no red dots

This is the Brainformation Site Support Forum. Ask questions about Brainformation and one or more of our gurus will give you the answer. Alternately, give us some suggestions on how to make this forum a better experience.

no red dots

Postby bea » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:16 am

When I logged in here just then everything was blank (no red dots) and it said there had been no new posts since last night. So i looked in my posts and there were millions of new posts, just none showing up. Why could this be? Is this normal (its never happened before) or do you think that someone has logged in as me and then logged out so it looks like there is no posts (it could have been someone i live with, but they don't know my password so its highly unlikely). I know pilvikki managed to break 200 horses yesterday so is this just a little bug going on at the minute or is it just me?

:biggrin:
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:26 am

First of all, I'm not sure what "red dots" you are talking about. I presume it has to do with the particular style you are using and indicates posts not read since your last session. And, that is the key to understanding those notifications. Each time you log in is considered a separate session. The flags pointing out what is still unread by you are only valid for the current session. If you log off and then log back in again right away, a new session is created and the flags are gone.

I suspect you know all the above, so let me point out one other quirk of our board. The only style that is more or less guarenteed to work all the time is sub-silver. Unfortunately it is a boring style and not many people use it. All the other styles were created by third parties and may or may not be updated to work with the current version of the software. Unless there are major flaws, I keep these not so perfect styles available because people like them in spite of their shortcommings.

If you are having a consistent problem, change the style to sub-silver. If the problem goes away the style has a bug in it. Let me know about the bug so that I can try to do something about it. or confess that I'm lost as well :D
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby bea » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28 am

I use holiday red yogi and the red dots indicate when there are new posts in a section. its working now as it highlighted u had answered my query. i'll keep a beady eye on it. cheers
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:59 am

OK Bea. But, if it acts up on you again let me know.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby StVandal » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:43 pm

Sometimes I'll not log in for a few days and it doesn't indicate any new posts, though I can see from the newest post date that there are posts I haven't read.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:47 pm

yogi, i just logged into my usual crimson and posted an answer. when i got back to the index, all New Post markers had been wiped out.

this has happened several times and at first i thought it was just a temp glitz, but it appaears not to be the case.

sometimes there are no new post markers to begin with.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:49 pm

i changed to subsilver to see what happens.

how... ZZZZzzzzz....
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Ask A Guru