Record opium crop in southern Afghanistan

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Record opium crop in southern Afghanistan

Postby Yogi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:55 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/s ... 48,00.html

My first instinct was to give President Bush the credit for this statistic. Upon reading into it further, the Brits are actually more responsible than anyone. On third thought, the solutions that were not applied seems like the right thing not to do. We cannot simply eradicate the peasants' source of income and expect them to love us for it.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:17 am

I think the troops have a hard enough time with the Taliban than worrying about poppy crops. But it does seem strange that nothing has been done before now. Why haven't the peasant farmers been given other crops to grow? Probably because they make the most money from selling their poppy crops to Pakistan!
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby meadow » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:21 am

what else are they supposed to do for money and caring for their families? it's not like we went over there and creating real farming jobs and the ability to have a good life for those people.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to In The News