Censorship

Look here from time to time for messages regarding Brainformation updates and general announcements.

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:26 pm

and mine sez that i'm a flat-footed penguin?

:tongue:
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Writing is an extension of ones personality, and the manner in which we write says a lot about who we are.

agreed

as does speaking... :D

[/quote]
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:09 pm

whiffey: yep i'm serious. i don't think i'm a sweetie and don't want anyone on this site to think i am. i'm not fake and i don't pretend to be something i'm not. i like swearing. who gives a fuck? i was taught proper manners and i use them quite frequently. i know how to write a proper thank you note and how to write a formal letter without having to look it up. i don't need anyone telling me how to behave. here or anywhere else in life or on the internet. you got told because you weren't right. take your lumps like everyone else on this site and quit your bitching.

swearing is a fine art. most cannot master it much like oil painting, sculpture or ballet. you can practice it, you can dabble in it, it can be a hobby. but for some it's a passion in life and a true art and form of mastery. not everyone needs to understand or appreciate that. but they ought to respect that sometimes someone needs to be called the bitch they are being like. or someone needs to be told to fuck off. i see an awful lot of judging over something so totally trivial. just because i say fuck doesn't mean i'm a bad person. i'm not necessarily "nice" but i know to spend my time caring about the things in life that matter and are necessary. worrying about how many people are saying fuck isn't one of them.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:45 pm

whiffey wrote:Are you serious, are you actually serious ? Your loud-mouthed 'American' swearing is offensive, and you want people to see you as a sweetie ?

Trust me, the rest of us gave up that view of her a LONG LONG time ago. :teach:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:02 am

Swearing as an artform I can relate to; but a casual "fuck" or "damn" or "go to hell" is really not getting the artform there. The art of swearing is swearing without using those words more than a few times, or if you must, use them in a larger context where those words won´t be the main thing. If you succseed in swearing as an artform, cencoring some words won´t really matter.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:13 am

we could always go to the method of having the site display certain words as %#$#^*& and everyone can read it as it suits them?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:21 am

and the name calling and negativity?
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby emanresu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:57 am

PG 13 rating, as the main page advertises as a beginning range allows for the single use of a sexually oriented word in a nonsexual context. More than one, and the rating becomes more restricted towards NC 17, which is advertised on the main page as the ending range and which I would assume is intended solely for the flamethrowing category and personal diaries. There doesn't seem to be many occasions when the word 'fuck' is used just once; it seems to feed on itself to the point where entire paragraphs glow with the term thereby weakening its intended punch when a simple and single 'fuck you' would do a far better job of conveying one's point. There are many times when there doesn't seem to be a better word to express one's frustration. Also, it's a good word to let someone else know that you wholeheartedly desire to hold their face against a grinding wheel for an hour or two. It gets the message across. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has its place and works very well when not subjected to overkill. My only thought concerns titles, which appear to everyone, even those who don't wish to see the word or to those who might just be passing through and basing assessments on a quick glance.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Re: Censorship

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:07 am

forumadmin wrote:
The use of fuck and it's derivitives has picked up lately. Being liberal minded I took no stand one way or the other regarding it's frequent use. I recognize that it is so common to use that word these days that many people think nothing of it. Besides, who am I to censor free speech?
suited for their eyes. I realize that my request might be restrictive and inhibiting to some of us, and for that I apologize in advance.

I must admit I've noticed the word f*ck being used more than ever lately and I don't like it, I'm for free speech and all that but why does typing in 'swear words' and 'horrid remarks' appeal to some people, I like this site the way it is, it's one of the best sites on the internet and that is what keeps me coming on here. If I notice alot of swearing in a post I just don't bother reading further, it's as easy as that. :biggrin:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:43 am

I too loose intrest in text with alot of swearing. I´m sorry to say to everyone who likes swearing that I don´t take the texts that seriously when it is overkill so to speak. Swearing should be allowed, but it shouldn´t be the norm, and if it becomes the norm... well... priviliges are taken away from children who abuse them...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am

Hehe, I have just found a brilliant site - called the Cuss Control Academy - http://www.cusscontrol.com/swearing.html - I am seriously amused now..... how to break free of your swearing habit ..... :biggrin:

Anyway, surely there are two issues here - one is the over-use of swear words ad nauseum (which I find really boring and simply end up not bothering to even read that particular post any further) and the other is the intolerance displayed when people express a different opinion - vitriol and name-calling do not make good bedfellows with discussion and debate.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:42 am

i can think of several people i'd love to send to the academy.

i have a g/f who used to swear a blue streak. then one day her tiny son repeated everything back to her and lo and behold! she was cured overnight!

:biggrin:

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:24 pm

vitriol and name-calling do not make good bedfellows with discussion and debate.

so true. I go to another site.... one that I am pretty sure that most here are not familiar with....
and there is always lively debate.. discussion.. and arguments, as well .

I have seen little or no cursing...and as for the vitriol? VERY RARELY.
I love going there and debating with people who have different opinions...

Here? No matter what I post it is attacked and I am called a variety of names...
or .. at least that was happening until this post went up...

It seems as if only one person here has a valid opinion... maybe two...
ignoring the situation is not going to fix it... that is a tactic the behavior therapists use where I work.
In five years.. the spitters still spit.... the aggressive ones still attack.. the masterbaters still do it, and the screamers still scream..
only.. they do it more...

I have never seen it work. On the other hand... If one of the spitters is about to let one fly, and I look at him and say NO..
against the rules by the way to use that word.. He will stop. Same goes for the other behaviors..
I am just saying.......

What happens to society when consequences vanish?
It is something I see every day and it just isn't pretty.

Yes we are adults here.. everyone should be acting like one... but?
Last edited by solana on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby haysi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:29 pm

ohlia wrote:Writing is an extension of ones personality, and the manner in which we write says a lot about who we are.

I totally agree.

I personally do not have a problem with people using swear words when they post however I would prefer that they used the sections that Fouradmin has suggested.

I sometimes let off steam too but tend not to use expletives on a general forum

Hx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Legion » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:50 pm

In the real world - I dislike 'so called' foul language - with a vengeance!

However - I dislike War, Poverty, Hunger, Crime, Corruption etc etc - a darn sight more & try to keep my predjudice - in perspective!

:pirate2: :dancer:
'There is no point running if you are on the wrong road'
Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
Legion
Frantic

Postby solana » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:53 pm

I do not see expecting folks to behave in a civilized manner as a form of prejudice...
Last edited by solana on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Flawless » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:10 pm

In my honest opinion, I think that there needs to be some censorship. Not in what is discussed but the way that it is discussed. If a topic has no need for cussing in it or if it's trying to be a civilized debate than there shouldn't be cussing in it. Now having places where cussing is allowed no matter what (Flamethrowers and Adult sections for example) is perfectly fine.

Bottom line is that it's not the fact that there are cusswords but the fact that using them constantly makes the person look stupid and makes the site look dumber as a whole. But that's just my 2 cents.
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby solana » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:34 pm

I agree.... and that was well put.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:31 pm

i'm not clear here. are we all not ADULTS? i'm sorry but i don't need anyone here on this forum ever dictating proper langauge behavior to me. "people in glass houses should not throw stones" is very apt in this sitaution.

as for "negativity and nastiness" all i can say to that is...what about thinly veiled snotty remarks directed as specific people without having the cojones to come out and say it. and direct it to that specific person?

sorry, i'm a grown ass woman with my own life. i've been a grown ass woman since at least 18. i don't want ANYONE telling me what to do. asking nicely is one thing but demand? telling? i don't appreciate being treated like i'm too stupid to somehow know better. i am not and i 100% RESENT being treated like one.

you don't like cussing? don't read it. period. i think we can definitely put an "adult content" tag on certain posts in other forums that might have a oh, so horrific "bad word" in them. including for flamethrowers [although by it's definition it seems quite blatant and obvious!] and the personal journals. i've never had an issue with that. we had that more towards the last few years of CS and it wasn't a big deal. i'm all for some kind of lame filter that would misspell words for those with delicate sensibilities.

i think everyone on this forum needs a very large dose of "grow the hell up and quit whining like a bunch of kids at recess". now, lest anyone think i leave myself out of that, nah! i can be quite immature about certain aspects of my life by choice and sometimes it's impossible to not regress to wanting to beat a girl up on the playground and shove her face in the damn sand! but... still maintain i am, in fact, a grown adult and don't need policing by anyone [with exception of forum admins. i feel that's obvious but i know that i'll have to point it out specifically or some will complain i'm better and higher than they are. *eyeroll*] especially anyone else on this website. period.

with all the actual IMPORTANT world issues out there to focus on something so trivial and truly insignificant poses a larger question for me. what is it we truly care about in our daily lives? cussing???!?!?! CUSSING?!!?! never mind war, starvation, abuse, rape, rampant crime, homelessness and the government's inability to get a damn clue. oh, no! people who are grown adults are choosing to CUSS! OMG! get the pitchforks, billy clubs and torches!

if my choice is to cuss, that's my choice. i ain't fucking little kids or animals so really who gives a shit in the end?!?! you have literally NOTHING better to do than rail against swearing and a judicious use of the popular F word?

i think it's a sad, sad portend of things to come to this forum. it's a damn shame. but, ultimately i have to say not surprising since i think it's human nature to find something different about someone and try to force them to conform and fall in line.

well, i won't do it. i hold that First Amendment as little too close to my heart to let a group of ADULTS on an internet forum to dictate my choice of words and ways to express myself.

next you'll decide that my art must be pleasing to YOUR eye.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:55 pm

it's amazing, meadow, you don't just miss a point, you don't even see it...

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

PreviousNext

Return to Brainformation News