The Dark Side of Nature 2

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

The Dark Side of Nature 2

Postby van » Fri May 11, 2007 2:59 am

Kia ora

Following on from Stan's (Skinjob) post (Random Thoughts)
Why deem that Nature has "a dark side"?
Given that "Human Nature" equates itself with "Enlightenment" while historically proving false to that claim, should one be able to decide that Nature has a dark side?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri May 11, 2007 4:56 am

No, is the simple answer. I think many people see a dark side and light side. Maybe a cute deer would be a light side and a ugly bear a dark side, now if the ugly bear killed the cute deer then the bear would be evil. But in reality it's all Mother Nature at work, the food chain has no time for morality, no time for light and dark sides. If the bear is hungry it will do what it must to survive, if that means killing a cute deer then that's what it'll do.

I think too often we project our own morality onto nature, when really our morality has no place in nature. But that's "humanity" for you. :D
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Fri May 11, 2007 6:38 am

everything in nature has a duality...light and dark.

"dark" doesn't need to be equated with negativity or something "bad".

death is dark but not necessarily evil or bad but it is a part of the whole of nature and humanity.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby bermbits » Fri May 11, 2007 12:11 pm

My feeling is that Nature simply "is"! There is no good or bad - it's what we label it for whatever reason. Nature is. Rain is "good" if you are a farmer. If you are going on a picnic, rain is "bad." Actually, It's neither (or both). Rain is... rain.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Fri May 11, 2007 3:08 pm

I believe everything is here for a reason and supports a function in the use and benefit of all creation and the environment.
Someone’s decision about there being a dark side of nature, that is only their perception. Everything has different meanings and uses to each of us man, beast, and the environment.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Sat May 12, 2007 5:07 am

I think all forces in nature is good; there is no bad.

if not for rain, things will not grow. if not for the bear taking the deer it might become too many deers there, trampeling and eating too much vetetables, killing off the nature there and dying in turn. might beak out a pest of some sort, destroying even more. what happens in nature happens for a reason: nature´s balance.

perhaps humans is that pest?
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Sun May 13, 2007 7:05 pm

Kia ora Silke

I think all forces in nature is good; there is no bad.

Quite
Of course if you are a nature lover and take up hugging trees and become Wiccan, you are deemed to favour the "dark side"
Goes to show how the mind works when afeared

perhaps humans is that pest?

Couldn't agree more!!

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 pm

exactly how does a Wiccan "favour" the dark side? if you mean because the Christians say so out of ignorance then your statement makes a little sense. otherwise, i'm confused. i'm Wiccan and do not favor any side more than the other. both are part of life and death. one isn't better than the other since all are part of Mother Nature.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Sun May 13, 2007 8:23 pm

yes, you are confused:

Of course if you are a nature lover and take up hugging trees and become Wiccan, you are deemed to favour the "dark side"

in other words, some people will label a wiccan as evil/from the dark side, NOT that you are.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 pm

meadow: I belive that was ironic.

wiccan, eh? I thought about becomming one once, until I found out how they generally had an attitude of "good you want to learn, but learn of someone else because I refuse to stuff my religion down your throat". Seeing how I didn´t come anywhere (and I talked to at least twenty before realizing defeat) I gave up. Nice principles though... :wink:
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Mon May 14, 2007 6:27 pm

Kia ora Meadow

exactly how does a Wiccan "favour" the dark side? if you mean because the Christians say so out of ignorance then your statement makes a little sense. otherwise, i'm confused. i'm Wiccan and do not favor any side more than the other. both are part of life and death. one isn't better than the other since all are part of Mother Nature.

I am not suggesting that Wiccan's are or have a "dark" side, merely pointing out that those ignorant and confined to their own little belief systems often see any belief other then their own as a possible threat/fear and therefore attach a "dark" label

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Return to Brain Formation