Is this true?

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

Is this true?

Postby Silke » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:23 pm

"Menneskene i Puerto Rico er amerikanske statsborgere, men kan ikke stemme på USAs president, men kan derimot bli rekruttert til hæren."

source: http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=152645

It says:

"Humans in Ruerto Rico are american citizens, but cannot vote for the USA presidents, but they can be recuted for the army"

is this true? how can it be citizens that aren't allowed to vote? pretty democraty...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:05 pm

Because Puerto Rico is not a state. However, it also doesn't pay federal taxes but yet get many of the benefits of US citizenship. Most Puerto Ricans kinda like their situation, which is why there has been no serious attempt to leave US control or become a state.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Skinjob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:22 pm

There are many great Puerto Ricans. One of my best friends in the U.S. Air Force was Puerto Rican. He was a Major, and one of the smartest, kindest, and nicest people I ever knew. He had a wonderful family of accomplished people. His wife was also Puerto Rican.

We both retired from the Air Force. He stayed in Minot, ND, of all places. I moved back to Oregon. We spoke on the phone and sent cards at Christmas. About 8 years later he got cancer and his wife called and told me that he died. I feel sad every time I think about them.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:19 am

Kia ora Silke

On July 25, 1898 at the outbreak of the Spanish–American War, Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States with a landing at Guánica. Following the outcome of the war, Spain was forced to cede Puerto Rico, along with Cuba, the Philippines, and Guam to the United States under the Treaty of Paris (1898).[8] Puerto Rico began the twentieth century under the military rule of the United States with officials, including the governor, appointed by the President of the United States. The Foraker Act of 1900 had given Puerto Rico a certain amount of popular government. By 1917, the Jones-Shafroth Act granted U.S. citizenship to Puerto Ricans - a status they still hold today. Many Puerto Ricans served in the U.S. Armed Forces beginning in World War I. Natural disasters and the Great Depression impoverished the island. Some political leaders demanded change; some, like Pedro Albizu Campos, would lead a nationalist (The Puerto Rican Nationalist Party) movement in favor of independence. He served many years in prison for seditious conspiracy to overthrow the U.S. Government in Puerto Rico.[9] Luis Muñoz Marín initially favored independence, but saw a severe decline of the Puerto Rican economy, as well as growing violence and uprisings and opted to support the "commonwealth" option instead. The "commonwealth" was supported before Luis Muñoz Marín by other political leaders.

Change in the nature of the internal governance of the island came about during the later years of the Roosevelt–Truman administrations, as a form of compromise spearheaded by Muñoz Marín and others, and which culminated with the appointment by President Harry Truman in 1946 of the first Puerto Rican-born governor, Jesus T. Piñero. In 1947, the United States granted the right to democratically elect the governor of Puerto Rico. Luis Muñoz Marín became the first elected governor of Puerto Rico in the 1948 general elections, serving as such for 16 years, until 1964.

Starting at this time, there was heavy migration from Puerto Rico to the Continental United States, particularly New York City, in search of better economic conditions. Puerto Rican migration to New York averaged as follows: 1930-1940, 1,800; 1946-1950, 31,000; 1951-1960, 45,000, 1953 (peak year), 75,000.[10] As of 2003, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates that there are more people of Puerto Rican birth or ancestry living in the United States than in Puerto Rico itself.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:24 am

An unincorporated United States insular area, of which there are currently thirteen, three in the Caribbean (Navassa Island, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands) and ten in the Pacific (American Samoa, Baker Island, Guam, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, the Northern Mariana Islands and Wake Atoll).

A complete explanation of protectorates is given here. It may be boring reading but the list of all the places falling under US protection is much larger than I realized.

http://www.doi.gov/oia/FAQ/FAQindex.htm#3
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Skinjob » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:02 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_Doctrine

Spain didn't belong in the Western Hemisphere.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:05 am

Kia ora Skinjob

Skinjob wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_Doctrine
Spain didn't belong in the Western
Hemisphere.

Interesting, seeing as that the "white culture" has always identified itself as "western"
So where does that leave the Portugese?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:43 am

Van,

I'm not talking about nationalities; I'm talking about political spheres of influence. Monroe did not want Europeans and others from making a grab for North and South America. But, the Monroe Doctrine is more complicated than just that, as you can see by the link. :banana:

The U.S. knew that it was necessary to stop the Europeans from taking over those so-called "Banana Republics" in South America and elsewhere, because they would be a direct threat to us. The War of 1812 was still fresh in their minds.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 am

However, the Monroe Doctrine was mainly enforced by the British Navy, which didn't want to see increased European activity in Latin America either, and had a navy mroe apt to the job than the US had at the time.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Kia ora

The Ponce Massacre is a violent chapter in the history of Puerto Rico. On March 21, 1937 (Palm Sunday) a march was organized in the southern city of Ponce, Puerto Rico by the Puerto Rican Nationalist Party. The march, organized to commemorate the end of Slavery in 1873, was also formed to protest the incarceration of nationalist leader Pedro Albizu Campos, as well as to demand Puerto Rico's independence from the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponce_Massacre

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Skinjob » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Puerto Ricans tried to murder President Truman, and later they managed to shoot 5 U.S. Congressmen.

"A month later, two Puerto Rican nationalists made an unsuccessful attempt on Truman's life in Washington, killing a police officer in the process. And in March 1954, four Puerto Rican nationalists wounded five U.S. Congressmen when they fired down into the House of Representatives from the visitors' gallery."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/pu ... 32693.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Capit ... dent_(1954)
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Return to Politics and Government