Do you vote?

Solve all the world's problems in this forum.
NOTE: While debate is a good thing, we expect all parties to have respect for individual opinions here.

Do you vote?

Postby haysi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Are you registered to vote?

In the UK we need to be registered to vote, we are entered onto the voters/electoral roll at age 17 and are eligible to vote at 18.

I think that voting should be made compulsory. There is a downward trend in the turnouts for local and national elections. I think that a fine should be imposed if you do not register your vote - I think that the voting system needs to be reshaped and that not only the parties that are standing for election are on the ballot paper but also 'none of the above' should apply. That would give a good indication of peoples distrust of all parties rather than simply spoiling a ballot paper or not voting at all.

Or am I being too simplistic?

Hx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:57 pm

i still need to register to vote here but i've voted in just about every election since i turned 18. i was pissed that i wasn't old enough for the '88 elections.

i'm not sure how long we'll actually be here but i'm probably going to do it when i get my Texas driver's license.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Yogi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:04 pm

What would be the difference between not registering to vote and choosing "none of the above" They both have the same effect, do they not?
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby bermbits » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:52 pm

Ever since I was old enough to vote, I have... in virtually every election... even when there were no contested slots. I don't feel I have the right to complain if I don't vote, and lately, complain I do. I have to confess in a few elections, I wrote my own name in, but I am still unelected. Maybe I will run for real in a year or two. I did run once for town library trustee as there were no candidates, but another lady did the same thing. I lost but received many congrats for doing so well against a "local" name. The outcome was something like 350 to 260 +/-.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:08 pm

One of the first things I did when I turned 18 was register to vote, and I rarely miss a vote, although I think I missed a general while away to college.

Personally, I am not worried about a lack of voters. If people are ignorant who to vote for, they shouldn't vote.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:01 am

I just missed out on the 87 election as i was only 17, but have voted in every general election from 1992 to 2005.

I honestly don't think people should be forced to vote, if you vote it should be because you want to not because you have to. If politics just doesn't bother you then don't vote, if you strongly agree/disagree with a political party, then vote to get them in/out. But forcing people to vote is bordering on the tyrannical.

I remember a online game where you could create your own nation with it's own politics, forgotten the name of it now. One of the choices was to have a 'None of the Above' choice on the ballot paper.

"It's a simple matter really," says left-wing activist and former rock star George W. Jones. "Sometimes when you're voting, all the options suck. Why then should people be forced to hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two, or even three or four evils? Adding 'None of the Above' to the ballot would ensure that the people have a choice at all times, even if that choice is to reject the choices they have been given!"
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby haysi » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks for your comments,I feel that there is a distinct apathy in this country at least with regards to voting. I do wish that there was a way to encourage people to vote and perhaps compelling them to do so would not be the right thing to do!

I know thought that if you added additional options to the ballot paper then the political parties would see why people are not voting i.e. none of the above meaning that none of the parties are the preferred choice.

I always vote and encourage everyone around me and at work to do so but a lot of people dont bother as they dont think that their vote can make a difference - I think it can.

Hx
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:46 am

AJRC: it was "Nationstates" and was based on a novel called Jennifer something or other. :)

i'm not yet registered to vote but i will. i feel that if you don't vote, you can't complain. and i love to complain. :P
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby haysi » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:49 am

meadow wrote:
i'm not yet registered to vote but i will. i feel that if you don't vote, you can't complain. and i love to complain. :P

Really? I hadnt noticed that about you Meadow :tongue:
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:23 am

i know! i'm the shy, quiet, reserved type really. i tend to love to be in the background about politics! :tongue:
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Flawless » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:02 pm

I voted in the 2004 elections. I need to register to vote again once I get my missouri license.
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby haysi » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:06 pm

In the UK you remain on the voters roll at the address you are initially registered at and then you need to inform them if you move address. Unfortunately a great deal of people do not do so. I think that it is really important to be registered to vote and more important to use it at an election.
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:01 pm

Kia ora Haysi

Compulsion achieves nothing, for there are ways to circumvent the system
A lack of interest in voting can often be traced to a dissatisfaction with the system
Since our system here changed from 1st past the post, 2 party system, voter turn out has risen markedly, at least in National elections
Local body still has a poor turnout however

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby googie egg » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Yes, at every election. Its more than a right, its a responsibility.

I think that people who are over 18 and do not vote should have their citizenship suspended. You country asks very little of you and voting is a 10 minute job once in a while (all up, on average about once a year.) If you don't think that ten minutes of your time is worthy of your country, I'm not so sure that your country is worthy of you.

You can always spoil a ballot if you don't like those on offer. Those votes are also counted (although they have no bearing on outcomes) and I believe if there were enough "spoiled/informal/improper" votes there would be a clear message to the government/other politcial parties in that as well.
Non faciunt meliorem equum aurei freni - Seneca
googie egg
Helpless

Postby van » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Kia ora Googie

I think that people who are over 18 and do not vote should have their citizenship suspended

So where would you send them?
Big bro would never contemplate such an action as they want to keep tabs on all living in the country

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby googie egg » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:39 am

You don't send them anywhere. You treat them as if they were permenant residents.

But they don't get a passport, they don't get any tax concessions/grants that citizens can get, they don't get any citizenship benefits at all until they complete and pass a citizenship course. Then if they miss the next vote they have to do it again.
Non faciunt meliorem equum aurei freni - Seneca
googie egg
Helpless

Postby emanresu » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:30 am

If I believed in honest elections, I probably would vote. And as for my country asking so little of me, maybe that's why I have so little. Also, there used to be such a thing as the draft here. Maybe it was little too, since a lot of the people I used to know traded everything to get their names on a wall.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby jakimbro » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Yes, I vote- but since I live in Florida, USA- nobody counts it.

:tongue:
Jerry Kimbro
<i>By Crom!</i>
jakimbro
Bad Seed

Voting is a right

Postby dargla » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:08 am

I think serving your country in some capacity should be mandatory, and voting be a privilege which can only be earned by those who do.
dargla
dargla
Helpless

Postby Skinjob » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:11 pm

dargla,

I agree.
Sixty miles per gallon? Not really. Cheap? Nope. Phoney and stupid? Yes, the Prius is global warming on 4 wheels.
Skinjob
Hero Of The Day

Next

Return to Politics and Government