Appalling news in northern Indiana...

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Appalling news in northern Indiana...

Postby brandtrn » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:51 am

Perhaps the most appalling thing, for me, about the following article is the fact that it happened to someone I knew -- a co-worker! The child in question is the daughter of one of our monitor techs on the cardiac unit in our hospital. I'm shocked and saddened at the ordeal that she and her daughter are facing, not only during her daughter's current medical stay, but also during the ongoing counseling that both of them will surely need to help them get through this...

:(

Three Year Old Stabbed, Stepfather Arrested

A three year old girl is recovering from severe stab wounds.

Her stepfather, 27-year-old David Erickson, was arrested late Thursday night on preliminary attempted murder charges.

A probable cause filed Friday in Elkhart county shows that 27-year-old David Erickson was taking care of his 3-year old step-daughter at their Elkhart apartment.

Her mother came home late Wednesday night to find her daughter alone and seriously injured.

Elkhart police spent the day searching for Erickson before finally arresting him Thursday night.

Police say the little girl was stabbed several times in the stomach.

She was taken to the hospital where she is in critical condition.

“I think from what I've heard signs point to progress so we are all hopeful that she makes a full recovery,” says Elkhart County prosecutor Curtis Hill.

Erickson's bond is set at $500,000.

The prosecutor's office says attempted murder charges could be filed against Erickson as early as next week.

http://www.wndu.com/news/headlines/8362377.html

Last edited by brandtrn on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:01 pm

i reads that earlier and just about fell off my chair! how can anyone so completely lose his mind?

anything we can do?

and what's the prognosis on the tot?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby brandtrn » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Actually the news is good (if there can be such a thing as "good" news in relation to this), but it appears that they're thinking of transferring the little one to the regular pediatric unit in a couple of days. It's amazing that she lived through surgery -- the bastard all but eviscerated the poor child...
"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:23 pm

phew.

luckily she's so young that i imagine her body will mend itself to a great deal.

i'm not much of a prayer person, but i've got my candle burning for her.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to In The News