Al Gore is Right...

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Al Gore is Right...

Postby bermbits » Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 pm

About this: Former US vice president Al Gore on Friday criticized the "trivialities and nonsense" of celebrity gossip in the media and called on people to focus instead on issues like Iraq and climate change. "What is it about our collective decision-making process that has led us to this state of affairs where we spend much more time in the public forum talking about -- or receiving information about -- Britney Spears shaving her head or Paris Hilton going to jail?" Gore asked. He lamented what he described as the "destruction of the boundary between news and entertainment" and said the United States was "vulnerable as a democracy to mass and continuing distraction."

It's not just in the US, is it?
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Yogi » Mon May 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Al is right, but short sighted in some ways. The major media has changed drastically since Al "invented" the Internet. He is still thinking old pre Web 2.0 terms. Newspapers and news broadcasters are turning to the Internet now because people aren't paying attention to them much more.

My personal opinion is that all the television stations as well as newspapers could suddenly disappear and I'd not miss them. I can get my news elsewhere from more trusting sources. I suppose the way the media is responding to this rush away from them is with more show and less factual reporting. The fact that people are not buying into it, and going out on their own to find out the real story, says a lot about the general public. And I don't think it's necessarily bad news.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue May 29, 2007 1:36 am

No it's not just in the US, here in the UK we have the same problem. I agree with Yogi, our media outlets have adapted to the change by moving away from news and becoming more centred on entertainment. Celebrities cover the front pages of most tabloids, the real news doesn't start till page 5. Like Yogi i get my news from sources that i know just report the news and that are not fixated on what Angelina Jolie is up to on a day to day basis.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 pm

it's the same everywhere and since i could care less about some celebs latest botox injections, or some dreadful dissaster in asia, i don't watch/read news. i get the 'real' stuff on the net.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to In The News