Easter

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Easter

Postby van » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:22 am

Kia ora

Oh dear!
"Be not unevenly yoked together"

http://www.rense.com/general63/hip.htm

Arohanui
Shlom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:10 pm

finally the bunny identity crisis explained!

now, i'd like someone to remind of why it's called good friday here? seems a bit of a misnomer. in finland it's long friday and mother figured that was because of the dismal music and endless religious services on the radio seemed to drag the day out into oblivion.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:53 pm

I'm sorry to all the Christians, but this just makes the Christian faith all the more unreal to me. Just about every religious holiday the Christians have is stolen from paganism. They just took a pagan holiday but got rid of the pagan celebration and transplanted their own brand of religion on top. Christmas and now Easter, is nothing scared? :D
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:55 pm

AJRC_CS wrote: is nothing scared? :D

Cows in India. :teach:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Kia ora Andy

is nothing scared?

Scared we already have, I take it you meant "sacred" :lol:
Does anything have to be?
And if so, has past history and anything declared "sacred" benefitted mankind?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:55 pm

i would say yes, van. declaring certain trees, forests tracks, ponds, lakes etc served to preserve and protect them. unless they were used to human sacrifices?

a few years ago i was walking around an old graveyard from some 5000 yrs ago. it was undisturbed and a very peaceful place apart from some horses and deer wandering around. the view from the top at what would have been the place of worship had a spectacular - and most likely very advantegeous - view over a lake and surrounding countryside.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:33 pm

Kia ora Marjaana

While I appreciate what you say the term "sacred" to me has too many negative implications
In your example, "respect" would be my prefered description
"Sacred" in my opinion has more to do with "enforcement"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:07 am

Yeah, i did mean sacred. :D And no nothing is sacred as far as i'm concerned. Some objects and places are respected definitely, but not sacred.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:03 am

actually, i believe those groves etc were declared sacred with whatever connotation that entails. while respect is what i have for the forest and its denizens, many peoples truly believed some things/places were ethereal and acted accordingly. you know what i mean.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Skinjob » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 am

Well, of course if you're in the exoteric, and the concepts are beyond your level of awareness, you will have trouble with Christianity.

Selecting a few things and focusing on them with a distorted view can lead you anywhere.

For instance, the concept of Paganism being a tool of Christianity. Humans tend to communicate by what is called "Transference", which means that you compare similarities and contrast differences through analogy and other methods.

If you can't cut it, and you don't understand it, then it's human nature to use "Denial" as a "Defence Mechanism" to protect your fragile Ego.

It takes more than a bullshit session to whisk away Christianity, because some of the greatest thinkers and achivers of all time believed in the blessing of Diety, and they contributed more than any athiests, reprobates, or bullshit artists to the most noble parts of Western Civilization.

But, of course if your saints are Rosie O'Donnell, Imus, and Snoopdog, and their lot, then all bets are off. :devil:
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Kia ora Skinjob

Well, of course if you're in the exoteric, and the concepts are beyond your level of awareness, you will have trouble with Christianity.

I am well aware of the concepts of Christianity, and shape my outlook of life in harmony with them, that does not however mean that I have to "believe" in the myth
Likewise the concepts of Budhism, incorporating them into my life does not mean I am or have to become a Budhist

Selecting a few things and focusing on them with a distorted view can lead you anywhere.

Indeed, Fundamentalism springs to mind, narrow, bigotted, unable to see the whole

It takes more than a bullshit session to whisk away Christianity, because some of the greatest thinkers and achivers of all time believed in the blessing of Diety, and they contributed more than any athiests, reprobates, or bullshit artists to the most noble parts of Western Civilization

Their belief ,history shows, did not "en-noble" the Western Civilisation(sic)
You fall into the same selective delusionment, ignoring the contribution of thinkers and achievers who were atheist/agnostic etc

But, of course if your saints are Rosie O'Donnell, Imus, and Snoopdog, and their lot, then all bets are off. Devil

Ah, but are they not American saints?
The only "saint" on a pedestal that I look to is my wife!
The kids put her on the pedestal so I can't get at her! :lol:

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Sorry, there you go again adding to what I said to fit your own argument, a Strawman argument, the fallacy of "Extension". I didn't say that there were not other great thinkers that were not Christian; you added that. How about dealing with what I say instead of resorting to "False Conversion", a logical fallacy. Just because I said that all X are Y, does not mean that I implied all Y are X.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby Silke » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:11 am

...actuall the taking over celebration dates is a very common way to convirt people. Pagans did it as well. and then you have the "natural" days to celebrate (mid-summer, mid-winter, start of spring, start of harvest, end of harvest (oldertimes when the heards came back to give you a decent hunting))

the most impressive stil is christmas. When Jesus was newly born he went to hide with the lambs. I´ve never seen any lambs around chritmastime...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:34 am

I agree, Silke. How easy to convert people from paganism to Christianity if you simply hijack the pagan holidays and make them Christian holidays. So the pagan holiday of December 25th called "the birth of the Sun" or "Winter Solstice," becomes the Christian holiday "Christmas." As with Easter the pagans already celebrated this holiday as the day their Goddess Eostre was reborn every year, so the Christians hijacked this holiday as well.

Now to me it's just a little bit of a coincidence that the story of Christ follows the pagan holidays precisely. To me this just proves the bible is a good story book, with a smattering of historical references, but nothing more.

I'm with Van, you can live by Christian values without being a Christian. Spirituality is the key!

In fact a few Christians i've met on these sites are not Christians at all, to much hatred and bigotry comes from these people to ever been seen as true Christians. I think they like following the herd more than actually practicing what they preach.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Kia ora

Symbols are powerful memory aides and when researched you will find that they go way back to antiquity
They keep being resurrected and given new meanings, while often the old is ignored
I seem to recall that in Ezekiel?Isaiah? mention is made of the Xmas tree as an abomination of "pagan" worship

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Fri May 04, 2007 12:29 pm

The meanings of symbols change over time. The Swastika for instance, was an American Indian symbol long before the Nazis came along. Also, the meaning of the Swastika was different as used by the Finns, on their aircraft, from what it meant as used by the Nazis.

http://www.heathenworld.com/swastika/history.html

Certain religious and political movements often hijack symbols, and assign the symbols to their own cause using their own meanings.

(I suppose being a "Homophobe" or "Racist" is not okay, but being a "Biblephobe" against Christians is ok? It all depends on who's bull is getting gored. Right?)
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat May 05, 2007 3:22 am

Whose against Christians, skinjob? And Biblephobe isn't even a word!
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Sat May 05, 2007 12:54 pm

The kook left. The posterwhale for such things said recently "Radical Christianity is as much a danger as Radical Islam."

Plus, you will see rallies against Christians in San Francisco.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Mon May 07, 2007 9:09 am

actually, AJ, you can put whatever you want before -phobia and it becomes a word of some sort, signifying the fear of whatever is infront.

Biblephobia would thus be the fear of the bible, not the christians.

...and there is a great diffrence between racism and having a phobia for something (including religious belifs). People who has a phobia against dogs doesn´t automatically work to have all dogs shot down, they don´t work towards abusing dogs, they simply becomes hysterically if a dog comes within sight and go to great lengths to stop that form happening.

..that is why I think the word "homophobe" is used too often. Some of them doesn´t have anything akin to phobia, some of them are pure racist but get off lightly because it is a "phobia". silly thing.

radical any religon is dangerous.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 am

That's true, Silke. But Homophobia is an actual word in the English Dictionary meaning "a fear or dislike of homosexuals," "Biblephobe" isn't in the Dictionary. It's purely a trigger word used to denigrate, nothing more. But i know what you mean when you say you could put "phobia" after any word and it becomes "an extreme fear of a particular thing or situation."

I also don't use the word homophobia as it doesn't properly describe the people who truly hate homosexuals. I'd rather just say they were anti-gay or gay haters.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Next

Return to Brain Formation