Fuk King Kwok et. al.

This forum is for the discussion of a random collection of topics that do not fit elsewhere on our boards. Question and answer style posts are appropiate here.

Fuk King Kwok et. al.

Postby Yogi » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:29 pm

"CHICAGO (UPI) -- A Chinese immigrant from Hong Kong has legally changed his name to Andy Kwok because everyone laughed saying his real name -- Fuk King Kwok. "

SOURCE: http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst ... nge16.html

Is your given name an embarassment to you? Did you change it or consider doing so?
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Nathaniel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:11 pm

The only problem I have with my name... It's Beate, by the way... Is that it is actually the same as a brand of potatoes... And that it can be mistaken for Bente or Bjarte, the latter is a male name... So i've considered changing it to Beatrice...
"Homophobia - the irrational fear that homosexuals will move in and rearrange your furniture against your will."
Nathaniel
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:18 pm

just shorten it to bea....?

mine... endless amusement, i even get gov mail addressed to marijuana. it's marjaana, but of course most people would pronounce it with a soft j, not the intended mar-yah-na.

change it? no way.

i did work with a guy whose first name was dong and i refused to bellow DONG! across the bay, so i called him by his last name, kim.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:22 pm

soo... who are you? really.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:54 am

I really like my given name.. first and last. I use my maiden name rather than my legal ( married .. ick ) name except on legal documents.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby Silke » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:51 am

Do women stil change their last name as they marry? My mother is married, but neither she or her housebond changed their names.

I don't have ant "funny" names, all though it is only one other in Norway with my first name (I don't know how many with my first middle name, but it is common). In Norway pepole think it is a good, forein name, all though it is a south-sami name. thi-hi. My last name however, is usually known as a first name over the world, but it is a common sami-last name.

Someone on this fourum has a nick which is exactly like my last name in all but the way it is written.

When I was born, my mother wanted me to have six names, but my father didn't agree to that, so I ended up with three. Now I have four. I thought about adding more, but the name my mother thought I sould have was given to our new princess before I managed it, so now I don't want it.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:15 pm

If you have an embarrassing name, you should be able to change your name easily.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:31 pm

you can...
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Nathaniel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 am

My name is rather common, so I can't change it, though I keep telling english people to call me Bea, it sounds like Bjarte elseway....
"Homophobia - the irrational fear that homosexuals will move in and rearrange your furniture against your will."
Nathaniel
Hero Of The Day

Postby Silke » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:25 am

Everybody may change their names. You can change it from what you will to what you will. The only exeption is that you are not allowed to change your last name to an uncommon name if this name is... (argh! what is the word I'm looking for? ah, well) "compyrighted" somehow by the ones who is born to it. It has to be somewhat under 15 people who is named as such I think for it to be leagal...
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby StVandal » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:19 am

I hated my first name growing up, but I like it now. The only people I meet with my name are usually pretty old.

Pac-Man's name was actually "Puck-Man" when it was created in Japan. We had to change it because the importers were afraid of vandals (no relation) in the arcades changing the "P" to an "F" on the units with markers.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:41 pm

My name is rather distinctive, but not weird. I was named after a great grandfather, and I expect he was named after the great War of Northern Aggression general with the same name.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:53 pm

it's funny how names often rotate in style. if i come across another marjaana, she'll be either my age or slightly older.

i was meandering around the local graveyard in finland and to my great amusement came across names like Alfred, Fredrika, Mauritz, Carl, Bertil, etc. from the turn of the century.

why so funny? well, yer average finn of the day could not pronounce an f, b, or a word beginning with d, nor would have any idea what to do with a z or a c, since they're not part of the alphabet or the sounds part of the language.

but anything foreign sounding was well, classy....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:45 am

hehe... I would like to hear them pronounce it...
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:03 pm

I'd like to change my name to Lars Kåre... Haha... That'd make people goggle...
Nathaniel
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:48 pm

ok, so what means kåre?

and lars would immediately turn into lasse....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:20 am

Kåre is a norwegian name... boys-name...

Well, Lars Kåre, good luck getting a boy to fall in love with you only because of your name ever again. Uless he is gay, and then the relationship won't last long,..
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Nathaniel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:29 am

I've never managed to make a boy fall in love with me because of my name! who falls in love with a potato, huh?
Nathaniel
Hero Of The Day

Postby StVandal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:25 pm

I love potatoes!
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 pm

yum... scalloped....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Next

Return to Random Thoughts