just suggesting other things to do. There is no way you (or anyone else) can *make it better* - she has to come to terms with the situation herself - it's all part of growing up. Now, I wish someone would tell me when I've finished growing up, so that I can get on with the rest of my life ha ha !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby legend » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:06 pm

sandra ,she will be ok.
let her go out with her pals and have som fun and some drink.
tell her if shes good ill get her another bracelet.lol
tell her i said hi and to have some fun.when shes old like us,i mean you,itll be too late lol.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:17 am

legend wrote:sandra ,she will be ok.
let her go out with her pals and have som fun and some drink.
tell her if shes good ill get her another bracelet.lol
tell her i said hi and to have some fun.when shes old like us,i mean you,itll be too late lol.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

thanks stevie I'll let her know :) (no drinking tho)

she'll hold you to the braclet lol xx
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby legend » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:55 am

jeez looks like i gotta stock up at the dolphin shop againnnnn

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:54 pm

from my bitter experience i've found that the best medicine is acknowledging her feelings: "oh, you do really miss him, don't you...?" "it's tough losing a partner especially just before valentines."
"you did think the world of him."

yadda-yadda.

so she'll cry? that's good, it washes away a bit of the misery.

the more you agree with her, the more she'll let go.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:05 am

Stop the bus...............the heart is mended, the romance is back on (for the time being) he gave her some line and she melted. Thankyou all for your advice :D
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:11 pm

oh well, might as well save it somewhere handy though...
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Romance and Friendships