Censorship

Look here from time to time for messages regarding Brainformation updates and general announcements.

Censorship

Postby forumadmin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:08 pm

Our site has a built in word filter that we have never used to a serious degree. The reason for that is that our members have always been able to express themselves and make their points with a minimum of foul sounding words. This made reading and contributing responses to forum topics a pleasant experience because for the most part we are like minded when it comes to swearing and cussing. There is a time and place for that, but it should not be a matter of routine.

The use of fuck and it's derivitives has picked up lately. Being liberal minded I took no stand one way or the other regarding it's frequent use. I recognize that it is so common to use that word these days that many people think nothing of it. Besides, who am I to censor free speech?

The truth is that people new to our forums are no longer participating, and a few of our established members are leaving, due to the nature of the language starting to permeate our forums. If that trend continues, the viability of Brainformation obviously will be in jeopardy. Thus, it is time for all of us to take some proactive steps to maintain the quality of our posts. To that end, please confine any language that might be inappropriate for an eleven year old to read, or offensive to my 87 year old mom to read, to your private journal or to the Flame Throwers forum. By doing so the casual reader will be better able to select what reading material is best suited for their eyes. I realize that my request might be restrictive and inhibiting to some of us, and for that I apologize in advance.

Further comments on this idea are solicited and most welcome.

EDIT : The list of unrestricted language forums should include the "Adult Content" forum as well as "Flame Throwers" and private journals.
Last edited by forumadmin on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:22 pm

yogi, it's your sandbox and whatever you decide is what we'll go with. i'm not big on the swearing thing having worked in the manufacturing section forever. i got used every second word being an obscenity of some kind and can hold my own in that environment quite well.

but i prefer not to, it's get real stale real quickly!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:12 pm

i seriously think that anyone who has a problem with swearing should definitely get the heck over themselves and right now.

the usage of the word "fuck" and all it's beautiful, glorious, neverending connatations is the least of the worries on this Forum in my opinion.

but what do i know. i'm all about people saying what they need to say, however it needs to be said...cussin' and all. i'm about people who are adults ACTING like adults and not trying to pull schoolyard bully tactics on others. what's next pulling ponytails during recess? honestly, it's totally F***ING lame and stupid. yep, STUPID. unnecessary, idiotic, controlling and censoring come to mind as well.

and don't try that "it's because they don't have a proper vocabulary to fall back upon so they just curse" cause that crap don't fly with me. i used to read the dictionary for fun growing up. i like to say Fuck and i don't care who knows it, who's around and how that is supposed to make them feel.

what's next....the word Stupid? Shut Up? Butt? Hell? Damn? if your biggest complaint on this forum is the usage of the word Fuck....you've really got to stop, count your blessings and get a damn life. people are being killed in genocides, wars and abusive marriages every day. me saying the dreaded "F word" isn't contributing to that. but people expending energy on fighting over cussin' and swearin'???

that's just expending energy that could be channeled more productively. like say...into making sandwiches for the homeless, knitting kitty hats and booties and sending snail mail to soldiers in wars across the globe.

re-focus your lives, people. the F word isn't going to make your world stop spinning any time soon. find a better, more worthwhile hobby.

for the record i have massively cleaned up my usage of the F word since biddies get their knickers in a twist. in some instances though...the fur and the F word just need to fly. period. maybe you should all try it sometime? i mean, you don't go to Hell for saying a cuss word. really, you don't. in fact, i'm going to let you all in on something....

Hell doesn't even exist! yay! so see....swearing is the least of your mighty and noble worries. spend that energy writing your Representatives, Congresspeople, President, Queen, King, Prime Minister, Tribal Chief or whatever title you give the important peeps and tell them.

i cannot believe there are actually big ol' babies who are going to stop coming to a site over the F word. seriously? the F word? are you fricking fracking funguling kidding me?!?!?!!?!? i give it a 10 on the lame-o-meter scale of stupidity. really.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby angel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:41 am

scary as it sounds, i fully agree with meadow.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby Silke » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:48 am

I think it is good idea. After all, who knows what ages are reading everything here? If people is leaving that is sad, and if something could be done to keep them here I´d say go for it. Besides, it is about respecting eachother and eachothers bounderies as well. Free speach and all, I think respect is more important, and respect is something you earn by giving it.

I don´t want words all of a sudden popping up like **** though. that is silly and takes away alot of points, plus it hinders those "each thing to it´s time" thing.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Mads » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:22 am

I think people are leaving/not posting for other reasons, which are more serious than a few swear words. I know at least six people who refuse to even join this site, and others, because of the bullying and gossiping that is carried out by certain people. (They're on most sites, albeit under different usernames.)

I don't tend to swear much online, but sometimes I can see why others want to. The odd expletive can portray emotions so well! :lol: Personally, I don't care to see every other word as a **** either.
When helping the wicked, twisted and evil, expect no gratitude and be thankful if you escape with your life.
Mads
Trapped Under Ice

Postby bea » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:08 am

Who are these 'people' who are leaving? Are they more important to the site than the majority of people who post everyday?

And who are these who refuse to join the site cos of bullying and gossiping? I'm here mostly always and i see nothing of the sort going on. And even if it were to happen surely these people can stand up for themselves or refuse to get drawn in. One of the best things about this site imo is that of course certain people don't love other people but this tends to be kept to short bursts of obcenity and arguments and then on another thread you'll find the same people playing happily.

I'll abide by your new rule Yogi, but i don't like it. Its text for cripes sake and who on earth can say that they've never sworn.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:43 am

During the time this topic is open to discussion, let my request stand as a suggestion as opposed to a rule. A final decision will be made after everybody has had a chance to contribute their thoughts.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby meadow » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:00 am

i'm glad to know at least i'm not alone in this one!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:42 am

Well, constant use of the f-word just shows a lack of class.

As a penguin, and therefore the epitome of class, I try to avoid it. That way, if I have to use it, it means something.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:24 am

AHAHAAHAAAAAAA!!!! :hysterical:

wow, i need to go and laugh that one off big time. oh, that's so funny.
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:44 am

:thud:

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby bermbits » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 pm

I think I saw a pig fly by and there are icicles forming in hell, but I have to agree in part with Bedford: "I try to avoid it. That way, if I have to use it, it means something."

(For a look at swearing: http://people.howstuffworks.com/swearing.htm )

In my line of work, if a student swears, I have to say something. They need to know (or learn) that in the "real world" there really is a time and place (there really is). In some venues, if a clerk swears around a customer, that clerk could be an ex-clerk very quickly. As long as people do have a sense of decorum and propriety regarding various contexts, swearing is okay. As I previously wrote elsewhere, when I was in uniform. I could and did swear with the best of 'em, but, that was then; this is now.

If people want to swear here, that's fine, BUT if we do have younger viewers, perhaps an advisory in the Subject line might be nice (as would be keeping the language in the Body). If there are no younger posters, whatever. Either way, I can live with whatever decision is made, but on a personal note, I would like to see swears maintain their meaning and integrity under more extreme circumstances.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:15 pm

perhaps, if i put it this way:

if you meet someone, you hardly extend your hand and say "hi! i'm mary, who the fuck are you?"

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby bea » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:17 pm

i've been known to say things like that. But only when i'm drunk. :biggrin:
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:20 pm

well yeah, i was thinking of a more ...formal occasion, in which case, i hope not!

:tongue:

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:21 pm

I think I saw a pig fly by and there are icicles forming in hell, but I have to agree in part with Bedford: "I try to avoid it. That way, if I have to use it, it means something."

I agree with that..!

and I agree with silk, and pilvikki

I also want to say it is not just swearing, but general negativity and nastiness that sometimes seems to permeate the site..
imo, of course.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby bea » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:27 pm

I also want to say it is not just swearing, but general negativity and nastiness that sometimes seems to permeate the site..

where?

this is without doubt the nicest and sunniest site on the tinternet
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby whiffey » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:00 pm

meadow wrote:

"the usage of the word "fuck" and all it's beautiful, glorious, neverending connatations is the least of the worries on this Forum in my opinion. "

Are you serious, are you actually serious ? Your loud-mouthed 'American' swearing is offensive, and you want people to see you as a sweetie ?

I got a reprimand for gainsaying you, but by God if anything ever needed standing up to, it is you and your pathetic "get over it" crap.
I am reading that it rains a lot in Scotland
whiffey
Bad Seed

Postby ohlia » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:00 pm

Writing is an extension of ones personality, and the manner in which we write says a lot about who we are.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Brainformation News