Regarding Chat

Look here from time to time for messages regarding Brainformation updates and general announcements.

Should a chat forum be created?

Yes, do it
57%
No, don't want it
43%
Not sure, see my comments below
No votes

Total votes : 14

Regarding Chat

Postby forumadmin » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:52 am

After due consideration of the request for a chat forum, I offer the following for your consideration. I'm looking for votes and candid responses from all interested parties, but this proposal is in no way an indication that a decision has been made to implement such a forum. For now I'm just looking for inputs and ideas.

THE PROPOSAL: To create a forum for the explicit purpose of chat among registered members of Brainformation.

The chat forum would be used to communicate between members in an unstructured and free form style. Topics may be started by any member, and will have a life time of no more than 2 days after the last post. All the rules codified in Brainformation's Code of Conduct will be in effect, and the chat forum will be fully monitored by the site administrators.

Access to the chat forum will be limited in the following manner. The forum will be invisible to all but members of a yet to be created User Group. The User Group will be open enrollment, meaning anyone may apply for a subscription. The group's moderator - probably me - will decide who is accepted or rejected for membership in the group.

Entry into the group might have restrictions. A qualification for being accepted into the chat forum, for example, might be that only members in good standing will have access. Perhaps a certain rank or time of membership would be necessary. The idea here would be to prevent people from registering with Brainformation for the sole purpose of chatting. We are still a discussion forum first and foremost.

The compromise is that anything in the public forums that takes on a chat appearance will be deleted without warning or explanation. Since a chat forum will be provided for such purposes, there is no need to pollute the open forums with such drivel. This concept should work the same as does Flame Throwers and Adult Content to keep the extreme stuff in a place of its own, and thereby keep the discussion forums on a level of general interest.

The implication of all the above is that our forums will become more rigid and structured than is current. A small amount of topic drift plus one-on-one commenting is always acceptable, but our members will be expected to stay relevant and on topic to a more rigid degree than is currently the policy. Posts that are deemed not appropriate will be moved or deleted without notice.

Please give the above some thought, and register your vote. Any comments, questions, criticism, or advice is welcome. After this topic has run its course, our management staff will review the content and announce a decision.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby Damsel » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:39 pm

I think this would be a good idea, obviously.
Damsel

Postby legend » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:13 pm

i think its a good idea.
when i get in good standing i would like to apply :(
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:32 pm

i don't really care either way...
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby legend » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:34 pm

oops yoda i forgot to vote.
im a gimp :(
We know that I'm a drunk. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment.
legend
Holier Than Thou

Return to Brainformation News