Humanity

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Postby Skinjob » Fri May 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Which "Well known humanitarians", Van?

How do you define "Humanitarians", through their actions, or through their talk and goody-feely attitude? To me, the greatest Humanitarians are realists that get down and dirty and get food on the table, or give aid, without stealing it from others with oppressive laws.

How about Mother Theresa and even Henry Ford? Ford paid higher than Union Wages, but he insisted that his people save something. Through his efforts, he put average people into new automobiles. Any working man could own a car, and buy a home. Who else did that?

HUMANITARIANS

Susan B. Anthony -- Activist in the antislavery movement, advocate for women's right to vote. Born a Quaker, member of Unitarian congregation for 40 years.

Clara Barton -- Founder of the American Red Cross.

Dorthea Dix -- 19th Century Pioneer in the rights of the mentally ill. 123 hospitals were build because of her work and influence.

Florence Nightingale -- Nurse, hospital reformer, humanitarian

Horace Mann -- Pioneer in public education for all Americans

Albert Schweitzer -- Humanitarian, Theologian, Missionary, Organist,

Environmentalist and Medical Doctor. Became a member of the Church of the Larger Fellowship, a Unitarian church by mail for those who do not live near a Unitarian church.

Robert Gould Shaw -- Fought for Abolition of Slavery, Profiled in the Movie "Glory"

There are thousands of Humanitarians working through church groups and others sending tons and tons of food and clothing to people all over the world, one heart to another. It's no government required, and that's the best kind.

As in the book, "The Ugly American", much of the aid and assistance to 3rd world countries is never allowed to be aknowledged or known to the recipients. Some dictator takes credit for it, and continues to brain-wash the people with anti-west propaganda.

Those complaining the most in this world, contribute the least.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Fri May 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Kia ora Stan

Why, thank you for posting them for me :)
I said they were wellknown

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat May 05, 2007 12:57 am

skinjob wrote:Those complaining the most in this world, contribute the least.

Amen to that!
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat May 05, 2007 1:05 am

I've always liked this quote, based on Thomas Aquinas's take on the "Cardinal Sin" of greed.

"Greed is a sin against God, just as all mortal sins, in as much as man condemns things eternal for the sake of temporal things."
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Fri May 11, 2007 3:07 am

Kia ora Andy

Define "sin" and "God"
The quote makes sense in some respects, not in others
Methinks the quote would be more relevant if couched in everyday terms

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri May 11, 2007 4:40 am

I can't really define "God" as i believe he only exists in some peoples imagination. Therefore everyone who believes will have a totally different definition of God to the next believer. I think the definition of "sin" is when someone breaks one of Gods laws.

I agree, the quote could do with being updated.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Sat May 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Kia ora Andy

Languages and words therein make interesting study
Take the word "sin" for example
In the original context "sin" means a "falling short of the mark"
Thus one could claim that say an athlete falling short of his/her targeted performance has "sinned"
On the otherhand however the general usage of the word conveys a "bad/evil" intent

. I think the definition of "sin" is when someone breaks one of Gods laws.

How can one define one thing in relation to something else for which one has no definition?
How easy it is for us to adopt the general concensus rather then exercise our minds and think on these things
"God" is a manmade constraint borne out of ignorance and seeking to explain that which we do not comprehend
If one does not believe in God/s how can one "sin" against God?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun May 13, 2007 4:15 am

van wrote:If one does not believe in God/s how can one "sin" against God?

I've no idea, Van. I got the definition of "sin" from a religious web site. :D

To me "God" and "sin" are two man made things to keep the herd in check. If you're evil and sin you go to hell, if you're good and pious you go to heaven, that kind of BS.

I can't truly define "God" or "sin," it would take someone with faith to do that. All i can do is copy and paste a definition, as to me neither exists but in the minds of believers.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Sun May 13, 2007 7:00 pm

Kia ora Andy

I got the definition of "sin" from a religious web site.

The power to create fear

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Previous

Return to Brain Formation