No Holds Barred Forum

Look here from time to time for messages regarding Brainformation updates and general announcements.

No Holds Barred Forum

Postby forumadmin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:54 am

We have a little bit of everything here, and whatever else we might need generally comes up in the form of a suggestion from our members. The typical approach is for somebody to suggest an addtion to our forums, and then we take comments, questions, and criticisms of the idea. Here is a thought that crossed my mind recently.

Is there any merit in creating a "no holds barred" forum? Flame Throwers is designed to let our members vent, and The Confessional will let us do it anonymously. However, the general code of conduct still applies therein, but to a lesser degree of enforcement. Should there be a forum wherein one might post anything about anybody without reservation? Anything illegal or threatening would be banned for obvious reasons, but all else would be allowed virtually uncensored. Posting priviliges to this sort of forum would be available only to those people joining a yet to be created usergroup designed for the purpose. Thus, only people interested in a free for all would be able to make posts.

Good idea? Bad idea? Neither?
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby meadow » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:01 am

YES!!!!!!! i vote that any language should be appropriate. that means all the FUCK and SHIT you want to verbalize. i think anything short of serious death threats should be allowed. i think like The Confessional comments should be disallowed. unless the poster themselves wish to have comments.

there has been many a time i've let loose with vitriol and been admonished for it. moving those to a forum like that would be heaven.

i'm all for no censorship of any kind. and since i feel some of the goody-goody "can't we all just get along" tattletales here kill the mood of this site by ending the fun...this could be perfect.

i'm tired of people walking on eggshells for certain members. i say..let the fur fly! let's see what people REALLY think and what happens.

i'm all for it. and that includes bitches calling me out and having their say about me as well. i ain't got a problem with that, never really have. just keep my dead momma out of it and we're solid.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:10 am

I'm against it. Not only would it lower the debate, there's no way to keep it from spilling over into all other forums. Or do you think that people who've been heaping hate on each other in one forum will play nicely together in all others?
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:14 am

i would. my problem is that i'm a loud, mouthy bitch and i like to feel like i get to have my say. if i had a place to do it and keep it there? that's where it would damn well stay.

just think of all the snotty things you could say...to...uh...say...about....penguins. or me! yeah, me! i know you hate me, Marv! quit trying to deny it!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:17 am

Hmmm...

Maybe you could make the Forum available to only meadow, then? :tongue: :tongue:
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:23 am

i think its a good idea.. people tend to follow rules here (don't they?) so if they want to have a ding dong then a place to do it would be the place you suggested. As long as people understand the reasons as to why its there then i can't see there being a problem (and it'll be like secretly listening to your neighbours have a fight - exciting!) :biggrin:

maybe give it some sort of trial run?
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:31 am

i would love that, Marv. you dirtbag. you cheapskate. you loser! jerk!

you...you...you...

Republican!

there. ain't you mad, yet???

:hysterical:
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 pm

i have no idea of the merit of such forum, but it would be an interesting experiment.

i would not be joining though.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:17 pm

why not?
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:46 pm

was that "why not?" for me or yogi?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:23 am

I´m against it because I agree with marv. It would be too difficult not to let it spill over into the other fourums, some way or another. As an example let´s say that Saintie starts harrassing Marv down there. The first posts marv would shrug off, not even caring, but some time he would start resenting saintie and that would effect their posts everywhere else. I think such shitthrowing is better left to PMs, if they need be uttered.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Re: No Holds Barred Forum

Postby haysi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:51 am

forumadmin wrote:We have a little bit of everything here, and whatever else we might need generally comes up in the form of a suggestion from our members. The typical approach is for somebody to suggest an addtion to our forums, and then we take comments, questions, and criticisms of the idea. Here is a thought that crossed my mind recently.

Is there any merit in creating a "no holds barred" forum? Flame Throwers is designed to let our members vent, and The Confessional will let us do it anonymously. However, the general code of conduct still applies therein, but to a lesser degree of enforcement. Should there be a forum wherein one might post anything about anybody without reservation? Anything illegal or threatening would be banned for obvious reasons, but all else would be allowed virtually uncensored. Posting priviliges to this sort of forum would be available only to those people joining a yet to be created usergroup designed for the purpose. Thus, only people interested in a free for all would be able to make posts.

Good idea? Bad idea? Neither?

Anything about anyone? How are you going to differentiate between lies and the truth?? Anyone could post lies, disparaging remarks, and abuse and that would be ok??

Not a good idea. :biggrin:
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby spithray » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:00 am

I think it's a bad idea. I'm sure some people would be quite happy having pointless exchanges of offensive remarks (some of which I'm confident would be hilarious to read) but I do not wish to get drawn into that kind of behaviour, therefore I do not wish there to be a public forum in which people can say whatever they want about me in a manner which I would be unwilling to defend. If someone PMs me being offensive then fine, I can choose whether to reply or ignore.
Rose: If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the north?
Doctor: Lots of planets have a north.
spithray
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:51 am

i don't like PMs because they can become harassing very quickly. besides, anything i got to say to any of you...i'm going to come right out and say it out in the open so there is no bullshit, no mistaking and no "he said, she said" crap.

i'm all for it because it's not about what's true or not. it's about telling it how you see it. you don't have to like it. you can then, in turn, feel free to express yourself.

it wouldn't spill over because if the rules are set in place and understood then it would remain in the forum designated. i mean, everyone knows how to read and comprehend, correct?

i think that people are afraid of people seeing how they really feel about them and that everyone else could see it as well. people care far too much what everyone else thinks....all while conducting their stupidity in useless PMs. i'm all about being in your face.

and i'm all about reading shit about me. how entertaining and hilarious! i can't wait.
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 am

For meadow's sake...

Yogi, could you make it a "locked" forum? Everybody locked out of it unless they request that you unlock it for them.

I'd be able to accept being locked permanently out of a forum that i see no use for.

You could set some rules on it:
No "Ha, ha, you should see what (whoever) said about you" posted anywhere else on Brainformation.
One time only in and back out of the forum.

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby emanresu » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:08 am

I think most social sites (including this one) are flexible enough to let someone show, in the most glaring terms, just exactly how and what they feel for someone else whether it be love, hate or something in between without breaking site rules. A no-holds-barred forum, in my opinion, might end up seeding the entire site with negative undertones to the extent that even those who don't normally participate in flaming others would feel they have to participate just on a self-defense level. I think it would serve as a springboard from which some types (and they do exist) would constantly try to manipulate the emotions of the entire membership. I'm not saying they're here now, but with such a forum, they would soon appear.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Yogi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:54 am

mdkilmer wrote:For meadow's sake...

Yogi, could you make it a "locked" forum? Everybody locked out of it unless they request that you unlock it for them.

I'd be able to accept being locked permanently out of a forum that i see no use for.

You could set some rules on it:
No "Ha, ha, you should see what (whoever) said about you" posted anywhere else on Brainformation.
One time only in and back out of the forum.

The concept of this new forum, as stated in the original post, is to make it limited access. Access - read that to mean posting privilege's - would be allowed only to members of a usergroup that would be created for this purpose. Interested parties would sign up for membership which in turn would be controlled by the group's moderator, me.

Further restrictions can be placed on the forum which would make it hidden from public view so that only registered members of Brainformation would be able see it. Or, perhaps only members of the group would be able to see it. Several permission configurations are possible and will be determined if the forum becomes a reality.

I might further add to the discussion that a "free for all" forum does not come without a price to pay. Enforcement of our Code of Conduct in the regular forums would become more strict. Inappropriate language and behaviors would be tolerate much less than they are currently, which might have the down side of making the forums less casual.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby meadow » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:34 pm

i'm all for it, still. i'm all about bitching it out for all to see, some to see or just me to see. i'm just sick and tired of seeing certain people on this site that i know are total fucking dirtbags doing things i find disgusting. and not being able to just express that and letting it be known that while they think they are getting away with it, they aren't. i don't ever forgive and i rarely ever forget.

couldn't inappropriate tangents get transfered over to the forum as well. sometimes things get off on a tangent where two people are bitching one another out and then you could just move it to a more appropriate place.

it could be like Fight Club. :biggrin:
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:05 pm

I might further add to the discussion that a "free for all" forum does not come without a price to pay. Enforcement of our Code of Conduct in the regular forums would become more strict. Inappropriate language and behaviors would be tolerate much less than they are currently, which might have the down side of making the forums less casual.

where's the downside?

:biggrin:

still, if it's a sideshow, the only allowed discussing can happen between the people who are participating, i.e marv could not call me a fat ol' broad since i'm not in there to call him a republican.

yes?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:39 am

I'm stil against it, because no matter how much stricter code of conduct becomes on the other fourums the undertones would stil be there and it will hamper further discussions, even if no one is allowed to swear to eachother.

Telling things to eachothers faces medow, we all ready do, or at least I do. I don't need to be flaming anyone to tell them what I feel about their opinions or attitudes. I don't need to curse people to their face to tell them I dissagree, and I don't see why it should be recuired to do so.

and if the forum ever becomes a reality, I think it should be that groups members only who is allowed to both post and read.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Brainformation News