Congress goes on vacation- and stomps the 4th amendment

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

Congress goes on vacation- and stomps the 4th amendment

Postby jakimbro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:36 am

Congress backs foreign wiretaps - and President Bush welcomed the vote

Congress in the US has backed a measure allowing the government to eavesdrop on foreigners suspected of having links with terrorism.
The House of Representatives approved the bill by a majority of 44 after its approval in the Senate, with the Democratic majority split on the issue.

The bill allows taps on foreign phone and internet communications routed via the US, without prior court approval.

President George Bush says the measure is needed to combat terrorist threats.

The House voted late on Saturday 227-183 in favour of the bill, which updates the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

"Unprecedented measure"

When the new measures come into force, the government will have the right to intercept, without warrants, communications between foreigners that are routed through equipment in the US, provided that "foreign intelligence information" is at stake.

In his first reaction, Mr Bush hailed the vote in the House, which is dominated by opposition Democrats. "The Director of National Intelligence, Mike McConnell, has assured me that this bill gives him what he needs to continue to protect the country, and therefore I will sign this legislation as soon as it gets to my desk," Bush chortled.

But many House Democrats expressed strong reservations about the bill, saying it infringed constitutional rights.

"This bill would grant the attorney general the ability to wiretap anybody, any place, any time without court review, without any checks and balances," said Democratic Rep. Zoe Lofgren during the debate preceding the vote.

"I think this unwarranted, unprecedented measure would simply eviscerate the 4th Amendment" of the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures.

The administration introduced changes to the law after a recent ruling by the FISA court.

That decision barred the government from eavesdropping without warrants on foreign suspects whose messages were being routed through US communications carriers, including internet sites.

Yes Internet sites- LIKE THIS ONE!

Wave hi to George Dubya everyone. You are all on Candid camera.
If you end up on the No Fly list- now you know why.

And how did the traitor that you elected to congress vote? Go hear to read who voted for this bill:

http://votesmart.org/issue_keyvote_deta ... n_id=30880

All of the traitors I elected (2 democrats & 1 republican) voted for it. But in their defense- this bill was sprung on them late at night on the last day before thier vacations were to begin. Curiuous how all the really Interesting legeslative bills get that late night pre-weekend/pre-vacation time slot. The Patriot Act was also voted on in the same way. And I'll bet most of these bastards didn't read this bill before they voted on it either.
Also: This bill will take any bite out of Impeaching Bush for warrantless Wiretapping- since what he did then is now approved by Congress.

Also: Congress comes back in session in the week of the next 9/11. Unless they have been disbanded by Bush for national security reasons because of the next terrorist attack that will occur that week....
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby jakimbro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:44 am

Here's great little OP-Ed that exposes this fraud:

Quick Brown Fox ­
Lazy Yellow Dog
By Ted Lang
8-7-7

Not only has the Democratic-controlled Congress forgiven the Bush regime for the felonies committed by Cheney, Bush and the National Security Agency for violating FISA legislation signed into law by Congress back in 1978, but they have given these criminals even more powers. Cheney cleverly waited for the last moment right before the congroidial recess to spring this new dictatorial power authority for the regime on the congroids, threatening to waste the latter's August vacation time by holding them as prisoners in their own legislative halls until they did sign.

More at:
http://www.rense.com/general77/modth.htm
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:55 am

This type of tactic doesn't surprise me, politicians are all the same. And you should know Jerry that your Constitution no longer means anything, it's simply a very old piece of paper. Well unless the 2nd Amendment is ever challenged then the GOP will state that the Constitution is the most important document in the world. :roll:
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby bermbits » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:33 am

Ron Paul is looking better and better.

At least he has read the Constitution.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ohlia » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:33 am

Ron Paul has some great ideas but he will not get far with them because they make too much sense.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby jakimbro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:57 am

Well, I have lost all hope for the future. Ron Paul is just this years spoiler- like Perot in '96, Nader in 2000, like Dean in '04. He's jsut there to spyhon off the vote of dissidents and malcontents; while the ones who run ever thing just toss your vote away or don't count it at all. To me voting is liek beleiving in santa claus. oh we go through the ritual for our kids- but we know it isn't real..just another holiday tradition.

I'm just waiting for civilizataion to crak as our infrastructures- roads, bridges, schools and hospitals crumble, as we foght a series of endless wars to designed to relegate America to third world status.

I have no solutions. Voting is a scam. Our 'Democracy' is a crock. And there is no hope at all anywhere.
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby Bedford » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:51 am

Since the eavesdropping involves listening to foreigners speak to foreigners, there is no dissolving of the Constititution has foreigners do not and should not have Constitution rights.

Now, the truly worrisome thing is how the GOP actually won a vote with a 215-213 vote, and yet the Empress Pelosi had the voting system "malfunction" so it became 214-214. Talk about trampling on the minority. But I'm not going to whine about it; when the GOP retakes the House in 2009, that is a really useful precedent.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby emanresu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:39 am

The goal of every congress that has sat since the writing of the constitution is to dismiss the premise of the drafters that all men are created equal. Of course, thrown together during the slavery era, how much did those words truly mean? Government has never been of, for or by the people, it has always been at the people. In the face, really.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby meadow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Bedford: nope. you are WRONG. they can listen on American citizens but if they are found to not be "involved" they just have to "delete the information". they don't even need a warrant to began proceedings against people. nice try though.

i heard about this yesterday on NPR. it's only a 6 month thing. and of course, Alberto Gonzales and the other dude [sorry, his name escapes me at the mo'] will push for it to be law in 6 months but by then the primaries will have started and the real elections getting started.

we can only hope that whomever becomes the next President sees the stupidity of this whole thing and gets rid of it!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby jakimbro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:55 pm

Pengy- I don't know where you picked up these latest lies- as the official Congressional record and the BBC show the House passed this hideous bill
thusly:

Roll no. 836
Bill Passed (House)
How members voted
(227 - 183)

Believe me however I have no love for Nancy Pelosi since she has refused to do any of the things she was elected to do. Another congressional traitor. There is a recall effoert in her home district underway to get her out- and Cindy Sheehan wants to run for Congress
and get Nancy's seat in the House. If that were to happen- oh sweet Justice might rise at last- but we know that will never happen.

I do NOT share Meadow's optimism that the bill will be allowed to lapse in
six months - or that a suceeding president will allow this kind of dictatorial power to slip from their grasp. For one thing- there won't be another election. And for another - they can always TAKE your freedoms away- but rarely are freedoms won back without a fight.

As Emnarescu points out this goverment ceased to be anything for the people long long ago and became only interested in using the laws to protect itself from scrutiny of the people it was supposed to represent.

What you fail to understand Pengy is that this adminstration is Not Republican - no more than it is Christian. That was a handy label designed to win the allegiance of fools such as yourself. You would be one of the first to go if push came to shove- when the Dictatorship comes they will divest themselves of you and shoot you in the back. Because they know you are a traitor and a fool and they would suffer neither once they have established Control. Look at Hitler's rise. Some of the first to go were his thug buddies in the brown shirts on the Night of Long Knives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_long_knives

And thats how you will go- a knife in the back, a bullet in the brain at the hands of a Dictator you put into power. And the pity of it is- you pathetic fool - is that you will be clueless as to your own bloody handed collaboration until the very end. You will blubber apologies and platitudes as the executioner calmly loads his pistol and blows off your head.

Then you can tell your lies to Satan in hell.
Last edited by jakimbro on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby meadow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Jakimbro: based on what i heard yesterday it has a six month time limit. at that time they can choose to make it more permanent and not let it lapse. hopefully enough people will realize what this REALLY means and fight against it. NPR spent about 15 minutes talking about it yesterday so at least the press is aware.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 pm

jakimbro wrote: And thats how you will go- a knife in the back, a bullet in the brain at the hands of a Dictator you put into power. And the pity of it is- you pathetic fool - is that you will be clueless as to your own bloody handed collaboration until the very end. You will blubber apologies and platitudes as the executioner calmly loads his pistol and blows off your head.

Then you can tell your lies to Satan in hell.

The proper response to those statements

All that Democrats said during the election was meant to placate morons like you who actually believe Bush is the next Hitler. Bush has bent over backwards and forwards to get along with Democrats, and for what?

Second, in such a scenario, I'd be the one pulling the trigger towards traitors, which are those that actually think Pelosi and Reid are good for the country. Heck, the more Obama speaks, the more I wonder if he's a plant for Al Queda. He cartainly seems to want to take such actions.

Now, if you excuse me, I need to get back to that wiretap we have on your cellph..., uh, I mean, get back to reading my e-mail. Yeah, that's it.

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby jakimbro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:18 pm

Meadow: I think the Patriot Act was supposed to be limited too. And they voted it in again. I can't think of one law they have ever rescended (except Prohibiton) when the the time came to get rid of it. It's a scam.
And I really am stunned that this congress let this thing pass - knowing how badly Bush shredded the Constitution by this warrentless wiretapping in the first place. Its inexcusable. This is the worst Congress in history.

Pengy: First off you won't catch me defending the democrats ever again. They are almost all traitors whose ineffectiveness in congress in the last eight years and lemminglike mass mind has led this country to the brink.

Bush could have been fought at the beginning- but they were afraid too.
I wrote and begged my senator in january of '01 not to ratify Bush as a legitimate president- as indeed most of the black members of the House DID do- but could not find a single senator to vote along with them. (This travesty is shown in Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911- and it is a heartbreaking piece of film.) The Senator in question: Bob Graham wrote me back and assured me he had voted for the quality of the man who was 'elected' - not his politics. Years later this same senator called the Bush adminstration 'the most corrupt in history' and resigned his post to run against them in the '06 election. Graham had the distinction in Washington of being truly bi-partisan and was one of the few democrats chosen to be in on the very secret United States Senate Select Committee. Graham KNOWS who caused 9/11 but is gagged by law from saying so. But his actions speak volumes. Now he KNOWS Bush is a traitor a amonster amd yes another Hitler- but he waited too late - too late to do anything about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... telligence
http://edition.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS ... index.html

Yes Bush could have been booted out in the first few weeks of his political coup-just like Hitler could have been prevented from invading the Sudetenland- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland with just a little show of force and balls- something the 2000 congress and Britain's Prime Minister Chamberlain lacked..and both Hitler and Bush sensed the weaknesses in thier foes and have exploited it unmercifully.

Second its not a slur to link Hitler and Bush- as you may or may not know
Dubya's great Uncle Prescott supported the Third Reich financially well after Pearl Harbor until they were shut down by the US Goverment under the Trading with the Enemies Act in 1943. Prescott Bush also had a financial stake in the building of Auschwitz and was rewarded for his support by 2 million in gold stolen from jewish victims of the holocaust. it was this money that allowed George HW Bush to run for Senate in the 1950s- allowing him to begin his long twisted career that would lead him into the White house. http://ecosyn.us/Bush-Hitler

It's no idle thing to wonder what kind of values have been instilled in the Bush family that they would have truck with Nazis. And hasn't their heir Dubya said repeatedly how much easier it would be to be dictator? Has ANY thing he has done given more freedom to the country or taken more of our rights away? Bush is currently one step from calling for martial law in this country and siezing complete control. Its at his discretion- or Dick Cheney's. And it WILL happen.

Thirdly- Al Queda doesn't exist. Few peopl know where or waht the term Al Queda means or comes from. Its Arabic for 'The Database' and it stems from the list of Mujahedine freedom fighters employed in the Soviet Afghan war that the CIA covertly gathered together trained and supported. Bin Ladin was on this list and very high up. After that war was over- "al queda ' was still kept together and supported covertly by Bush I and Clinton. For what puprose? I think we can see they have become the scapegoat for American foreign policies that supported the Talibann and Saddam Hussain - until they too ceased to serve the interests of the Bush administration. http://www.rense.com/general68/alq.htm

The point is- the CIA and others have known who and where Al Queda is all along. They probably know where Bin Ladin is right now. Because Al Queda is being paid with tax money from you and me.
And what useful scapegoats they are- we now have a world wide war on terror - and The goverment can be suspended and Martial law established on as flimsy an excuse as rumors of an "Al Queda" attack.

But doubtless you don't believe or care anything I've told you. Because you are just a useful fool- until you aren't anymore- and then you're just a dead fool instead.
Last edited by jakimbro on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby Bedford » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:42 pm

You know, sometimes I wonder what cracks me up more: a CD by either Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Larry the Cable Guy, or one of Kimbro's posts.

Oh yeah, I'm glad I'm ready for such statements that Kimbro makes

BTW, many of your side did everything they could to come up with a vote tally that gave Gore Florida, and none could. Bush was legitimately elected.

If I ever do a cartoon showing all the zany people of BF, Kimbro is soooo going to be the Wade Duck.
Last edited by Bedford on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby jakimbro » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Pengy:
I was here in Florida during the 2000 elections in Tallahssee and I watched them steal the vote. On Inauguration day 2001 i was at the State wide protest at the Floirda capitol and I saw things then that still make me wonder how deep the fix had gone in. It has been confirmed Gore won Florida- and the news came out on 9/11/01. the same day as- well even you know waht happened then. Another in the amazing string of coincidences about that day.

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/1115-02.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international ... 64,00.html
http://www.americanpolitics.com/2001gore.html

But I'm done arguing with you. Its just a waste of precious time.
To Quote that Great American patriot Dick Cheney: FUCK YOU!
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby Bedford » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm sure you saw a lot of things...the kool-aid was spiked with Everclear, I reckon. :biggrin:

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:48 am

Talking of spiked Kool-aid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXDlqqD6JBU
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Ad Hominem attack: Drinking The Kool-aid

Postby jakimbro » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:20 am

For those of you who don't understand Pengy's insulting ad hominem attack upon me- here is the cultural reference he is using- doubtless stolen from one of the many Republican hate groups he frequents. Its a phrase beloved particularly by Rush Limbaugh among others to denigrate the philosophy and arguments of anyone he disagrees with:

"Drinking the Kool-Aid"

Contrary to popular belief, Kool-Aid was not used in the infamous punch at JonestownThe idiomatic expression "drinking the Kool-Aid" was originally a reference to the Merry Pranksters, a group of people associated with novelist Ken Kesey who in the early 1960s travelled around the United States and held events called "Acid Tests", where LSD-laced Kool-Aid was passed out to the public (LSD was legal at that time). Those who "drank the Kool-Aid" passed the "Acid Test." "Drinking the Kool-Aid" in that context meant accepting the LSD drug culture, and the Pranksters' "turned on" point of view. These events were described in Tom Wolfe's 1968 classic, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.[4]

It is also now closely associated with the 1978 cult mass-suicide/murder in Jonestown, Guyana. Jim Jones, the leader of the Peoples Temple, convinced his followers to move to Jonestown. Late in the year, he then ordered his flock to commit suicide by drinking grape-flavored Flavor Aid laced with potassium cyanide. In what is now commonly called the "Jonestown Massacre," a large majority of the 913 people later found dead drank the brew. (The discrepancy between the idiom and the actual occurrence is likely due to Flavor Aid's relative obscurity versus the easily recognizable Kool-Aid.) The precise expression can be attested in usage at least as early as 1987[4]. One lasting legacy of the Jonestown tragedy is the saying, "Don't drink the Kool-Aid." This has come to mean, "Don’t trust any group you find to be a little on the kooky side," or "Whatever they tell you, don't believe it too strongly."[1] The phrase can also be used in the opposite sense to indicate that one has blindly embraced a particular philosophy or perspective (a "Kool-Aid drinker", or, as a cynical response to a fanatical claim, "sounds like someone's been drinking the Kool-Aid!").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool_aid#. ... ool-Aid.22

I admit ignorance of the origin of this insult- but to be equated with Kesey's Merry Pranksters is not a bad thing. I have read the Electric Kool-Aid Acid test. And I bet Pengy has not. So I will bear his insult with pride stemming as it does from a time when some people were not afraid to explore altenative philosophies and when their eyes were opened to the senseless Viertnam war, the corruption of Richard Nixon and the commercial lies of American society.

I don't understand the Everclear reference though. Perhaps pengy will enlighten us?
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:35 am

I've never been clear on this Kool-aid insult, but to me it would seem the only people who use it are right wing extremists who don't know anything about their own government and instead have to make up 99.9% the crap they spew. It seems just a little bit of a double standard when the right wingers call you a kook not to be trusted, but lie and troll on a regular basis on political forums.

So i wouldn't really take it as an insult, Jerry. The people who actually matter on this forum all trust your judgement and regularly laugh as you PWN your waddling (or warddling as pronounced on youtube) adversary.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby bermbits » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:45 am

Variations on a theme - getting back on the topic, how about the Fifth Amendment as well????

http://www.slate.com/id/2171743/fr/flyout
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Next

Return to Politics and Government