Faith-based toys to hit US stores

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:56 am

me too, AJ ~
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 am

I think it's another tactic used to make money. I don't believe promotion of religion is the intension. Girls in particular cares about playing with dolls hair more than who the dolls portrays. For the girls sakes, I hope these dolls have some 'real' hair. :tongue:

pilvikki wrote:i wonder what happens when moses ends up legless, jesus has lipstick on and goliath is wearing suzie's dress...?
:lmao1:
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby sassie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:48 pm

Dont let it keep you up at night .. just dont buy them...
sassie
Helpless

Postby meadow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:05 pm

and the point of discussing that would then be? :confused: it's not about not buying them...it's about why are they being produced in the first place and for who? not everyone, certainly, will find that important but some of us do and want to discuss it here.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Flawless » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 pm

My kids, as should any kids, will be able to make their own decision when it comes to religion. But when they are kids, and I mean from birth to about 14 or so (whenever I decide they can stay home by themselves), they will be going to church with Karin and I every Sunday. Me and Karin will be teaching them about Christianity and what it's about while giving them the chance to look at other religions. Meadow, even though my Mom is a Christian I was practically raised in an Athiest household seeing as she never went to church and never tried teaching me about God or Jesus or anything. I made the choice to follow Christ and Christianity myself.

Basically, Meadow, if you don't want your kids getting these toys than don't buy them for them. Remember, Wal-mart supports gays. But also, how can you not expect this, Sam Walton was a devout Christian.
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Flawless: thank you for taking the time to answer my question. what if your child decides to become a Muslim? or a Buddhist? Hindu? big ol' Witch like me? at say...16. they've studied other faiths, gone to your church and listened to your doctrine and rules. and still, in the end...made a choice to follow another faith.

how big of an issue would that really be for you? i suspect that you would have a much, much bigger issue with it than you'd like to admit. i know you are hardcore for your faith and i know [from what i've read about what you've told] your new wife agrees with that.

i've never seen anything about Wal-Mart supporting anyone but their own pocketbooks, agenda and the ability to cash in on cheap labor in Third World countries. i've never read anything where they support gays or anything in the LGBT community. being a devout Christian, i can see why he and his money grubbing family wouldn't support them. i mean, being gay is against the Bible, right?
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Flawless » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:26 pm

The issue would honestly come from Karin more than it would me. I've seen families where the kids have decided to go towards Atheism or Buddhism or what have you and I refuse to do what some of the parents have done to their kids. Karin went through a period when she was dabbling in a bit of everything (heck, until recently she was still doing numerology.) and her parents treated her absolutely horrible. Currently though I can't see myself doing any of that stuff. Love is unconditional and I just can't see myself kicking my kids out of the house for doing what they believe in (although I will not allow them to do witchcraft or bring Buddhas or anything like that under my roof.). They will know I disapprove but I would still love them just the same.

About the Walmart thing, they donate alot of money to GLBT stuff just to keep them off their backs. Wal-mart is also no longer a family owned company so they basically do whatever they want. Being Gay is a sin just like any other in the Bible.

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:40 pm

so you are going to leave it up to your wife? and basically you wouldn't support their decision as long as living in your house by preventing them to have items you feel represent something against your specific beliefs. so this tells me while on the surface you would act like you are okay, deep down you wouldn't. i'm not saying you would be mean or hateful or unsupportive in THAT way. but it sounds like you wouldn't really ever accept any decision apart from Christianity.

i'm still not sure how numerology is against the Bible but i'm going to let that argument rest. i don't have the energy for that mountain tackling. plus, my books are packed away.

oh, you mean the ones like killing innocent people? like in wars? and genocides? and for money, land and women? the sins like coveting things that your neighbor owns? you know those fancy cars, jobs, houses and material objects? i don't see anything about being gay in those Ten Commandments. but i see a whole lot of Christians not only doing the things i just wrote but wholeheartedly supporting them. our President in particular.

Wal-Mart sadly has been allowed by our government and our media to be put in the position they are in now. they definitely don't have anyone's best interests in mind except for making billions of dollars off the backs of the poverty stricken and working poor. i won't step foot in one nor support them in any way, shape or form.
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Flawless » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:04 pm

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall HAVE THEIR PART in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Rev. 21:8). Basically, all who are sinful shall be thrown into the lake of fire.

Also Read Leviticus. Those are just a few of the many sins listed in the Bible. Also, no I wouldn't leave it up to Karin. What I meant was, Karin would have more of a problem with it than I would I think. I wouldn't support my kids decision if they decided to follow something but Christianity but I wouldn't say, "Get out of my house, absolutely not." Yes I would have a problem with it period if they did decide to go to another religion. But I wouldn't treat them like trash. Also, it's my house, I mean, if somebody who was living at your place tried to make it all christiany you wouldn't allow it either would you?

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby sassie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 pm

I think everyone has a right to believe in God or not anyway they wish without others passing judgement .. or trying to change them ..

And I don't think that a little action figure will convert anyone to change there religion..

To much energy on something so insignificant.. Just my opinion... :confused:
sassie
Helpless

Postby meadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:06 pm

Flawless: no offense but that is a sad, sad way to raise children in my opinion. i live with my dad, i respect the fact it's "his house" but i live here too and i definitely contribute. i think demanding your kids follow in your footsteps is sad and ultimately will backfire big time in your face. what happens when one comes to you and says they are gay? i'm going to assume you won't treat them like a jerk but i'm sure you wouldn't be okay with it at all. and that you would probably make sure to quote plenty of Jesus speak back at them every chance you got.

sorry, then every single person on the face of the entire planet is going to Hell, period. there is no way to avoid "sinning" and even your belief in the precious blood of Jesus doesn't seem to work much better. i'm glad i'm not a Christian because i can literally find NOTHING of value in it. it stole many religious beliefs from other cultures and usurped them for their own personal gain, including monetary and material. they reformulated holidays to suit their own purposes of having the "pagans" convert so as to help make even more money off them. and don't give me that crap line about it being the Catholic Church cause honey, where do you think you all came from? the Eastern Orthodox tradition? *LOL*

i think that people should definitely my their own f'ing business especially concerning religion. i think every child should have their own ability to choose what's best for them. i also don't believe in ramming Christianity down anyone's throat, period. this includes missionary work and "testifying" to the unsaved. i don't need saving, i'm not drowning. *L*

i just hope your children end up being good little girls and boys who don't decide to stray from the path you've chosen for them. it's totally sad in my opinion and there are sadly more of people like you out there doing that to children than people who would rather let their children decide for themselves how and what's imporant and when. i hope they don't want to pursue anything because i can't imagine the words you'd have to come up with out of your Bible to justify how wrong their choices are!
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby googie egg » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:20 pm

These action figures will make great butt plugs. I can hardly wait until they are on market.
Non faciunt meliorem equum aurei freni - Seneca
googie egg
Helpless

Postby sassie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:31 pm

:roll:
sassie
Helpless

Postby Flawless » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:39 pm

I'm not forcing them to believe anything. My best friend is gay actually. Also, every parent raises their kid to do and believe what's right in their eyes. You're parents are atheist so they raised you to be atheist but gave you the option to pursue other religions just like Karin and I will raise our kids Christian but give them the option to do anything and follow anything that they like.

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby solana » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:08 am

Flawless said

My kids, as should any kids, will be able to make their own decision when it comes to religion. But when they are kids, and I mean from birth to about 14 or so (whenever I decide they can stay home by themselves), they will be going to church with Karin and I every Sunday

That is a perfectly reasonable way to raise the children. Allowing them to make their own decision's after exposure to the faith of the parents and
the ability to research and question. Good parenting...
Sounds like good parenting to me...

Love is unconditional and I just can't see myself kicking my kids out of the house for doing what they believe in

again, reasonable.

Parenting is a balance... it is always a balance if you want to raise kids that are outspoken, intelligent, and confident ...
I am happy to say that I parented successfully.... and my kids have bot roots and wings...

Flawless has every right to raise his children withing his belies... and allow questioning..
His kids will be able to follow their own hearts when they are adults...
Parenting is the hardest job anyone can ever do. It requires more common sense ,
more love, and more stamina that some people have. A person has to be selfless to be a good parent.

These are qualities that not everyone has, and not everyone should be a parent. There are some who
certainly should not be......

just look around you

kudos ,Flawless.. you are young, but seem to have your priorities straight

Everyone is entitled to their own religious beliefs and opinions....
Why is that hard for some to accept?
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 am

In my experience, raising kids Christian from an early age gives them no other option but to become Christian.

The school my son goes to is not particularly religious, it's just a good private school. But some of the parents are Christian and don't approve of their kids hanging around with Lewis. Atheism is catching you know! Some of the parents ask why i never taught him about God, i say i did, i taught him about all of the God's. There is usually a puzzled look on their faces then they say "well that's the problem then, because there is only one God."

I've never met a more narrow minded and intolerant group of people than those Christian parents. I'm not saying all Christian parents are like that, i'm sure they're not. But in my experience they are!

I also laugh when people say things like "you raised your kid atheist, there is no difference raising my kid Christian." Sorry but there is a huge f*cking difference. Atheism is not, i repeat NOT, a religion. Raising a child in a atheist household means you raise your child to learn about all religions, you let them choose their own path from the word go. If they choose a religion, then you're happy for them and encourage them. Raising a child in a Christian household means you ram one religion and one God down the child's throat, you only give them a choice after they've had many years of indoctrination, and if they were to ever choose another religion or decide not to believe you'd not only try to discourage them but be incredibly unhappy and disappointed in them.

I know what kind of household i'd rather grow up in.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:28 am

I think that by saying that raising a child in a christian household gives them no option
than to be christian...

Christianity is a choice.... no matter what, and implying that those raised in a christian home are somehow less able to make choices as
adults is unfair and in my opinion untrue. If the adult chooses to remain a christian, so be it.. it is their right. If they choose to believe in nothing.. so be it..
but either way it is their choice.

A christian upbringing does not make a person less able to make personal choices.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Flawless » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:33 am

AJRC: First off, you are totally right. That's why when I went to enroll to private school my sophmore year I just threw the admissions papers in the face of the admissions guy. A big reason why Christians send their children to a private school is because they're afraid of their little babies being exposed to the outside world. I plan on having my kids in a Christian school so they get a good foundation to face the real world with.

Meadow: I'm going to be firm, only if you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior then you're sins are redeemed and you aren't one of those people who will spend eternity in the lake of fire.

Everyone else: I've seen it go both ways in the end. I've seen kids choose to be atheist or get into wicca and what have you. I've seen kids go on to be Christians. From what I've seen, if the parent gives their kid no choice but Christianity than they usual go and follow something else. Also, I'm not the typical Christian. If they went for another religion I wouldn't be happy with it but I wouldn't have a problem with it either I just wouldn't have them bring in their religious stuff under my roof and that's not because of me being a crappy parent who won't let their kids practice witchcraft it's just because of my beliefs.

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:44 am

The thing i was trying to get across is not that Christians can't make choices. My point was that children indoctrinated from a very early age only know one religion and one God. They may be taught about other religions, but they know from their parents that only the Christian religion is the true religion. Kids believe everything their parents tell them, if from a very early age you're told that God exists then that child will believe God exists, it has no choice at that age. That's the point i was trying to make, not that teenage Christians don't have the ability to choose, it's that children don't!

The Christian and Catholic churches know this. I went to an all boys Catholic school when i was young, i saw first hand the indoctrination tactics they use on small children. To me it's rather disgusting, it's like a form of brainwashing for kids.

Yes, these kids can grow up and choose not to believe. But when you've been indoctrinated from such an early age to believe that God is real, then people find it hard to question their faith when older. They find it hard to make a choice because all they've known is Christianity.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Flawless » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:02 am

Yet many still do, AJRC. Heck, I've seen a man who was in the ministry for 20 years, who served and was best friends with one of the Pastors of one of those super churches out there in Colorado Springs give up Christianity and turn Atheist. Practically every Christian questions their faith at one point or another. Some choose to leave it, some don't.

Flawless
Hero Of The Day

PreviousNext

Return to In The News