Personal Journal Web Site

Look here from time to time for messages regarding Brainformation updates and general announcements.

Personal Journal Web Site

Postby forumadmin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:57 am

I am thinking of removing all the personal journals from this board and creating an entirely new board for journals only. In my mind a discussion forum and personal journals are two separate items and need to have space of their own. The two boards would be all part of Brainformtion, but journals would have a URL of it's own in a subdomain. That means you have to click on a link to get there, and click on another link to get back here. Or, obviously, create two bookmarks and save them in your favorites.

Please give me your thoughts on this idea.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby Silke » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:46 am

seems to me like it would only make it more complicated... I don't really see the reason to do it.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:03 am

Silke - The advantage is that separating the journals from the rest of the forums here would make it easier to navigate this site. It would be less congested and actually leave more room to expand into new topics in the future.

Adding one link to the process of viewing journals is an extra step indeed. However, making separate bookmarks for each board would simplify the switching back and forth.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Silke » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:00 pm

the site is easy to navigate, I don't think that removing them would make it easier. However, space is a argument I understand.

do whatever you feel is best, all though I think it is fine as it is.

if you do it... could you make sure it opended in a new tab instead of a new page? so much easier if the browser let you use tabs...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Re: Personal Journal Web Site

Postby ohlia » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:18 pm

forumadmin wrote:I am thinking of removing all the personal journals from this board and creating an entirely new board for journals only. In my mind a discussion forum and personal journals are two separate items and need to have space of their own. The two boards would be all part of Brainformtion, but journals would have a URL of it's own in a subdomain. That means you have to click on a link to get there, and click on another link to get back here. Or, obviously, create two bookmarks and save them in your favorites.

Please give me your thoughts on this idea.

I see your point; it makes much sense to me. It would also be easier to locate instead of having to trod through to get to journals.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:57 am

makes little difference to me as i don't have one and often don't read them anyway.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:42 pm

I think it's a reasonable idea. I read people's journal entries every once in a while, but not very often. Making it a subdomain would actually probably make me read them more often, if that makes sense.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Flawless » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm all for it. But what will be the advantage of it?
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:25 pm

The big advantage will be a streamlined layout for the discussion forums. The journals are not very active these days and take up a lot of space. I've received some comments in the past that we are too cluttered with too many topics. I don't necessarily agree with all that, but it would clean up the looks if there were fewer forums.

With the journals relocated, our index page would have more room for new forums for people with special interests. At the moment we are at the limits of what is comfortable to view on one page.

Another advantage would be that the journals would be essentially on a site of their own. The emphasis on that site would be on the needs of journalists and go more in the direction of blogs.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Flawless » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Would we be able to do our own layouts and what not, like Xanga or something?

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:04 pm

The proposal I'm making now is to simply move the journals to a forum based web site of it's own. It will use the same software we have here. If it proves to be popular, upgrades in features would certainly be considered.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Flawless » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:34 pm

That would be good. Other than that I do find it kind of pointless but I understand the reasoning I just don't agree with it really.

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:38 pm

I'm with Silke and Flawless on this one. I'm not sure if it would really matter.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby salamandrina » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:14 pm

sounds good
however I kind of wanted such a journal on here and didn't really know how you make that (even thought i think tis good enough to message you and then you create it and tell me what to do to be able use it.
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby Yogi » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:23 pm

Sandra - send me a request in a PM if you would like journal space in our forums.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby salamandrina » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:46 pm

any languagerestrictions? or can anyone write in anotehr langauge than english?
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby Yogi » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:54 pm

I would prefer that your journal entries be in English so that the administrators can monitor the content. However, we have no official policy regarding the language you can use in your journal.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:43 pm

what about those some of us can follow?

:evildance:
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby salamandrina » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:57 am

now this is a hard one..i did send you a PM yogi asking for one and now what should I do? I love to write in the three languages:english to exercise and maybe sometimes share things,however if it is my journal I love also to write in my own language.I had in the past many people critisizing my english and even doubting about my german...(lol)So if i really have something complicated to say I'm sure i say it clearer in german.
As for french,I like to use it also from time to time as its my everyday language together with german since Saskia is here(with her I speak german) To be honest I don't think there is something to monitor...it will be a journal about ME not something I will go on and on about some ongoing problem I could have with someone who maybe happen to be online.Its just something not fair:If I speak about someone in public it can hurt them and personally I find privat entries only privat if they are for myself only,otherwise its for a selected group and speaking about a third person is not what I want to do in MY journal.So what is to watch if I speak about my new work,paperwork I have to fill in becausei ts only a parttimejob ect??? There is nothing to watch closely about it? As for sharing the entries: There are a few people that speak actually different languages which means even if I do not talk in english,some will enjoy exercising their german ect.(maybe) So what to do Yogi english only or not?
Maybe make a new guideline(sentence) regarding this in the 'rules' ?
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby Yogi » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:28 am

Let there be no doubt that the Internet, and particularly Brainformation's place in it, is a public site. As such we have certain responsibilities regarding the content herein. Some of those responsibilities are spelled out in the Code of Conduct, and some are implied in the spirit of the code. The administration of this site is charged with seeing that those responsiblities are met and thus all content on this site is monitored for compliance with our Code of Conduct and for legal issues.

It is a common misconception that Private Messages, Personal Journals, and even e-mail are all somehow the exclusive posession of the authors. The Internet, being a public network as it is, allows any person with the right skills to intercept communications conducted over this public media. While we take precautions to preserve the security of our site, it is as vulnerable as is any other data placed in the public domain.

Furthermore, Brainformation in particular is offered as an entertainment media. The owners of this site therefore own what is published using this service. The dignity and privacy of all our participating members is the highest priority, but all content herein is subject to review and control.

Given all the above, a lot of effort has gone into making Brainformation a comfortable, secure, and pleasant experience for all our members. We will continue to do so without reservation. The role of the moderators and administrators is best executed in the English language, but we do recognize that we are in fact a global community. At the moment we have no policy regarding the language used by our members, but that may change in the future. So, if you want to write in a language other than English, it is perfectly permissible for the moment. But, it may not remain that way forever.

One last point to be made is that any journal can be made invisible and private. There are several types of permission that can be attached which restrict access and control who reads and/or writes to journal entries. In the case of personal journals, the owner can request which restrictions are to be set. Regardless of what permissions are in place, administrators have complete and total access to all posts made on this site.

And, I did resond to your request Sandrini. Perhaps you did not receive my Pesonal Message with instructions. I'll resend it to you shortly.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Next

Return to Brainformation News