Musings

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Musings

Postby van » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:31 am

Kia ora

Went outside tonite to fill my coalbucket, a beautiful clear, starlit nite, and noticed the westward progression of Orions Belt
How many know where to find it?
What about all the other signs in the sky?
The Pole Star (nth hemisphere) the Southern Cross, the false Southern Cross, Betelguese, Andromeda, Sirius etc?
Having ensconced ourselves before the "box", most are oblivious to the rythms of nature, missing out on whatever purpose life is all about
Finished the last of the grapes before the wasps and blackbirds beat me to it,noticed the lemon tree profusely flowering
Aware that our weather pattern seems to follow that of the other hemisphere, an Indian summer, tho cool autumn nights
How much longer can mankind survive?
Evermore the skies are darkening via pollution or rumours of wars
Evermore people being needlessly killed in our hurry to go from A to B
And we are supposed to be "INTELLIGENT"!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, "HURRAY F#$%K", whoever dreamed up that idea needs to come back and have a look at us now!
Nothing like the beauty of nature to examine, a pint, or a dram of Scotland's finest, to make one reflect on the idiocy of mankind!!
They say "this too shall pass"
Mayhap its passing has been set in motion, yet the vast majority remain bissfully unaware
Easter (Passover) is coming, shall we be "Passed Over" or shall we become history?
Being somewhat familiar with the nature of man, methinks the latter

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 pm

i know those guys and i miss looking at them in the southern sky like i did up north. here one can see venus and a few other faded stars on the rare clear night.

the big dipper is my favourite though and wherever i go in the world, i always look to see where it is before i feel at "home".

as for the peoples of the world, most are so busy looking after their rights that all the wrongs become inconsequencial.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:31 pm

Kia ora Marjaana

as for the peoples of the world, most are so busy looking after their rights that all the wrongs become inconsequencial.

I am not so sure
In Biblical prophecy, people are likened to the sea, and which ever way the wind blows, the waves toss and turn
In keeping with the illustration, the power of the sea is wellknown and likewise the power of the people
There are of course those who take little notice of what is happening all around them , yet sooner or later they will wake up, and when they do, brace for a storm!

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:28 pm

I've learned at a young age that there is nothing like living life simple and relishing in the beauties nature provided us with. As I become older I find myself appreciating the simple, uncomplicated things in life more and more. I think this is part of what makes me enjoy my own company; not many can adore the sound of silence, or hear the music in the ripple of a flowing stream, or listen to the rustling of trees on a windy day, or even the lashing of the waves on a rocky shore etc. Live is beautiful through my eyes and I love it. :wink:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:48 pm

i know what you mean ohlia, but look at a lot of the younger folks, they have to have something playing, talking, cackling 24/7. a friend has a tv in every room so she can keep up with whatever as she does her housework; my daughter turns on the radio in the shower for crissake!

i sometimes find the fridge makes too much noise for me...

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Kia ora

Hear, hear!
We are reasonably fortunate having bush closeby
At nite when it is quiet, you can hear the Morepork (native owl calling), other times we will have a visit from a Bellbird or Tui
Unfortunately, during the day it is not so peaceful
We have a neighbour building a steel ketch, accompanied by the running of a mobile welding plant, banging on steel, discgrinder screaming etc
I don't mind it too much, admire him for what he is doing and this too shall in time pass

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:10 am

in the city we are nestled into the old part with enormous trees and large yars with lost of them. a few hundred meters down the street there is a river and park that is left as is to grow however it will. you can follow it for miles. a couple of blocks the other way there is large park with kiddie climbers, skating rink built onto a path and loads of squirrels.

two streets up the train rumbles through but oddly enough trains and their ruckus has never bothered me, neither is the neighbour's skill saw as he's renovating.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:03 pm

Kia ora Marjaana

I am not fond of large cities, yet in their foresight many city planners have incorporated places where one relax in a more or less natural park like environment
Invariably I seek those out
The bustle of the city is muted there and give one a chance to contemplate one's navel
One of the things I enjoy watching there is people practising Tai Chi

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby bermbits » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:28 pm

From Sara Teasdale:

"There Will Come Soft Rain"

There will come soft rain and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum-trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:19 pm

Kia ora Dave

Thanks for that

Where I live and indeed in many places around the world, when man moves on, having the depleted the resource which drew him there in the first place, in no time at all nature covers her scars, renewing herself with a mantle of green, erasing man's unsightly exploitation
Alas some places do not recover due to the toxic nature of man's exploits, and they are the stark reminders of our infantile existence

"When will we ever learn? When....."

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby bermbits » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:25 pm

I have posted this here before (I believe), but it bears repeating:

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money."

-Cree Prover
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Kia ora Dave

I somehow get the feeling that most of mankind has become so brainwashed into trusting techology to fix the worlds ills that they blithely ignore the warning signs which stare us in the face
We are drowning in our own shit, yet spray deodorant in an effort to make things smell sweet

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Return to Brain Formation