Faith-based toys to hit US stores

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Faith-based toys to hit US stores

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:25 am

Just read about these new kids toys hitting the Wal-Mart stores in the US. Action faith-based toys like Jesus, Moses and Goliath. Now, i don't know about you but i think this is just another ploy by the church to ram Christianity down our children's throats. I think crap like this should be kept away from children, until they are of an age where they can decide for themselves what to believe. I mean is the Christian church so desperate it has to try and indoctrinate our kids with this junk. What next, a pop-up Bible?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6916287.stm
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:46 am

Well...

I have to disagree.

I am not a member of any organized religion...

Faith / religion is an integral part of many families.. and these toys would be something
their children might enjoy. If kids who are not raised in any faith see them and want them... well..
why not?

It might pique their interest in the bible. ... it might not...

To make an informed decision kids need to hear all sides both pro and con.
I honestly do not think it is going to be the issue you foresee.

Let me make it clear, as well....
that I do not see the Bible as the bit of unsullied word of God that many do...

I think it is just as filled with wishful thinking and propaganda as any political treatise...
It has been translated multiple times. edited multiple times
and for that matter who wrot eit anyway?

But I would want all the information available before making a decision...
My kids were started out as Catholics.. as was I .. I allowed it to happen because of their fathers
interest in the church... he was at one point in a seminary.....

But starting at a very young age, whenever they asked questions or showed an interest I discussed religion and spirituality with them..
and as world religions and spirituality is an interest of mine... I always had plenty of reading material...

They have made their own choices.. or are still making them.. which is, as it should be...
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby emanresu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 am

I agree, Solana. I think it's just a marketer trying to fill an existing niche. The people who buy the toys are probably going to be the same ones who have indoctrinated their children in christianity anyway so I don't see any massive misleading of the innocent here. If they're advertised to the point where non-christian children begin begging for them, then I believe parental response is more than adequate to preserve the emotions of their gullible offspring. A true, 'shoving down the throat' would be if they passed them out free in schools and on playgrounds and I just don't see that happening.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby meadow » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:34 am

oh great, another example of the Mighty Wal-Mart being able to ram religious crap down the mass consumerism of America. just what this country needs....more religious, clueless people shopping for toys at Wal-Mart.

i'm sure it will be big hit amongst the conservative, right wing, Christian shoppers of the all powerful shrine to consumerism.

let's hope those children don't end up as indoctrinated as their parents and wake up and get a damn clue.

*shakes head*
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby brandtrn » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:03 pm

Interesting...but hardly surprising. And, undoubtedly, it'll take off big time with the Bible-thumping, right-wing neocons who love to shop at Wal-of China-Mart. Although what kind of "religious" people would bother to spend their money at a place which promotes sweatshop labor and abominable working conditions escapes me completely...I avoid that place like the plague, simply because their tactics go against almost every single principle I hold dear.
"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Re: Faith-based toys to hit US stores

Postby Flawless » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:07 pm

AJRC_CS wrote:Now, i don't know about you but i think this is just another ploy by the church to ram Christianity down our children's throats. I think crap like this should be kept away from children, until they are of an age where they can decide for themselves what to believe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6916287.stm

So, basically, raise them as Atheists and then see if they want to be Christians? Great idea, AJ. Really makes sense.... :neutral:
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby meadow » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:26 pm

why not???? what's wrong with that? your specific and personal beliefs aside...what is so wrong about teaching kids a moral and ethical "belief" system that isn't based on religious doctrine?

i never once went to church with my parents. i was definitely taught right from wrong and my parents were [and my dad still IS] two of the most ethical people i've ever known. certainly more than most of the so-called "Christians" i've met and had to interact with!

my parents didn't do guilt. when you misbehaved there was specific consequences plainly laid out and then if necessary, implemented. if i lied to my mom about where i was going to be and she found out? guess what, it wasn't because of a fear of God it was a fear of HER. and that's not such a bad thing or a bad way to live your life.

what's so awful about choosing to not raise your children mired in religious dogma?

next, you'll say that letting an older child not explore other belief systems, religious denominations and religions is bad as well!!! we won't go into actually letting them experience and really LEARN about others either.

in spite of what the assumptions of me might be...i turned out pretty fricking rad. i had a GREAT childhood and my parents loved me and showed that to me every single day. my sister and i had both parents, together, until the day my mother died. and just because my momma didn't force me to Jesus and all that rigamarole doesn't mean i didn't turn out AWESOME, smart, interesting and have an ability to not let religious bullsh** and dogma rule my life!!!!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:22 pm

i wonder what happens when moses ends up legless, jesus has lipstick on and goliath is wearing suzie's dress...?

walmart?

what a sin!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:31 pm

:lmao1: @ Pilvikki's comment. that is too true and hilarious! love it!
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby googie egg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:56 pm

I hope they add in a couple of female role models - maybe a Mary-Magdalene, as every young person needs a whore role model. Besides, who else will the "boy" charagcters kiss? We don't want to encourage a relationshipe between David and Goliath. An heavens forbid if Jesus and Moses had to share a toy box, it would be like they were sleeping together.
Non faciunt meliorem equum aurei freni - Seneca
googie egg
Helpless

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:29 pm

Raising children without giving them the opportunity to lean about Christianity, Judaism, Wicca, Atheism.Buddism..and any form of spiritual journey that might interest them is ridiculous. What possible reason could there be for keeping them in the dark about something that is so much a part of our society ?
Whether one approves of it or not, religion has a huge influence in our society. It is like not teaching them history, because we all know that history is
only as true as the perspective of the historian.

Kids need to be exposed to many things, as much as possible... in order for them to grow into well rounded adults .

imho, of course
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Bedford » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:34 pm

AJ and meadow have no problems with left-wingers foisting their kook religion of left-wing lunacy on the rest of us, and yet they whine if figures of Biblical characters are offered for sell. Sounds to me liek they need to get over themselves.

Christianity is being persecuted in the United States by people like the ACLU; its long time Christians fight back.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:43 pm

let me reiterate...

I do not consider myself a christian..

I am just being practical.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:40 pm

ah, so bedford, you're looking fw to an civil war based on religion?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Bedford » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:13 pm

WHat I am saying is that all that is required is turning the other cheek; not bending down and grabbing the ankles and have one's keister and bollocks become perfect targets, which is what Christianity has become.

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:17 pm

Solana, i'm not saying children shouldn't be given the opportunity to lean about Christianity, i'm all for learning about all religions. But these toys are going too far, they are aimed at children who haven't made up their minds about religion yet, and toys like these force the issue.

Both my parents are Christian, but they had the good sense to allow me to develop and mature enough before they started telling me about their faith. When i thought it was a load of crap, they didn't force their religion on me, they allowed me to choose my own path. This is exactly what i've done with my son. If he'd chosen to be religious then that would have been fine, i didn't force my non belief on him and i told him all about the worlds religions when he was young. He made his own conscience decision not to believe, and that's the way it should be. Too often people are indoctrinated in a religion without any say in it themselves, they just think it's ok to be taught to believe in God from the day they were born.

I would be interested in seeing the responses from certain people here if an Allah or Muhammad toy were put on the shelves of Wal-Mart.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:16 pm

maybe they'd be accepted just fine, if they too, like these two "action" figures are strangling each other.

this is called wholesome?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Bedford » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:13 am

An Allah or Muhammed figure could only be sold in the firework stores. :teach:

:biggrin:

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:36 am

But these toys are going too far, they are aimed at children who haven't made up their minds about religion yet, and toys like these force the issue.

I almost never disagree with you AJ..... but I guess that here I do.

I do not believe that these toys will have the impact you fear..
and I would feel the same about Allah or Mohamed toys

I respect your opinion... but disagree with it.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby AJRC_CS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:51 am

No problem, Solana. It would be a boring world if everyone agreed with everyone else. I honestly hope you're right about these toys and it's just me having a knee-jerk reaction to them.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Next

Return to In The News