You can't buy a gas can if you run out?

This forum is for the discussion of a random collection of topics that do not fit elsewhere on our boards. Question and answer style posts are appropiate here.

You can't buy a gas can if you run out?

Postby Sterling » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:47 am

Last week I had a car run out of gas. I went to buy a can to fill at the gas station.

They had tons of plastic gas cans, but they ALL said "not intended to refuel on-road vehicles". All had a wide spout made for ATVs only.

I don't know what the recent laws have changed and why, but there's nothing like making a bad situation worse.

I borrowed a can from a nearby garage. But if I couldn't have, I'd say my next best bet would be to buy a gallon container of winshield washer fluid and a funnel. Dump the fluid somewhere (uhhhh...) and fill it with gas.

Even Wal-Mart had ALL their gas cans this way when I checked last night.

Heard about it?
Sterling
Trapped Under Ice

Postby StVandal » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:10 am

The gas cans are perfectly normal over here..
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:04 pm

ditto here. that i know of.
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sterling » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Dan-- Everyone knows that Missouri residents aren't smart enough to find Pennsylvania on the map, much less question our intelligence.
Sterling
Trapped Under Ice

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:59 pm

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:46 pm

erm... what's "spork"?
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Yogi » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 pm

spoon + fork = spork
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Sterling » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:59 am

I thought it may've been a joke, so consider my reply the same. In reality, most MO'ers can find PA, and most PA'ers can find MO. There's always those few out there.

There's enough to see in PA, I've never seen the cracked bell and never had much desire to. If I came to MO I'd probably drive right past the steel thingy and go see the Ozarks. Though I may need to watch out for the mountain dudes up there who kill all their own meat, and only put their guns down while in the shower.

Unfortunately, many PA folks with college degrees and PHD's have trouble refueling from a can, and set themselves ablaze. Which creates a perfect oppt'y to contact lawyer friends and sue gas can manufacturers and the stores that sell them. Still, I'd think more people would set themselves ablaze by using the wrong wide-nozzle cans. Surely, in a mad huff, they'd not see the "not for on road vehicles" and set themselves ablaze anyway. But the important thing is they can't sue anyone for it-- which is much more important than their safety. This is evident in the fact that gas stations have a whole section to sell just those cans.

My car indeed had an E and an F, and a yellow warning light, and a warning beep. Even if it had an instructional video pop up on the dash forecasting the car dying by the road-- it doesn't change the fact that when I buy a car at auction, many of them are on empty, and all you can do is make a 1/4 mile dash to the gas station.

Generally intelligence isn't a problem in these parts, so much as a general disregard for the welfare of the other guy.
Sterling
Trapped Under Ice

Postby StVandal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:25 am

You got your car at a police seizure auction? That's awesome. One of my friends got a car at police auction and it had a couple bullet holes in the rear quarterpanel and, disturbingly, a bunch of children's happy meal toys in the back seat.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sterling » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 pm

St.Vandal: Not a gov't auction, but a regular auto auction for auto dealers. I buy cars at various auctions for a dealership. Normal, off-lease, or bank cars in one piece.

Though one time I bought a Suzuki SUV with bullet holes in two doors. I thought they'd not be too hard to repair. My shop guys wound up pulling bullets from inside the doors, digging them out of the dash (I hadn't seen that) repairing the inside door panel, and cleaning a bit of blood here and there. I bought it about 2500 under its true value and we spent about 1300 for repairs, but they've requested we go on a no-previous-crime vehicle program. :wink:
Sterling
Trapped Under Ice

Postby Sterling » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Oh, and my brother-- trickster that he is-- used to take sheets of bullet-hole stickers with him and place them on the cars prior to auction. He got away with it a few times. That was when those stickers were mostly unknown.

Now, everyone seeing bullet holes checks if they peel off first.
Sterling
Trapped Under Ice

Postby StVandal » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:35 pm

Sterling wrote:Oh, and my brother-- trickster that he is-- used to take sheets of bullet-hole stickers with him and place them on the cars prior to auction. He got away with it a few times. That was when those stickers were mostly unknown.

haha! That's hilarious!
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:44 pm

that's too funny!

:lmao1:
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Random Thoughts