Glasgow Airport

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Glasgow Airport

Postby Sandra » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:08 am

Two people have been arrested after a burning Jeep was driven through the terminal building at Glasgow airport in a terror attack.

Holidaymakers reported hearing a series of loud "bangs" and saw two men - one of whom was on fire - emerge from the vehicle.

The man on fire was knocked down by a member of the public before he was arrested by police.

There are reports of several injuries. The man on fire was taken to Royal Alexandra Hospital in Glasgow. His accomplice is at nearby Govan police station.

It came as Scotland's third Parliament was formally inaugurated by the Queen. The foiled bomb attacks in London came a day after Gordon Brown became PM.

This is a bit too close to home for me

http://news.sky.com/skynews/home :shock:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 am

where are you , Sandra?

Try not to worry... you will be okay.....

Sadly, I am suspecting our administration is behind these things...
isn't that dreadful?
That is just how horrible I feel that they are...

and frankly, I just do not know how far they might go.....
but youwill be safe, I am sure....
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Sandra » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:53 am

solana wrote:where are you , Sandra?

Try not to worry... you will be okay.....

Sadly, I am suspecting our administration is behind these things...
isn't that dreadful?
That is just how horrible I feel that they are...

and frankly, I just do not know how far they might go.....
but youwill be safe, I am sure....

Hi solana, I live about 40 miles from the airport. I'm sure I'll be fine. My sister, bil and my niece fly out to Turkey tomorrow at the same time this happened today, thankgod it wasn't today as she would of been in the airport, I can only shudder to think the effect this would of had on her. This is very frightening for Scotland, we don't get alot of terror threats here. Not good, not good at all.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:12 pm

it is an ugly world we are living in right now.....
and it makes me ill to think about it most times...

but you know what? it has been ugly before....and healed..

I have hope.

I will say a prayer and send energy for your family and their safety...

I know how unsettling this sort of thing is..
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Sandra » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:14 pm

solana wrote:it is an ugly world we are living in right now.....
and it makes me ill to think about it most times...

but you know what? it has been ugly before....and healed..

I have hope.

I will say a prayer and send energy for your family and their safety...

I know how unsettling this sort of thing is..

Thankyou solana :D

AJRC said on bea's thread:It would seem someone wants the terror alert status high for a reason. They're saying that al Qaeda are sending a message to Brown.

This frightens the sh*t out of me, what have they got planned, no one knows. I just don't laugh at these sort of things, I take them very seriously. As I said before, too close to home this time :(
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Kia ora Sandra

This frightens the sh*t out of me,

Exactly the result anticipated
A frightned people are easier to manipulate as they no longer think straight

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:17 pm

i saw that and immediately thought of you and yours, Sandra. glad to know all have been accounted for and are alright.

it didn't look too bad to me on the news. i mean, horrifying and shocking but it doesn't look to have done any real damage except mentally to your country!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:54 am

meadow wrote:i saw that and immediately thought of you and yours, Sandra. glad to know all have been accounted for and are alright.

it didn't look too bad to me on the news. i mean, horrifying and shocking but it doesn't look to have done any real damage except mentally to your country!

thanks meadow :) I know what you mean about it not looking too bad, but it's bad enough for me. I've always been terrified of terrorism, I know I shouldn't, makes a person look weak but it's just the way I am. I'll worry about friends and family (well more than usual) I wish my sis wasn't going on holiday, but she won't let something like this put her off.

Obviously Glasgow and London are linked and now our country is on highest alert as they don't know if or when anything else will happen.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:12 am

What gladdens me is that on the news this morning were images of holiday makers streaming into and out of Glasgow airport. Terrorism by it's very nature is frightening, but if we don't show it then the terrorists have lost.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:41 am

images of holiday makers streaming into and out of Glasgow airport. Terrorism by it's very nature is frightening, but if we don't show it then the terrorists have lost.

I so agree...... Good on the Scottish people...!!!!!!

The americans bought into it all ... they let them scare the hell out of the whole country, pretty much.
It made and makes me sick..
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby solana » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:45 am

I was "Stumbling" yesterday... and came across this......reminded me of GWB and his tactics of fear that he has been shoving at us for the last 6 years..

.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby haysi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:39 am

There is one thing that you can say for the 'Great British Public' and that is that we will not lie down to terrorist attacks. Glasgow Airport and London will be chock a block today, yes people may 'moan' at suffering delays or of having their bags scanned etc but at the end of the day we will still go about our business, and holidays etc.

Our younger sis will most probably be delayed today at the airport before she flys with her family to Turkey - but I am sure she will take plenty of stuff to occupy them! Or hit the bar :lol:
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby mdkilmer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:21 am

I'm rather curious about how many Americans "bought into it" and are now cowering in their fallout shelters or whatever. I, for one, don't know anybody who's afraid of terrorists-- concerned, yes, but not afraid.

But I still think that we should elect Clint Eastwood as our next President. :D
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:27 am

I think fall out shelters is taking what solana said way over to the extreme. But i for one know of Americans who are afraid of terrorists to the point of paranoia. But as i said that is what in essence terrorism is, violent acts to bring about terror. Saying people are afraid of terrorists isn't a slight on a nation, it's just a fact.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:36 am

Well the airport is running as normal, my sisters flight has approx 4 hours delay on it. She couldn't get into the terminal building for over an hour, had to stand outside in the pouring rain, she texted, "I'm like a drowned rat, but the atmosphere is good, everyone is smiling and looking forward to their holidays".
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby emanresu » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:04 am

On the whole, I guess the U.S. does present the image of, 'buying into it.' The sad fact is that it's not the terrorists who do the most selling, it's the media. The best example I can cite is what the TV stations constantly do. They give you a piece of information (ie, killer at large, food poisoning scare, rapist escapes) several hours before the news comes on, delivering just enough information to create the impression that every viewer, no matter where they are, is in immediate and dire peril, but then when the story comes out, it proves to affect only a very small part of the audience. Terror didn't really start a few years ago; the newscasters have been using it to good effect for decades.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:27 am

That's great Sandra, hope she really enjoys her holiday.

emanresu, i totally agree with you. Fear is big business for the media, the UK has had 25 years of terrorism, 25 years to know that the media loves to hype up the acts of terror to the extreme. As you say other bits of information are blown all out of proportion as well, take the bird flu for example. If the British media was to be believed then bird flu was going to be the new Bubonic Plague and millions would die. All in all i think a couple of swans and a few ducks caught it and that was it.

But ultimately there's no shame in being afraid of terrorism, you'd be a fool not to be a little afraid. But it's not a slight on your nation to say Americans are afraid of terrorism, Sandra says she's afraid, i don't see that as a slight on the UK. I just see it as being honest and true.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:11 pm

AJRC_CS wrote: Sandra says she's afraid, i don't see that as a slight on the UK. I just see it as being honest and true.

Me being afraid is me being honest. This is our first attack since Locherbie but it won't deter the Scottish people, I won't let terrorism win but it does frighten the sh*t out of me and I'm not embarressed to say so.

I have family who live in London, I have family who live in Spain, I've got a sister who works in a Goverment building, I've got a sister who's flying out to Turkey tonight..... would someone please hand me the valium :shock:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:09 pm

On the whole, I guess the U.S. does present the image of, 'buying into it.' The sad fact is that it's not the terrorists who do the most selling, it's the media.

I agree.. the media where everything is breaking news! So much sensationalism

the media .. driven by the government...and their dishonesty ...and all the rest of their sh*t

Cheny, Bush ,Rove.....all of them

Sandra .. I am glad to hear that your sister went ahead with her trip and that it wasn't too bad..

No.. there is no shame in being afraid AJRC... the shame lies in the government that is trying to perpetuate an atmosphere of fear in order to take away the rights of the people... THAT is shameful.......

.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Return to In The News