UK Budget

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

UK Budget

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:50 pm

What did people in the UK think of the Budget today? Did you think it was good, bad or just more of the same. Gordon Brown has cut 2p from income tax, put 1p on beer, 5p on wine and 11p on cigarettes. Road tax for "gas guzzlers" like 4x4's is going up from £200 to £400, that will make mothers think twice about getting a BMW X5 just to run the kids to school in. Road tax for the least polluting cars, like mine, will be cut from £50 to £35. He's putting 2p on petrol, but this is being put on hold for 6 months.

For me this budget didn't really change anything, ok so he's make a few tax cuts that look good on paper but won't actually make any real difference to most people. I think Gordon Brown didn't want to do anything drastic as he's expected to be announced as the new Prime Minister in the next few months.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Rusty » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:08 pm

That budget doesn`t make much difference to me although we will be quids in on the car front.
When we bought a static/mobile home and then sold the caravan,it meant that we wouldn`t be towing anymore so we sold the 4X4 and bought a much smaller car.

I don`t drink alcohol and my fags come in from abroad so he can go whistle for his 11p.

Oh and our car is diesel and if he has put that up,it doesn`t really matter to us because as my husband works away all week in his tanker,the car is parked up in his firms yard all week.

I don`t think Brown likes us. :(
It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:00 am

Yeah, it didn't make a vast difference to me. The one thing that does is his cut in the Corporation Tax from 30% to 28%, doesn't seem like a massive cut but it means i get to keep an extra 2% of my companies profits every year.

And ever since i switched my car from petrol to Liquefied Petroleum Gas i pay the lowest road tax, so now i only have to pay £35. :D

I drink spirits mostly (Jack Daniels) and Brown kept the price of spirits as they were, which was nice of him. Neither of us smoke so an 11p hike does not effect us.

I don't think any politician particularly like us, but as Brown will be our new leader soon he played it safe.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:12 pm

I'd agree AJ, it was fairly bland and neutral, but what's wrong with that ? Sometimes, making few changes is just what is needed, if the balance elsewhere is OK. We are not a poor country; we have wealth, intelligence and integrity. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it !

I personally am immensely grateful that we have such a good education system, a decent welfare system, an ok health care package (for instance, if I need to see my doctor, I don't have to worry whether I can afford to or not) and am quite happy to pay my NI to pay for it. I don't have children or parents anymore but I am quite content for my taxes to be used to educate the next generation as well as provide social care for the previous one.
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Makinamess wrote:We are not a poor country; we have wealth, intelligence and integrity. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it !

I agree, our economy is growing faster than all other nations in the G7, this includes the US. Our inflation is 2.8% at the moment with a projected fall to 2% in 2008. Productivity gap closed with Japan and Germany; nearly closed with US. So why go mental and start making huge changes to the budget when our economy is doing very well. Our economy is growing at 2.5% at the moment with a projected 3% by next year, so things are looking very rosy for the future.

Our education system is great, with Brown saying spending on education will rise from £60bn to £70bn, as you say our welfare system is ok but it's getting better and the NHS to get a £10bn rise in funds, this is the biggest cash increase ever under any government. Brown wants more new hospitals built and others modernized.

Not to sound smug, but it's good to be British.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Return to Politics and Government