Minneapolis Bridge collapse

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Minneapolis Bridge collapse

Postby Bedford » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:03 am

Wow, just wow.

Last I heard, only four were dead. When I first heard the news, I thought that they'd be extremely lucky if there were no dead. If just 4 are dead, they are still lucky it was not more. But they may have to dredge the river, and that toll could already climb real fast.

When I crossed the Kennedy bridge last night for the first time, I could not help but think what that would be like. In Louisville it would be an extreme disaster for years, as we've needed two additional bridges for years, and if we lost one of the three we have for, it would totally ruin the economy. Heck, its bad enough when they temporarily close off the Clark bridge for Thunder.

Of course, I have already seen on the net where people blame Bush for this. By now, that does not surprise me. I wouldn't be surprised if some people we have here on BF blame Bush for this. MY only surprise is that I haven't seen this collapse blamed on global warming.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Bedford » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:10 am

Wikipedia entry on the bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Miss ... ver_bridge

I know a lot of people don't trust Wikipedia, but anything high profile tends to have a lot of people making sure the integrity of the page lasts.
Last edited by Bedford on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:15 pm

in Austin to get from one side of the city to the other you have to take a bridge. there are no other options!!! so if a bridge collapsed it would cripple that city big time. you can't avoid going across a bridge several times a day. i finally conquered my fear of bridges living in Austin. i didn't have a choice because i needed to be able to drive to work every day!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby sassie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:46 pm

My payers are with all the people affected.. What a terable tragedy...
sassie
Helpless

Postby haysi » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:25 am

I heard of this earlier this week - what a tragic event that no one using that bridge on that day would have known about. :(
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to In The News