Pastor asks followers to pray for his critics to die

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Pastor asks followers to pray for his critics to die

Postby Yogi » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:58 am

Here is one reason I am turned off by Bible-thumping good Christians. The scary part about all this is that there is a significant section of our country known a The Bible Belt whose denizens see nothing wrong with the application of the Bible for personal gain. This story reminds of of a similar one where the president commented on hearing similar words from God after the 9/11 disaster. Now that I think about it, he too is from that Bible-belt country.

Wiley S. Drake, a Buena Park pastor and a former national leader of the Southern Baptist Convention, called on his followers to pray for the deaths of two leaders of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

The request was in response to the liberal group's urging the IRS on Tuesday to investigate Drake's church's nonprofit status because Drake endorsed former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee for president on church letterhead and during a church-affiliated Internet radio show.

Drake said Wednesday he was "simply doing what God told me to do" by targeting Americans United officials Joe Conn and Jeremy Leaming, whom he calls the "enemies of God."

"God says to pray imprecatory prayer against people who attack God's church," he said. "The Bible says that if anybody attacks God's people, David said this is what will happen to them. . . . Children will become orphans and wives will become widows."

Imprecatory prayers are alternately defined as praying for someone's misfortune, or an appeal to God for justice.

"Let his days be few; and let another take his office," the prayer reads. "Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow."

Conn said he was "startled" at Drake's reaction to the complaint against Drake's First Southern Baptist Church of Buena Park.

"We expected him to try to defend his actions," Conn said.

"Instead he goes on spiritual blitzkrieg against us, praying for our destruction. He completely glossed over the fact that his actions are clearly a violation of federal tax law."

Drake is a long-time Orange County evangelical preacher who frequently captures the spotlight.

In the 1990s, he protested "Gay Day" at Disneyland and a 2 Live Crew concert as obscene. He also fought Buena Park city officials who tried to stop him from sheltering homeless people on church grounds.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printeditio ... &cset=true
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby chicklin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:14 am

And people like him consider themselves to be good christians??? :shock:

I don't go in a church from one year to the next - except for funerals, but I would consider myself to be a better person than this man.......I don't wish harm on anyone.....even people I have reason to hate........well, maybe one person......

But it just goes to show - you can interpret anything - even what the bible says - in whatever way you wish....and make it justify any actions you feel compelled to commit.

This man is a disgrace.

You know what they say...what goes around, comes around. He should watch out!!
Karma will always come back and get you so be nice to everyone
chicklin
Trapped Under Ice

Postby meadow » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:04 pm

gee, what a surprise. Christians calling for the deaths of enemies.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby bermbits » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:10 pm

No surprise - we have republicans calling for the death of enemies.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Flawless » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:29 pm

On behalf of Christianity I apologize for this "Pastor's" actions. Please don't believe that all Christians are like this. He represents an extremely small (less than 1%) of the Christian population. Unfortunately they get the most media coverage.
[ GRAPHIC REMOVED by administrator ]

I am now dubbed the King of Hotness by Haysi

I am also the resident Cabana boy.
Flawless
Hero Of The Day

Postby Yogi » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 pm

You are probably right that he personally represents a fringe group. My concern is not so much what he advocates here as how he came to think it's OK to do it. I've met a few "Bible Belt" Christians over the years and the Baptists among them, at least, seem to think racism, treating women as inferiors, and intolerance for anybody different than themselves is perfectly moral. They freely cite Bible text to prove their points. I've not met them all, of course, but I am guessing this way of thinking is inbred and wide spread. It scares me.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby ohlia » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:07 pm

He's doing what God told him to do ... just like when God told Oral Roberts to beg for money to build a hospital. :lol: They are all big jokers ... Jim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts. They are all the same gluttonous characters. Swaggart slept with prostitutes, Robertson wants to assassinate people, and Baker had an affair.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 pm

How do we even know the story is legit? How do we know it's nto taken out of context?
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby AJRC_CS » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:33 pm

There are a lot of Christians out there who have no idea of what being a Christian really means. I've witnessed so called Christians on forums for well over 10 years, as Yogi states a lot see nothing wrong with religious/racial bigotry, sexism and homophobia. Among other vices.

I think there are a lot of people out there who like to call themselves Christians but who are in reality very evil, such as this Wiley S. Drake.

It would be really ironic if because of his evilness, when Drake dies he ends up in hell (whether hell actually exists is debatable). :devil:
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby googie egg » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Flawless wrote:On behalf of Christianity I apologize for this "Pastor's" actions. Please don't believe that all Christians are like this. He represents an extremely small (less than 1%) of the Christian population. Unfortunately they get the most media coverage.

Yeah, the same thing about muslims and Al Queda.

PErhaps the President should just declare war on extremist christians.... silly me, that would cut into his vote base.
Non faciunt meliorem equum aurei freni - Seneca
googie egg
Helpless

Return to In The News