Humanity

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Humanity

Postby van » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:20 am

Kia ora

Much has been made of "humanity, humanitarian" etc
Yet when all is said and done, we are a pathetic lot!
By and large the bulk of those who have the means and wherewithall, give squat about those less fortunate, being quite happy to exploit the less fortunate slaving away to produce our insatiable demand for consumer goods
Failing that, of course the odd excursion to "liberate" and enforce "democracy" is regarded as an interesting sideshow!
It would seem to this writer that most of what the Western World revolves around is seeking its own gain to the detriment of all others
Cynical? most certainly! but then I look upon the world with wide open eyes and mindful that "whatsoever a man sows , so shall he reap"
One day the technological world which we have created will fail, and we shall be faced with the wrath of the exploited!
"And the times, they are a'changing"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby bermbits » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Cree proverb: "Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money."
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:58 am

Kia ora Dave

Many thanks for that!
I have added that to my collection

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:32 pm

As is get older I need less to survive, and it takes nothing to make me happy because I’m always contented. The simpler I live, the more beautiful and meaningful my life become to me.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Wed May 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Kia ora Lia

The simpler I live, the more beautiful and meaningful my life become to me.

Simplicity is the keynote to life
When things are kept simple it is easier to comprehend thus less stressful
Complicate things beyond what the average person can readily comprehend and stress sets in with its attendent frustrations boiling over into negative attitudes

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Wed May 02, 2007 8:43 pm

The problem is, that the ones that have the least are the most adamant against those who do. It's called "Class Envy", and it's social poison. It is whipped to froth by Marxists and other charlatans, and it causes wars and blood baths of monumental size.

It's social poison, because it applies negative stereotypes to achievers, destroys incentive, and attempts to make noble those who are not. It is pessimism and excuses for underachievers and rationalizes failure. It is divisive, and it is a lie.

If you don't like Bill Gates, build a better operating system and market it better. If you don't like General Motors, do like Toyota did and build a better car.

The most oppressive of all the mega-wealthy are liberals like Ted Turner, and George Soros, and the crowd of Hollywood Limousine Liberals who believe that others should live "Green", but not themselves.

Then there are the politicians always screaming about "The Rich", and they are the rich, not the rest of us. They go against common sense legislation and proclaim that it only helps "The Rich".

There is a majority of good people both wealthy and not wealthy that fit no stereotype. They have to suffer through all the lies.

"The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone's concern and like vampires they suck our life's blood."

…. Bette Davis
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu May 03, 2007 7:34 am

Mmmm, thought i'd come to the politics section by mistake judging by the last answer, but shouldn't be too surprised eh?

Humanitarian is a dirty word to some. Take the mega rich organisations like Nike and Gap. No one was aware of their work practices until the BBC uncovered the sweat shops and child labour they used to make their products. Their disgusting work practices made them vast amounts of money, why pay an American or Brit a good wage when you can pay a 12 year old in Cambodia £1 a week for doing the same job? Both companies tried to deny they knew anything about it, the BBC proved them both to be liars. Unfortunately the rich will always exploit the poor, it's the way of the world.

Wars will always be fought, but now they're not fought for honour, but for greed. The west needs an reliable source of oil to feed it's addiction, but it won't buy the oil, no, like most junkies theft is the order of the day. Why buy from a strong dealer when you can take from a weaker one?

I also see the world with wide open eyes. I can see the evil men do without my vision being clouded by an obsession with politics. The rule of humanity is the survival of the fittest, but the rules were lost many a moon ago. Now the people running this little planet of ours are not the fittest, but the most depraved and debauched. To become rich these days you must sell you soul and betray your fellow humans.

I think we've lost what it means to be human. We maybe need to find that meaning again, before it's too late.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Re: Humanity

Postby ohlia » Thu May 03, 2007 8:23 am

AJRC_CS wrote:The rule of humanity is the survival of the fittest, but the rules were lost many a moon ago. I think we've lost what it means to be human. We maybe need to find that meaning again, before it's too late.

I strongly agree with the above.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Thu May 03, 2007 4:39 pm

Kia ora

The rule of humanity is the survival of the fittest,

I think that this quotation is often misinterpreted
Many would suggest that beauty, wealth and power resemble "fitness", yet nothing could be further from the truth
Likewise the human animal when bereft of love and compassion becomes the tool of destruction
How interesting the religious spin about the sanctity of this creature while yet it is the most destructive force this planet has ever witnessed
Methinks hardly fit for survival

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Thu May 03, 2007 10:18 pm

"Mmmm, thought i'd come to the politics section by mistake judging by the last answer, but shouldn't be too surprised eh? "

What is that supposed to mean, AJRC? More flames? Evidently you didn't get enough last time when the topic was closed by the moderator. :biggrin:

I haven't seen your Double Standard around much. Where is he? :whistle:
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Fri May 04, 2007 2:38 am

Kia ora

For crying out loud Stan! give your bloody politics a bloody rest!
No matter what someone posits, you pipe up with some stupid bloody political crap!
If you want to constantly lay some bloody blame for christ's sake do something positive or are you a "victim"?
Wanna make a noise? whirl the bullroarer I sent you!

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri May 04, 2007 4:57 am

Van, because the fittest who rule us are now the most depraved and debauched, you're right some if not all are not fit for survival. The term survival of the fittest no longer applies to humanity, as the fittest are usually downtrodden with the rest, it's the survival of the most corrupt, the survival of the one who would sell his own mother for a profit. We've not had a revolution in a long time, i think ones long overdue. :D
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Yogi » Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 am

The law of the jungle has not been revoked just because we are human beings living on a densely populated planet. The animal with the greatest strength will eat his competitors alive just to survive. This is true of Bill Gates, as well as a hungry lion in an African jungle. Politics and greed are man made concepts which succumb to the basic animal instinct to survive. The arguments against class envy, debauchery, and depraved behaviors are irrelevant. Those ideas involve a false sense of morality, yet another uniquely human concept.

"Humanity" is a delusion that only exists in the mind of the philosopher and idealist. It is superseded by basic instincts which cannot be changed or revolted against. The only edge human beings have over the lower animal forms in this world is that we are more efficient at eliminating the competition. We are no more moral, no more dignified, and no more spiritual than the lot from which we evolved. You may not like what you see within, but in the end only the strongest will be around to meet the future.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri May 04, 2007 9:36 am

Maybe our morality is misplaced, but i'd rather have my morals than become someone who'd do anything to survive. I've succeeded in business so far without having to destroy my competitors, to me competition is good for business, without competition the market stagnates. Bill gates has found to his cost that eating his competitors alive brings the monopoly commission down on your head. Not that it'll ever trouble his piggy bank, but it's something for him to think about the next time a competitor comes on the scene.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Skinjob » Fri May 04, 2007 10:19 am

I'm sorry I offended people with politics, but Van's opening post was political, basic Marxism, veiled.

It means that one class is demonized on this thread, and that is "Classism". Using "the rich" for a scapegoat is a basic tenet of Marxism. "Workers cast off your chains."

Also, the concept of "Humanism" is political, and it goes counter to many belief systems, not just Christians. Where is all that "Diversity" that you people talk about? Huh?

Where do you get off saying that all rich people and corporations are greedy exploiters? It seems to me that I saw the anithesis of Capitalism taking over the world only a few short years ago, and in their wake was war, pestilence, poverty, environmental pollution, and tyranny. Putting a smiley face on all that garbage and trying to bring it back does not change things.

Most of you on this forum are probably richer than I am, but I know some rich people because I appraised property for tax purposes for 17 years. Believe me, "the rich" don't fit stereotypes any more than other people from other classes.

Corporations and industry are the life blood of all advanced countries, and unless you want to go back to being tribal, like in Africa, while scratching out a living with a stick, then you better not bite the hand that feeds you. If there is any exploitation, it comes from the warlords of those 3rd world countries, not America, not me, not my friends, and not my church. You are looking for facts in all the wrong places.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri May 04, 2007 10:34 am

:roll:
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Fri May 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Also, the concept of "Humanism" is political, and it goes counter to many belief systems, not just Christians. Where is all that "Diversity" that you people talk about? Huh?

pls clarify.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Fri May 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Kia ora Stan

I'm sorry I offended people with politics, but Van's opening post was political, basic Marxism, veiled.

Rather pathetic, particularly as no one else has made your observationI
Furthermore I would like to point out that no time has anyone accused me of posting political crap in the "Spirituality" forum
What I find interesting is that in another post you made a big issue about judging individuals without knowing them
It would seem that the lesson you learned then, you have forgotten, rather sad

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Fri May 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Kia ora Andy

We've not had a revolution in a long time, i think ones long overdue

Let us dispense with the word "revolution" lest the spectre of "politics" is thrown at us :)
However the prospect of people rising up and trying to reclaim some control over their lives seems to be getting mentioned more and more often

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Fri May 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Kia ora Dennis

"Humanity" is a delusion that only exists in the mind of the philosopher and idealist. It is superseded by basic instincts which cannot be changed or revolted against. The only edge human beings have over the lower animal forms in this world is that we are more efficient at eliminating the competition. We are no more moral, no more dignified, and no more spiritual than the lot from which we evolved. You may not like what you see within, but in the end only the strongest will be around to meet the future.

I think you are probably right
On the otherhand I do believe that change can be wrought, and base this on the lives of wellknown humanitarians
Such a belief, in my opinion, gives some hope for the future, and without it I see little but chaos and total destruction for the future
Likewise a movement along those lines can also very rapidly degenerate, leading to an endless repetition of enlightenment followed by chaos, history repeats??

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Next

Return to Brain Formation