Never go to an Iraqi football match

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Never go to an Iraqi football match

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:35 am

Now i like my football, and like most fans i over indulge if and when my team wins. But i draw the line at bringing firearms to the game and firing them indiscriminately to celebrate. I mean the team they beat was Vietnam and two people have died in the "celebration." They will next play the winner of the Iran-South Korea quarter-final. Can you imagine the bloodshed at the "celebration" of an Iraq vs Iran match. Doesn't bare thinking about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 910411.stm
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby van » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Kia ora Andy

But then again I have seen the aftermath of British Football Hooligans, and that certainly will not encourage me to go to a football game which involves Great Britain :lol:

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:17 pm

The best solution to all this is just stick to real football: AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!! :biggrin:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:37 pm

panem et circenses
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:26 pm

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:34 am

Kia ora Bedford

The best solution to all this is just stick to real football: AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!! Mr. Green

You poor deluded soul, football is played predominantly with the feet, the other version is Rugby
If American Football is "real football", why is it played almost solely in America?
I also seem to recall the odd times I have watched it, more time is taken up with "hoopla" and "razzamataz" then the actual game
Hardly what I would "real football"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 pm

Thought i might be, pilvikki. Guns at any sporting event is a recipe for disaster.

Van i agree, football violence in the 70's and 80's got out of hand in the UK. Thankfully the minority that caused the trouble have been put on a register that bans them from every football ground in the UK and Europe. Their photos and finger prints are given to every European police agency and if they're caught trying to enter any ground they are arrested and depending on who and where they are a custodial sentence and/or a heavy fine is given out. This has made for a much better atmosphere at football matches, where even when my son was only young i still felt safe enough to take him to the hollowed ground that is St James' Park.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:57 pm

i have a funny feeling that those football houligans were not that much interested in the sport itself...

btw. did you see "eurotrip"...?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Bedford » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:12 pm

van wrote:Kia ora Bedford

The best solution to all this is just stick to real football: AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!! Mr. Green

If American Football is "real football", why is it played almost solely in America?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill

Ore Ida Van.

Because the rest of the world is backward.

Aromatics
Salomi
Bedford
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 pm

i'd much rather watch soccer or "the footie" any day than supposed American football. i like to watch a sport with some ACTION for longer than 30 seconds at a time. i also used to go watch amateur rugby in Austin at Zilker Park on weekends. that was fun! i love it when they end up breaking something or knocking teeth out.

that's what hockey USED to be before they came out with all those pussy rules about checking into the glass and fighting. stupid strike. i'm still pissed, yes.

now that we have Becks over here...i'm all excited to jump on the footie bandwagon. yeah, i know it's American soccer but hey...we all gotta start somewhere!

i love the fact that the World Cup really is the WORLD. every single continent competes and really any country has a shot at winning. when i lived in California i remember every car was emblazoned to support Brazil. it was CRAZY!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to In The News