Do you believe in marriage...

Do you have questions about interpersonal relationships? Get and give advice on friendships, marriage, and romance here.

Do you believe in marriage...

Postby Sandra » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:39 am

Is it really neccessary to get married or is living in sin the better way to go?

Years ago marriage was essential to family life and financial and economic reasons, but times change.

So if you met your match would you tie the knot or not?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:45 am

I'd definitely get hitched.

However, seeing how men are often persecuted during divorce proceedings, plus the various assaults on the definition of marriage, is it any wonder why marriage isn't as attractive as it once was?
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:12 pm

marriage is most definitely overrated. it's just another way for people to assume the trappings of a life they see in movies, books, etc. they jump into it without truly grasping the nature of the commitment.

i don't plan on ever getting married. i don't want to be bound to someone like that legally or emotionally. i'd rather live in "sin" and then be able to leave when it's not working any longer.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Silke » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:40 am

Here the finance part is still a good reason. I would never jump into it though, and it should be a decission made by the mind, not the heart. would I tie the knot? Probably not, but I wouldn´t swear on it.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby chicklin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 am

Can't see me doing it again - I'm better off on my own
Karma will always come back and get you so be nice to everyone
chicklin
Trapped Under Ice

Re: Do you believe in marriage...

Postby haysi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:06 pm

Sandra wrote:Is it really neccessary to get married or is living in sin the better way to go?

Years ago marriage was essential to family life and financial and economic reasons, but times change.

So if you met your match would you tie the knot or not?

Its not that its 'necessary' but I would like to think that I will get married. I have nothing against people living in sin either.
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 am

"living in sin"... what a quote! living together is very normal indeed, especially for a pack-animal like humans... we need eachother, just like woves depending on the other members of their pack. sin indeed!
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby haysi » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:21 am

Silke wrote:"living in sin"... what a quote! living together is very normal indeed, especially for a pack-animal like humans... we need eachother, just like woves depending on the other members of their pack. sin indeed!

I agree :biggrin:
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:34 am

been there, done it...

bought the shirt, didn't fit.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:33 pm

I was married before, but I find I'm not the kind of animal who does well in captivity ...
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby bea » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:02 pm

hmm, marriage. i'd like to think it was a good idea but deep down i totally believe thats its an outdated custom which has no place in the modern world. I can't claim to have much experience but i do believe that most relationships have a lifespan of about 6 years. People chnage constantly and what you first loved you may well drive you bonkers a few years down the line.

and it hurts when it all goes wrong.

kids and bits of paper are bad ideas.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby spithray » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Marriage was 'invented' in a time when people were only living into their 40s anyway, so to expect to stay with someone until you're both into your 70s is unreasonable. I just don't see the point in getting married. If I love someone, why would I need a certificate to prove it? People who do get married should enter into it with an assumption that the marriage won't last. It saves being disappointed. And if anyone thinks they're getting their grubby little mitts on half my stuff, they've got another thing coming.
Rose: If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the north?
Doctor: Lots of planets have a north.
spithray
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:47 am

i think if you are lucky enough to find someone that you really click with then it might be worth it. my parents were happily married for 32 years and would still be so if not for her death. most of the married friends i have are happily, blissfully, joyfully married. they are lucky. but i know plenty that haven't managed to get there.

i'm one of them. but i don't have that burning desire to be married or have that level of committment with anyone. ever.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 pm

meadow wrote:i think if you are lucky enough to find someone that you really click with then it might be worth it.

I thought I clicked twice, bullsh*t, load of cobblers if you ask me, marriage sucks :mad:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby sassie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Yes I do believe in marriage.....
sassie
Helpless

Postby legend » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:07 pm

each tio their own but i tried i failed .
i resisted the temptation to do it again.
rightly so as it turned out .
would i marry again?
cant see it .
not in this lifetime pal :shock: .

anyway whod have me ????/ :biggrin:
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Return to Romance and Friendships