Intuition

Topics that make you think. Expand the reaches of your mind. Explore philosophy, religion, psychic phenomena, and all manner of enlightenment here.

Intuition

Postby van » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 am

Kia ora

I would like to expand on Yogi's post "Intuition Building", but am not quite sure how to go about it
Well I do, but am not sure how well it will be received
My idea is to post each of the 6 ways and put it in a religious context primarily based on the Bible as this appears the best known point of reference when it comes to how many frame their views/base their judgements? of life
It probably applies to all religions but given the impact (literally on many occassions) of those who believe in it (the Bible) I think it would be a good starting point

What say you?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:01 am

My initial thought is that intuition is non-sectarian. The idea behind developing intuition is to be open ended and free from any conventions when thinking. My second thought is that the world is only 30% Bible thumping at the most. Do you suppose the other religious beliefs are not suited for intuitive thinking? And my most recent thought is that I'd be very much interested in your ideas regarding how to expand the topic, regardless of how you go about it.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby van » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:12 pm

Kia ora Dennis

Thanks for that
I am so used to debate that I tend to frame most of my thoughts into a "for" and "against" format
In this particular case, while I mentioned the Bible, it is my perception of how people interpret the belief structure and their acceptance of it, is more based on emotion rather then intuition

Not well put, but I hope you get my drift

I will re-examine the link and see if I can find another way of making a post, but any thoughts or suggestions are welcome from all

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Update

I knew there was something that set my thoughts toward couching it in a religious context
The 6th "way" the one you quoted stresses the need to ask and consider the import of "Questioning"
Probably nowhere than in the field of religion is so much taken for granted, and questions brushed aside rather then examined

I have no desire to enter into heated debate, for that is counter-productive, nor do I have any desire to shake anyones belief (that I prefer to leave to such a time as when someone tries to shove their belief down my throat)
As such I welcome any administative intervention if "topic drift" occurs or things become heated

If anyone makes a post about their religious belief that I find "counter-intuiative" I invariably make a reply. Some take umbrage at that, yet I fail to see that my comment necessarily deserves that
If it shakes their faith, and they don't like that, the best thing is to either delete the post or refrain from replying
Anything that we have faith in, be it sectarian or religious, is apt to be questioned

This forum has been renamed "Brain Formation" and thus to some extent has removed the religious emphathis that "spirituality" may have inferred

The other 5 "ways" deal primarily with personal attitudes and beliefs, things often associated with a spiritual belief possibly inculcated in the early formative yrs of one's life and they often are carried thru into adulthood

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Kia ora

More thoughts

While the article lists 6 "ways" is it necessay to deal with them in the order as "presented"?
From my perspective, the better way to start would be with number 6, as it lays a foundation to deal with the other 5
Thoughts?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:27 pm

being an airhead, i took the liberty to import said article:

The primary force is intuition. In that deep force, the last fact behind which analysis cannot go, all things find their origin – Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Practical Intuition

Your intuition is a shortcut to productivity, insight, knowledge, innovation, and decision-making. So how do you harness your intuition?

You Have The Ability To Solve Problems Instantly

Have you ever looked at a problem and known the root cause and the solution – instantly – without research? You’ve been taught to distrust that inner voice, right? So you test your intuition with empirical trial and your intuition is usually right, isn’t it?

You have the ability to solve problems instantly if you trust yourself. We all do. So how do we harness the power of our inner creator – the voice that cuts through all the bullshit and tells us the truth?

Six Ways to Strengthen Your Intuition:

1. Use your natural empathy – Imagine yourself in someone else’s shoes. Better yet go experience what they’re experiencing. If you are working a helpdesk and someone calls from the factory floor complaining about the speed of the printer, don’t sit at your monitor looking at graphs and metrics. Get off your ass and go down to floor and see what’s going on. Go feel their pain! Get your whole self involved it will strengthen your intuition. Great battlefield generals know this. Get out of your bunker and ride up to the front line and see it, feel it, and act on it. Experience what others are experiencing.

2. Allow yourself to feel your fear and flow past it – You don’t like fear do you? I don’t either. But most of us will have to live with it and find a way to make it our friend instead of our enemy. Unless you are superman and have transcended fear, you’ll have to find a way to harness it for good intent. Fear blocks intuition and is strengthened when we resist it. Allow yourself to feel your fear. Don’t resist any part of it. Don’t bury it. Focus directly upon it and ride it through to the end. You will come out the other side stronger with more clarity. Allowing yourself to feel your fear strengthens your intuition because it teaches you to listen to you inner world and accept it for what it is instead of fighting it.

3. Connect with others on an emotional level – When you engage with another person, face to face, on the phone, or online, try to read their emotions. Name their emotions. Does the person sound angry, happy, hopeful, joyous, depressed, or sad? The more you connect with others emotions, the deeper your understanding of social situations and the better your intuition will function. Intuitive hunches and abstract ideas come from the same place inside you that form your emotions, so the better you are able to read and identify emotions in others the better you will be able to create and communicate via intuition. Identifying and naming emotions within yourself and others is a powerful exercise.

4. Shut down internal judgments – When you find yourself judging someone or something – including yourself – that isn’t intuition, its negative energy that blocks your intuition. When you hear the critic in your mind saying, “he’s stupid”, “she’s ugly”, “I’m fat”, or “I’m gonna lose.” Stop and think – Why did I say that? What part of me is out of alignment? When you hear your inner judge, shut him down – not by burying him, that won’t work, he’ll surface somewhere else - but by forcing a positive question into your consciousness. When I catch myself thinking, “I’ll never get this done.” I consciously change the thought to, “How can I this done?” If I am patient and I listen to my inner voice, it will tell me how I can get it done. When my inner judge says, “it’ll never work”, I ask myself “what part of this idea will work?” or “what is a better idea?” Once you start asking positive questions your sub-conscious mind will start handing over solutions in the form of intuition.

5. Find Solitude – The best way is meditation. Find at least thirty minutes a day to spend alone with your thoughts. Leo at Zen Habits has some great tips for finding time for solitude. Take time to sit alone with your thoughts, feelings, and visualizations. I’ve spent most of my life nearly unaware of all the stuff going on inside me. By taking the time to listen to your inner world, you’ll find out what an amazing magical being you really are. Learning to listen to yourself in solitude will train you to listen to your inner voice when you aren’t alone and will lead to catching powerful intuitive ideas right when you need them.

6. Ask questions – lots of them – This is what I call intuitive bodybuilding. Questioning is the best way to create stronger intuitions. The most powerful creative intuitions will come to you after long question and answer sessions. Get together with a group of curious people and discuss complex issues – philosophical, scientific, sociological, medical, or literary topics. The most power comes not from the answers but from the questions, bringing you down paths you hadn’t considered, spurring further questions and more answers. There is no better way to exercise your intuition than lively question and answer sessions.

Some say intuition isn’t scientific and isn’t reasonable. They are right and wrong. The creative intuitive idea isn’t scientific unless you can prove it. However, all science starts with hypothesis. And a hypothesis comes from where? Good ones, creative ones, original ones, come from your intuition – a mental flash – the Eureka.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:37 pm

the way i think, the numbering must be random here, for one ought to start with #6, yet have, say #2 already in place. putting #1 first maybe noble, but how can you be empathic towards the unknown? the known is only reached by #6. etc.

the question about religion... i don't actually see where the connection is between intuition and religion? the way i was taught religion was to put aside ALL your intuition and strictly follow the path already laid out for me; no deviations! no questions! shut yourself down.

meanwhile, i was also taught that the jewish faith demanded questioning and discussion and was seen as a sign that jesus as a child already showed a keen intellect by all his dogging the rabbis for answers.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby ohlia » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:52 am

To me, intuition is the subconscious guiding the innocent mind. By cleansing our minds through meditation, relaxation and exercise we are able to 'listen' to our 'guiding' thoughts. Having an open mind and receiving and accepting our thoughts to me is what intuition is all about. When the mind is relaxed and free from stress, anger and hate we see things more clearly and are more rational in our thinking.

I don't necessarily see religion playing a part in this unless one is using prayers as a heightened source of meditation.

Off course this is just my opinion.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Kia ora Lia

Having an open mind and receiving and accepting our thoughts to me is what intuition is all about. When the mind is relaxed and free from stress, anger and hate we see things more clearly and are more rational in our thinking.

Quite right, yet I fear that many have so much on their mind, they have little time to relax
The current state of affairs is such that there is so much angst out there, that people have lost the ability to think clearly, a bit like a flock of sheep

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby emanresu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:19 am

Agreed, Bill, and I don't think it's ever been any other way. From what I read of history, truly intuitive people have always been in the minority.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby van » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:42 pm

Kia ora

Your intuition is a shortcut to productivity, insight, knowledge, innovation, and decision-making.

Have many of us lost our intuiton?
Have we become too comfortable and set in our ways to the extent that we are to scared to question?
What do you feel if someone questions that which you hold true?
I have been intriqued by Haysi's post about lies
Likewise the statement of eman

From what I read of history, truly intuitive people have always been in the minority.

Invariably those who exercise their intuition via constant questioning tend to be shunned or ostracised, often falling by the wayside or even eliminated
Think of the great minds that questioned the status quo and disappeared, only to be remembered for their genius by later generations and vindicated for the thoughts they expressed
How much more progress we could have made, had they been allowed to expound on their views

How many throw in the towel due to constant pressure, be it physical or emotional, ie the loss of "friends"?
Working on strengthening your intuiton is seen by so many as "non-conformist", "eccentric" and various other labels primarily used in an attempt to stop people rocking the boat

When boating, life jackets are an essential safety feature to remain afloat and prevent one from drowning
It is essential however that the lifejacket one wears is suited to the individual for a childs jacket will not support an adult and a child will slip out of an adult one

Do those floating on the sea of life have an uncomfortable feeling that their lifejacket (beliefs) will be inadequate to the task?
Is it perhaps their fear of water (society) that upsets them when the boat is rocked or encounters turbulent water?

The boat and their lifejackets are the only substantial things to which they can cling to and possible shipwreck, too frightening to contemplate, fills them with fear of an element that allows one to set a new course and navigate to new lands (thoughts)

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Those who are seriously interested in answers never give up. Listening to ones conscience or thoughts always provide great insights of the knowledge that's within. Many people tend to shun from doing so because they are more engrossed in the chaos and commotion surrounding them, thus, causing them to lose focus and not pay attention to what their mind is trying to tell them. Also, competitive lifestyle is partially to blame for this. But, by listening and following ones instincts, one can open their subconscious mind and discover their answers were waiting to be released.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Brain Formation