Bring Back the Draft... or not.

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

Should the US bring back the draft?

Yes definitely!
13%
Maybe, but just for others - exempt me!
No votes
Absolutely not!
87%

Total votes : 15

Bring Back the Draft... or not.

Postby bermbits » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:24 pm

What do you think (and why)?

(I apologize if I didn't set this up correctly.)
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:43 pm

We've got the best military in the world; don't fix what isn't broke.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdkilmer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:27 pm

I realize that I'm going to be in the minority, but I feel that military service should be a mandatory requirement for citizenship.

Ever see the movie "Starship Troopers"? You couldn't become a full citizen until you had served your country. That makes a lot of sense-- how can you know enough to make informed decisions unless you know something about what you need to?

I personally don't think that I'd have made a good soldier-- I'm way too contrary and prone to think "outside the box". But everyone (including me) should be willing to defend our homes.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:49 am

...a standing army of people who want to be there fights a lot more effisiently than a roll-around army of people just doing their duty.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Avatar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:15 pm

The US military is the most powerful military force on earth. And it's all volunteer, I believe the military stands at about 5 million, so there really is no reason to reinstate the draft.

Postby Silke » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:11 am

...norways army is full of people who would like to be elsewhere... Sure we got our special forces of people who want to be there (and they'd be doing a great job if they were in the inviroment they were trained for) but overall it is slappy.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby lpg » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:47 am

Because I'm a peacenik I don't think anyone should be forced into military service. Perhaps mandatory service of some kind or another (heaven knows there's a enough stuff to be done here) but, not necessarily military service.
lpg
Hero Of The Day

Postby kg5uc » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:31 pm

I was in the Air Force during the Vietnam era and a bit afterwards, and I disagree with bringing back the draft. While a draft would swell the numbers of our military force, some of those would not want to be there, and others would not be suitable for service, wasting the time of those who train the recruits and those commands who would be forced to utilize them.

I believe that we have the best, most well trained military possible. The only reason we're stretched so thin is because of poor decisions and policies by the administration, who I believe would love to swell the ranks so we could invade more countries if they could get away with it. We need to be protecting <i>our</i> country, not "bringing Democracy" to every sundry country that catches our President's displeasure.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:58 pm

I agree with most, bringing back the draft would be foolish in the extreme. The last draft in Britain was called, National Service, between 1949 and 1960. It conscripted men into the military who just we're not fit to fight or who just didn't want to be there and didn't care to fight. This in my opinion would be a big mistake for Britain and America to adopt. There has been debates about it in Britain, but the general public would never accept it. The military should be an all volunteer force, so the men fighting to protect their country do it out of loyalty and honour, not because they're forced to be there.

America has a fantastic military. It's just a shame it's quagmired in Iraq.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby ohlia » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:45 pm

AJRC_CS wrote:The military should be an all volunteer
force, so the men fighting to protect their country do it out
of loyalty and honour, not because they're forced to be there.

America has a fantastic military. It's just a shame it's quagmired in Iraq.

Absolutely, I quite agree with you here.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm

"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Not at this time, but I could see a time where it could, but only after years of leftist control of government.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:36 pm

Kia ora Dave

In and of itself, military training is to some extent beneficial, insofar as it teaches discipline, survival skills, accountability etc all traits that help in facing life
Up until the end of the war in Nam, there was a draft here, and cadets was compulsory at school
While I objected to the compulsory aspect, I joined in with Cadets at school and enjoyed it, even becoming an NCO
However to be forced to fight someone elses battles does not sit well with me
Should my country be invaded, I will not have to be told to defend it and will do so with great alacrity, but never via compulsion
Most wars are fought due to propaganda (lies), all the more reason not to get involved

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:29 am

This just smacks of desperation. To bring back the draft to win Iraq is idiotic. More men is not the answer, i would have thought 160,000 troops would be enough. If Dubya brings back the draft now he'll be putting the final nails in the GOP's coffin. People don't want war, most like to watch it on TV but in reality would never fight themselves.

As i've said before. Dubya brings back the draft, he dramatically swells the population of Canada.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Return to Politics and Government