post removal services.

This is the Brainformation Site Support Forum. Ask questions about Brainformation and one or more of our gurus will give you the answer. Alternately, give us some suggestions on how to make this forum a better experience.

post removal services.

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:00 pm

:tongue:

i was just wondering... when yogi takes out posts for whatever reason, would it not be helpful to have a mention about why? f. ex.

pilvikki - off topic

that would serve as a reminder, as i for one have a weeee bit of a problem remembering that.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:35 pm

Kia ora Hooch

"mine is not to reason why........."
Dennis owns and operates this site, and as I see it, owes no-one any explanation
The Forums guidelines are there for all to read, and perhaps a perusal of them will make the reason clear
All have the chance to contact him personally if they so desire seeking a reason

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:27 pm

well, i know, but if i don't remember posting anything and it vanished, i'll not know that i have erred.

see?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Kia ora Hooch

but if i don't remember posting anything and it vanished,
:lol:

I am sure you meant something else

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 pm

nooo... if i posted a daft comment and yogi binned it and i didn't even remember it being there, then i'd not be reminded about my misbehaviour and didn't learn a thing.

well, ok, granted, can't teach old dog...

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:11 am

Kia ora Hooch

but if i don't remember posting anything and it vanished,

If you don't remember posting, how can you know it vanished :lol:

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:30 pm

This topic was moved from the Random Thoughts forum because it better fits in with the idea of letting the membership offer ideas and suggestions relevant to the operation of this site.

It's easy to forget that we have definite rules of engagement in place because there was no need to refer to them very often in the past. If you haven't read them lately, it would be a good idea to review them here: <a href="http://www.brainformation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5518">Brainformation Code of Conduct</a> In essence the rules say we should try to get along with each other by showing respect for our individual members. Reporting of abuse is covered as are points of etiquette, and the responsibility of the site's moderators.

I believe the Code of Conduct is well understood, but several of the forums here have additional guidelines. Those guidelines set the protocal for that specific forum, and in general they clarify a point or two in the original code. The forum guidelines may loosen the rules a bit, as in Flame Throwers, or they may add rigid structure as in the Debate and Discussion forum. In all cases the Code of Conduct is the basis for all participation in the discussions.

The administrators, sometimes called moderators, are bound to enforce the Code of Conduct. One of the powers inherent in site administration is the ability to move, delete, and modify posts. I want to call attention to one specific article describing our moderator's responsibilities:

2- Site Moderators may at their discretion, and without prior warning, remove or alter posts which are judged to be inappropriate or in violation of our Code of Conduct.

Due to certain disruptive activity in our forums lately, this moderator function has come into high focus. Like the rest of the Code of Conduct, it has been there since day one, but a need to enforce it has only cropped up within the last month or two. Obviously, once this administrative action has been applied, it cannot be reversed. I realize it may be a personal affront to have your post deleted without a formal explanation and opportunity to appeal. Indiscriminate use of the delete function has caused more than one web community to crumble. I can assure all of you that major efforts are being exerted to not misuse and abuse the delete key, but in some instances it cannot be avoided.

Perhaps the most misunderstood application of the moderator's responsibility to delete inappropriate posts stems from the goings on in the Debate and Discussion forum. That particular forum was created by request of our members so that a space may be allocated for serious debate and discussion - something perceived to be missing in the other less formal forums we host. As such, the Code of Conduct is being more strictly enforced, as pointed out in the <a href="http://www.brainformation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6848"> Forum Guidelines</a>

The Debate and Discussion forum requires the poster of a topic to make it clear what is being proposed for discussion. If it's not clear, the topic will be moved to another forum. Any responses must focus on that specific topic and form a continuity that expands on the points made to support or argue against it. This is not easy to do for an inexperienced debater, and we are not expecting strict debate rules to be followed. However, if a reply does not fit in with the continuity of the discussion, it is subject to being deleted. That means simply saying "I agree" or "Go f*** yourself" can be deleted in that they do not advance serious discussion.

I apologize to all of you who have had posts deleted and are clueless about why it happened. The need to moderate certain discussions has intensified lately, and I do not always have time to explain why something is being deleted. I may post general comments about what was deleted and why, but your specific post may or may not be addressed in my comment. Above all else, I try to be even handed and fair in how this board is moderated. If you think some posts, or posters, are being favored over others, let the administrators know about it. Administrators are not perfect, and they are accountable for their actions. Feel free to approach them with any of your concerns.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Return to Ask A Guru