Viewing Unread Posts

This is the Brainformation Site Support Forum. Ask questions about Brainformation and one or more of our gurus will give you the answer. Alternately, give us some suggestions on how to make this forum a better experience.

Viewing Unread Posts

Postby Makinamess » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 am

When I log on here, I can tell which threads have had new posts - for instance in this skin (soft blue), I get an open book. However, if I log off before I've read all the new posts and then log back on again, I don't see the unread posts as being open books - it appears that I have read them, when I've not !

What am I doing wrong ?
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Rusty » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:20 am

You aren`t doing anything wrong as far as I can tell because the same happened to me with that skin and also the skin I`m using now which is crimson but when it happens with the crimson skin,I just check each forum and any I didn`t read before logging off,are in a lighter red colour.
It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.
Site Admin

Postby Yogi » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:05 pm

While that is an irritating feature of our boards, it is unfortunately normal. The unread posts are tracked for each session a user logs in. If you close the session before you read all the posts, then the next time you look at the forums you will see only those unread posts since your most recent visit. The older ones will not be tracked.

As far as I know that quirk is not related to any particular style. It is built into the basic forum software.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Big Kahuna

Postby Makinamess » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Rusty and Yogi - I thought I was cracking up (errrr, even more than normal :lol: ). I was just trying a different skin (Cobalt Blue) in case it made a difference but nope. Not to worry, I will just have to *make time* to read every single post each time I log on - that's an excellent excuse for spending even more time on the 'puter than ever :biggrin:
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:32 pm

And why I am careful as to when I start reading BF. I wait for a time which I have time for 40 posts, and then wait for my normal Firefox crash, and then go to BF. :teach:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Holier Than Thou

Postby legend » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:19 pm

sometimes i get logged out.
when i return the main page doesnt show new posts.
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
Holier Than Thou

Return to Ask A Guru