John Edwards a Phony?

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

John Edwards a Phony?

Postby bermbits » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:49 am

http://www.thestate.com/editorial-colum ... 39273.html

I know the above couldn't be true (of John or almost every other politician), but it does remind me of a personal story. Several years ago, a local convenience store around the corner from where I live was the area "headquarters" for George H. W. Bush. The owner asked me if I would show up and do an interview because Barbara Bush was coming! As I was writing for the paper then, I agreed.

At the designated time, I was waiting with notebook and pen in hand, and Barbara Bush and her entourage pulled up. In the store with me was a true "local." He was dressed in dirty green work clothes covered in sawdust. He was unshaven, snaggle-toothed, and had a large dark red birthmark covering half of his face. As most of us do with a "celebrity" (or power person), I focused on her face. Her smile faltered noticeably when she looked at that man and a look of disgust passed over her expression... for a moment. Then the smile returned. It was then that I truly understood the attitude of many (most?) power people - there's Them and then there's the rest of us.

Do you believe that most politicians are power seekers, or are any truly sincere? How do you know the difference?
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:53 am

i totally agree with you. there is definitely a huge 'class' gap in this country now. it's assumed by many that if you are poor that you are also lazy, or that you are stupid. because we have this false sense of a "bootstrap mentality" we think that anyone who doesn't succeed is lazy by design. because if "XYZ" can pull themselves out of poverty, why everyone then can!

politicians who come from a more modest means really seem to hold this view of others, particularly the "poor".

i think there are sincere people out there but i think they don't last or stay that way for long. and they are much more effective at the local or state level than the national or federal level. some are idealistic having come from poorer backgrounds and genuinely want to help. but to do that...you still gotta play The Game. you gotta smile, shake hands and pretend you are interested in every single person that comes into your line of vision. you have to pretend you can make these people believe in a "relationship" of sorts in that few seconds you can make eye contact.

people do things like this every day on a much, much smaller and more intimate scale. it's called going to work!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:13 pm

I still remember the Barbara Bush quote not long after Hurricane Katrina:

What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.

I think the more power a politician gets, the more out of touch with the people they become. And remember folks, a politician will say and do anything to get elected. John Edwards is no exception. I bet he will even bring himself to shake the hands of the working class if he thinks it will get him their vote.

I think on the whole, every politician is phoney. None of them make a promise they can keep, no politician can ever give a straight answer and no politician when they say they want to help the poor ever really means it.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby ohlia » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:46 pm

AJRC_CS wrote:I think on the whole, every politician is phoney. None of them make a promise they can keep, no politician can ever give a straight answer and no politician when they say they want to help the poor ever really means it.

This is so true, AJ. I totally agree.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Politics and Government