WAR crammed down our throats...

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

WAR crammed down our throats...

Postby jakimbro » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:02 pm

Bush has decided its war war war- and Cheney agrees- for the next 40 years... And they won't be stopped!

Critics Won't Halt Iraq Surge, Bush Says
By BEN FELLER, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, January 14, 2007
(01-14) 14:47 PST WASHINGTON, (AP) --

President Bush, facing opposition from both parties over his plan to send more troops to Iraq, said he has the authority to act no matter what Congress wants.

"I fully understand they could try to stop me from doing it. But I've made my decision. And we're going forward," Bush told CBS'"60 Minutes" in an interview to air Sunday night.

Vice President Dick Cheney asserted that lawmakers' criticism will not influence Bush's plans and he dismissed any effort to "run a war by committee."

"The president is the commander in chief. He's the one who has to make these tough decisions," Cheney said.

The defiant White House stance comes as both the House and Senate, now controlled by Democrats, prepare to vote on resolutions that oppose additional U.S. troops in Iraq. Cheney said those nonbinding votes would not affect Bush's ability to carry out his policies.

"He's the guy who's got to decide how to use the force and where to deploy the force," Cheney said. "And Congress obviously has to support the effort through the power of the purse. So they've got a role to play, and we certainly recognize that. But you also cannot run a war by committee."

Any attempts to block Bush's efforts would undermine the troops, Cheney said. He took particular aim at Democratic lawmakers who have blasted the president for increasing troops despite opposition from Congress, military advisers and a disgruntled electorate that in November ousted the GOP as the majority party on Capitol Hill.

"They have absolutely nothing to offer in its place," Cheney said of Democratic leaders. "I have yet to hear a coherent policy from the Democratic side."

Yet many Republican lawmakers, too, have begun to criticize Bush's war management. Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, for example, said last week he feared Bush's plan would be the worst foreign policy blunder since the Vietnam War.

Responding to that, Cheney said the most dangerous blunder would be to give up on the global fight against terrorism because the United States has decided the war in Iraq is too difficult. That is just what America's terrorist enemies are counting on, he said.

"They're convinced that the United States will pack it in and go home if they just kill enough of us," Cheney said. "They can't beat us in a standup fight, but they think they can break our will."

Bush announced last week he will send 21,500 more troops to Iraq to halt violence, mainly around Baghdad, as an essential step toward stabilizing the country's government. That plan — along with economic and political steps — are meant to allow Iraqis to move ahead with securing the country themselves and allow U.S. troops to gradually return home.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates arrived in London for talks Sunday with Prime Minister Tony Blair on Bush's new approach in Iraq and Britain's plan to withdraw troops from southern Iraq.

Like Bush, though, Cheney braced Americans to frame the war in Iraq as part of a much longer effort.

"This is an existential conflict," Cheney said. "It is the kind of conflict that's going to drive our policy and our government for the next 20 or 30 or 40 years. We have to prevail and we have to have the stomach for the fight long term."

The White House also said Sunday that Iranians are aiding the insurgency in Iraq and the U.S. has the authority to pursue them because they "put our people at risk."

"We are going to need to deal with what Iran is doing inside Iraq," national security adviser Stephen Hadley said.

Added Cheney: "Iran is fishing in troubled waters inside Iraq."

The U.S. military in Baghdad said five Iranians arrested in northern Iraq last week were connected to an Iranian Revolutionary Guard faction that funds and arms insurgents in Iraq.

"We do not want them doing what they can to destabilize the situation inside Iraq," Cheney said.

Bush's revised war strategy seeks to isolate Iran and Syria, which the U.S. has accused of fueling attacks in Iraq. The president also says Iran and Syria have not done enough to block terrorists from entering Iraq over their borders.

"We know there are jihadists moving from Syria into Iraq. ... We know also that Iran is supplying elements in Iraq that are attacking Iraqis and attacking our forces," Hadley said.

"What the president made very clear is these are activities that are going on in Iraq that are unacceptable. They put our people at risk. He said very clearly that we will take action against those. We will interdict their operations, we will disrupt their supply lines, we will disrupt these attacks," Hadley said.

"We are going to need to deal with what Iran is doing inside Iraq."

Iran's government denied the five detainees were involved in financing and arming insurgents and said they should be released.

Hadley asserted that if Iranians in Iraq "are doing things that are putting are people at risk, of course we have the authority to go after them and protect our people."

Hadley sidestepped a question about whether U.S. forces would move across the border to pursue Iranians who are helping Iraqi insurgents.

He said the priority "is what's going on inside Iraq. ... That's where we're going to deal with his problem."

Hadley was interviewed on "This Week" on ABC and "Meet the Press" on NBC. Cheney was on "Fox News Sunday."
YEAH! Another war! WHOO HOO! America will kick their Al Kweda ass!
I wonder what American 'democracy' will look like after this new war is over in 2047? :?:
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby AJRC_CS » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:34 pm

It would seem that when Dubya asked the Democrats to work closely with the republicans he didn't mean that the republicans should work closely with the Democrats. Seems like Dubya is having a tantrum now he can't have everything his own way. I think he will push for the troops to go to Iraq, not because it's the right thing to do, but because he can. He wants to show the democrats that they can't control him, pity it might cost good soldiers their lives because of one moronic mans ego. The GOP are using the same tired old tactic they used in 2003, if you criticise us then your criticising the troops, that makes you an anti-American. :roll:
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Democrats have been throwing a tantrum for 6 years; high time Bush gives them the middle finger. :cool:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby haysi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 pm

I know how to turn the television and radio off, :biggrin:
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Haysi knows some cool actions...
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:31 pm

Democrats have been throwing a tantrum for 6 years; high time Bush gives them the middle finger.

Dubya has been giving the Democrats the middle finger for six years, that's why he got his ass kicked in November. When you take your eye off the ball, you lose.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby jakimbro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm

But you can't turn Bush off and on.
And he's bent on sending very fine lads and lassies to die in a very nasty
place. Just because he can. How many more are going to die?

:?:
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby Bedford » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:03 pm

jakimbro wrote: How many more are going to die?

:?:

The same can be said of the many abortion clinics.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby bermbits » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Misuse of analogy.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby jakimbro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:37 pm

The same can be said of the many abortion clinics.

And what through what process of thought did you arrive at this ridiculous comparison? You ARE comparing the Iraq war to a woman's right to choose abortions or not?

Yes, well in the fascist world that you envision- forcing women to have unwanted children so that the Military state might have future soldiers to fight in more foreign wars does have a sort of twisted logic.

I believe Hitler had a eugenics breeding program along the same lines. Of course he had plans to educate, fed and house these children. Where as the GOP simply wants to prevent abortions- but makes no plans to help the poor familes care for children they cannot afford.

What matter anyway. If the kids make it to 17 - old enough to be put in uniform- its actually to the advantage of the Military state that they be uneducated, ill fed and ready to die.

Of course the democratic congress would like to end the war and spend the billion dollars we waste everyday in Iraq on helping eradicate poverty and on education in America; but then means Al Queda would have won and Dubya would have lost. And we can't have that can we?

So screw the children. Until they are old enough to serve Uncle Sam of course.

:biggrin:
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Return to Politics and Government