Prophecy

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Prophecy

Postby van » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:39 pm

Kia ora

Much has been made by the fundamentalist religionists about Biblical prophecy
The following one has just caught my eye

"For the violence done to Lebanon will overwhelm you [O Israel!], and the devastation of its beasts by which you terrified them, because of human bloodshed and violence done to the land [of Lebanon], to the town and all its inhabitants."
Habakkuk 2:17

A portent of things to come?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby StVandal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Wow.. imagine.. violence in the Middle East. Huh..

:wink:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 am

Kia ora George

Alas it would seem that those who seek to promote their brand of religion are actually woefully ignorant of the very content of their Holy Books, seeking to promote the mantra of their religious "leaders" rather than ascertaining for themselves the validity of the claims made
C'est la vie

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:52 am

it's so much easier to follow than to question.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Kia ora Marjaana

A "dumb", unquestioning society is so much easier to manipulate

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 pm

it seems there are present day leaders who are counting on ignorance and even promote it.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Bedford » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:38 pm

pilvikki wrote:it seems there are present day leaders who are counting on ignorance and even promote it.

Yep; they are called Democrats. :teach:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:39 am

:lmao1:

oh, that's funny. thanks for giving me my laugh for the day there! AHAHAAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:44 pm

Mmmmm, was that you being sarcastic there, meadow? :D
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:53 am

Kia ora

If Meadow is from NZ, undoubtedly!
I note that the "Penguin" lists his/her address as " Sunnyside of Louisville"
Interestingly enuf, "Sunnyside of CH-CH" was/is a mental Institution

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:55 pm

how about that....

just be careful you get your penguins mixed up, eh?

:tongue:

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:38 am

pilvikki wrote:how about that....

just be careful you get your penguins mixed up, eh?

:tongue:

Kia ora Marjaana

Never fear dear, I know a cuddly bird when I see one! :)

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Valleysailor » Wed May 23, 2007 12:15 pm

Back on the subject of prophecy -- has anyone else seen and been overwhelmed by the History Channel's special called "Doomsday 2012"? It aired again this past Sunday night and while I usually am kinda take-it-or-leave-it when it comes to doomsday scenarios and try to keep a positive outlook even in the face of war :roll: (I know!), the information in this program was hard to dispute. Not just the Mayan calendar, but other civilizations and prophets have pretty much predicted an apocalyptical event for 12/21/12, too.

Comments?
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Wed May 23, 2007 2:58 pm

It does make me want for 2013 to come quickly, so its one less thing for me to be concerned about. :confused:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed May 23, 2007 3:30 pm

There have been many conspiracy theories about the end of days. I remember the world was predicted to end in 1989, then again in 2000and again in 2003. The world is still here, well until the next prediction by "The Lord's Witnesses" who predict the end of days on March 21, 2008. There are so many end of days scenarios it's laughable. Have a look at this site to find out what i mean.

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

I've read a few books on the subject of predictions, the "Bible Code" was an interesting read but flawed because the future it said the "Bible Code" predicted never came about. Namely the nuclear holocaust that was meant to take place in September 2006.

Conspiracy theories can sometimes be fun, but that's all they are, theories that lack readily verifiable evidence.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Wed May 23, 2007 6:28 pm

Kia ora Vs

I can't say I have seen the doco, but have read various accounts
Ancient writings dealt with repetitive disasters, and the possibility that as the Earth and the Solar system traverse their course thru the Universe that we may encounter an area of space which coincided with previous disasters
If this is so, then perhaps there is reason to pay heed to such a prophecy
Many things are cyclical and the Mayans and indeed many other cultures paid great attn to the Heavens in an attempt to predict the next "turn of the wheel"
The writings of Velikovski make interesting reading in this respect

I would point out tho that having empirical evidence would put things more in the realm of prediction, rather then prophecy
There is no doubt that the Earth has suffered dramatically at various points in time and often science has determined a regular time frame between these events
Currently there is speculation that the super vulcano called Yellowstone is over/due for an eruption
If someone were to predict a time for this to happen and it happened exactly on time, then one could perhaps claim "prophecy"
However what is often claimed to be prophecy, is a vague statement: "Yellowstone is due for an eruption", that when the event occurs will be linked in folklore as having been "prophesied"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Return to Brain Formation