People?

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

People?

Postby josh012404 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:41 pm

Why do people care so much about what other people believe in?

Who cares what religion people practice as long as you found what is good for you?
josh012404

Postby Silke » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:55 pm

...well, the answer comes down to the religion itself really. Some religions state that beliving anything else is a sin (or some thing like it) The punishment for not beliving in "The One True Religion" differs from all between death to having to bear over with the fact that they want to save you.

Then of course you have those who´s religion say that everyone has a right to belive what they want. These people don´t care. i don´t really care, I only find it facinating.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:48 pm

As I often say in school, you don't have to like everybody, but you do need to get along.

That said, I put the person before the label - if a person is a good person, good. If the person's a jerk, it's not because s/he is a (fill in the blank) but because s/he's a jerk.

Finally, anyone who says their religion is the only one and wants to kill any non-believers/infidels... no!
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:15 pm

i don't "care" per se, i'm just curious as to what makes them tick.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Re: People?

Postby ohlia » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:43 am

josh012404 wrote:Why do people care so much about what other people believe in?

Who cares what religion people practice as long as you found what is good for you?

It's human nature. Some don't care but then there are
those who think their way is always the right way and
would try to convince and control others.

Hopefully you are a strong person who have
control on your mind and make wise choices.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby josh012404 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:47 am

ohlia wrote:

It's human nature. Some don't care but then there are
those who think their way is always the right way and
would try to convince and control others.

Hopefully you are a strong person who have
control on your mind and make wise choices.

Well it is not in this guys nature.. I like reading about all of the religions but do not want nor care to make somebody else believe in my theories.. I just don't see why people have to try to force people into following them..
josh012404

Postby ohlia » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:06 pm

josh012404 wrote:
Well it is not in this guys nature.. I like reading about all of the religions but do not want nor care to make somebody else believe in my theories.. I just don't see why people have to try to force people into following them..

I know what you mean, I feel the same way.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby josh012404 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Yeah. If only more people did but then again for me to feel this way is trying to make people follow my idea...
josh012404

Postby legend » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:41 pm

I DONT SUPPOSE IT MATTERS.
AS LONG AS PEOPLE DONT TRY TO FORCE THEIR BELIEFS ON YOU.
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby kg5uc » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Josh: <i>"I just don't see why people have to try to force people into following them.."</i>

Prostelyzation and conversion are written in to most of the major religions. Some following this stricture go a little "off the wall," if you will, when those they are trying to convert resist the conversion, and they become a little too "insistent" in their efforts, sometimes resorting to physical violence.

Then, of course, there are some who make their own interpretations of their scriptures to suit their level of aggression.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby van » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:43 am

Kia ora

Do people actually care?, or is it a reaction to what others are trying to push down your throat?
Lets face it, some are in your face and space with their belief, caring little about what you believe in
So should we sit back and take it?
If it harm none, I don't give a shit, tho I am interested in their mind games
On the otherhand if they try and shove their beliefs down my throat, they will get a short sharp reply
Don't push yours on me and I won't push mine on you

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

My side of the line.

Postby Skinjob » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:35 am

I believe in keeping on my side the line, and honoring other people's space. I expect the same in return.

When people want to change me personally, change my country without due process, get in my way, or discount what is mine, then they will get a severe reaction from me. (For instance tree-huggers or eco-terrorists entering my property and causing trouble.)

If someone approaches me with their religious tracts, then I take them and I'm polite. But, if they are what I call "Rambo Christians", or wild-eyed atheists that want to change the social order by force, misusing the court system, or running out in the streets blocking traffic, slandering me and my country, then they have crossed my line. All bets are off.

What you believe in is none of my business as long as you keep it to yourself. We have a right to believe what we want, but we have no right to dishonor our neighbors and cram stuff down their throats, flaunt stuff in public that belongs behind closed doors, collectively indoctrinate other people's children, or violate property rights.

So, I don't care what other people believe in as long as they keep it to theirselves, and don't cross the line.

I don't care what religion people practice as long as they follow the spirit and intent of our laws, and they keep it to themselves.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:37 pm

Skinjob

Quote:
"-- change my country without due process,---- misusing the court system"

Is this however also not the way that those who want to extend their hold on power operate?
Without due process they ride roughshod over the Constitution and bypass the Law Courts to implement their policies
Is that acceptable?
If therefore some people organise themselves to protect those rights, are they wrong?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Makinamess » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:43 pm

I don't actually care one iota what you believe in. I have no religious beliefs - how you behave and act are a bit more important to me !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:49 am

i'm with you messy on that!

as for bill, i need a clearer head to ponder over that one.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:57 am

To often, on other forums, what we believe or don't believe becomes a huge issue. Try posting something critical of intelligent design and you will get a lot of religious people shouting and howling about morality and how they are better than people who don't believe. The same can be said if you posted something critical of evolution.

What someone believes is of no concern to me, i will never judge someone because of their religion or lack of.

But the unfortunate truth is that there are people who think they are better because they believe in a God, because they have faith, and they try to ram their faith down peoples throats. That's where the trouble starts, when people start preaching morality at you because you don't believe what they believe. More wars have been started because of religion than any other reason. Look at Iraq now, it's like a crusade to the more ultra right wing, they see it as a war between Christianity and Islam.

People should just get on with their lives and not make such a big issue out of what you believe or don't believe. I'm sure if this could happen one day we might see an end to wars.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Q: WHat's worse than people who believe they are better because they believe in a God

A: Those that think they are better because they don't believe in a God.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 pm

That's very true, Bedford. But it's clear from the full answers people have given, that your noncommittal sound bite is unfounded. People just want to be left alone, if you believe something then fine, if you don't believe something that's also fine. But don't try and ram your belief or non belief down our throats. If you believe in a God, you're not better than someone who doesn't. If you don't believe in a God, you're not better than someone who does.

Bedford, you may think it's a joke, or a way to attack other forum members with your empty statements. But people feel strongly about their beliefs. There is no need to belittle those feelings, no need at all!
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:30 pm

If you ever read the book Utopia, you will understand why atheism can be a problem, especially when it comes to the anti-theism that some today have. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia#More.27s_Utopia

Religion makes society better, usually. I'm basically still Christian, but my best friend is druidic, and his wife, with whom I can have civil discourse with, worships the Egyptian cat-goddess Bast. (No, I am not kidding.) I'm for letting Menorahs as decorations in the public square, as I believe that manger scenes should be allowed on public property. After all, it's freedom of religion, not from religion.

Of course, I'd rather the menorahs and manger scenes to be depicted as such:

http://www.penguin-place.com/cgi-bin/ht ... 34273.4028

:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:56 am

All that maybe true, Bedford. But you're still missing the point of this post. No one cares if you're a Christian, a Muslim, an atheist, you can be anything you want as long as you don't bother other people with your beliefs. You could worship the devil for all i care, but as long as you don't go on and on about how much better society would be if everyone worshipped the devil, and i should worship the devil because if i don't i'm a bad person, then we'd get along fine.

But therein is the problem. Often religious, and non religious people can't just allow people to believe what they want to believe, the must try and force others to believe what they believe.

I think the consensus here is that no one cares what you believe, as long as you don't start ranting about how good and right your beliefs are.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Next

Return to Brain Formation