emotions.

Do you have questions about interpersonal relationships? Get and give advice on friendships, marriage, and romance here.

emotions.

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:18 pm

Are you good at hiding your emotions from friends and family or can they usually tell if something is wrong with you? Would you rather deal with problems on your own or is it best to talk it over with someone?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Mads » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:51 pm

I'm good at hiding my emotions at work. At home it's a bit different because my girlfriend knows straight away what kind of mood I'm in. I've never been able to hide my feelings from her - not that I'd want to. The only other person who can read me like a book is my father. It really annoys me too for some reason. :lol:

I'd rather deal with problems alone, and I rarely talk them over with someone. I've found that certain people simply can't be trusted. Sometimes you're left with no alternative but to ask for help/advice, and I'm not too proud to do that. I just choose my friends more carefully these days.
When helping the wicked, twisted and evil, expect no gratitude and be thankful if you escape with your life.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Silke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:30 pm

Sometimes you're left with no alternative but to ask for help/advice, and I'm not too proud to do that.

...I just might be....

not many read me like a book, but some do. Some read me too badly, meaning what I "know" I´ve comunicated isn´t presieved at all. Both infuriates me.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:46 pm

i can be read like a book and i'm really upfront about when i'm unhappy or pissed off in a big way.

i prefer to keep to myself. i find that asking people or talking it over seems to make them feel they can offer unwanted and unneeded advice more often than not. the exception is my NSM, Amy and a few other trusted friends.

but more often than not i just keep to myself.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Mads » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:28 am

meadow wrote: I find that asking people or talking it over seems to make them feel they can offer unwanted and unneeded advice more often than not.

Yes, I know what you mean, Meadow. There's nothing worse than that. That kind of advice is more of a wind up than a help!
When helping the wicked, twisted and evil, expect no gratitude and be thankful if you escape with your life.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:03 pm

My emotions are pretty much out there for the world to interpret as they see fit. I don't mask very well, but I also don't anger as easily as I did when I young(er). Things sadden me more now than they used to and although I am usually seen pretty much as an optomist on the outside, the pessimist still lives inside and thinks too damn much. I can cry at AT&T commercials, and yet remain steely eyed and emotionless in hearing testimony in court or reading transcripts of testimony regarding the most heinous crimes against humanity. I am not too good at keeping it together when some I love is hurt though.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 pm

nope

I have been told countless times that what i am thinking is very obvious on my face

sometimes that works for you...
more often against!
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Re: emotions.

Postby haysi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:25 pm

Sandra wrote:Are you good at hiding your emotions from friends and family or can they usually tell if something is wrong with you? Would you rather deal with problems on your own or is it best to talk it over with someone?

I used to hide my emotions, never talk to anyone about things that were bothering me or upsetting me. I was very protective of my emotions and felt that being hurt or upset was private and therefore tended to keep myself to myself. Except with my friend Elaine, she always seemed to know when I was upset and could read me like a book.

I have learned that it is best to talk problems over with someone. After my mum passed away I couldnt talk about how I was feeling and how it was affecting me. I couldnt talk to family and found that talking to online friends did help and I thank them for that. I also spoke to a counsellor which really and truly helped me to recognise the grieving process. I probably speak to my work colleagues a lot too as I spend a lot of time with them both at work and socially.

Hx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:33 pm

I am glad that you found help, Haysi

I have no idea how `old you are... I am guessing pretty young....
losing at mom when young must be devastating.. and I am so sorry for your loss...

my mom passed when I was 35 and that was not easy...

you are right.. talking about your feelings.. and finding a support system helps.
I am glad it worked for you.....

:D
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby haysi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:45 pm

Thank you Solana, I was actually 39 when my mum passed away, and I feel rather lucky to have had her in my life up to that age. She was absolutely brilliant and was a friend as well as my mum. Without exception, all of my friends loved her and I think that it was difficult for me to talk to them because they were devastated too.

I am so glad that I saught help and also spoke to my boss at work as I felt that I was not coping well. I am going through the grief circle and can recognise where I am - and where I have been. There have been some setbacks, but I am further forward and that is a good sign.

Hx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:16 pm

Hx back at ya
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Return to Romance and Friendships