second language

This forum is for the discussion of a random collection of topics that do not fit elsewhere on our boards. Question and answer style posts are appropiate here.

second language

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:45 am

Can you speak a second language, if so was it easy to learn? If not what second language would you like to learn?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby angel » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 am

i speak dutch (mothertongue), fluent english, acceptable german, basic french, some spanish and i can count in and tell you that i don't speak any finnish.

was it hard to learn... finnish is. the rest came naturally.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 am

i'd go with spanish for my fourth... if i wasn't still working on my third - english.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:26 pm

i used to be fluent at differing times with both French and Italian but since i didn't have anyone to speak it with i lost that ability quick. occasionally i can pick out words and phrases though.

i understand Spanish best because of living so close to Mexico and hearing it all around me. and my aunt is from Spain and used to only speak to me in Spanish.

i would love to be fluent in all of them though.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:07 pm

my spanish is rubbish, I wish I knew more but I find it quite difficult to learn....we were at the art galleries the other day and I've honestly never heard so many different languages being spoken, I was mesmerised. I need to learn more than english :shock:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:57 pm

pick farsi or vietnamese. it would be funny to see the faces on people who didn't expect that.

like the black guy on a train in sweden who spoke finnish.

:biggrin:
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby bea » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 am

Can't speak owt but english but i can do so in many different dialects.

Would like to learn lots of them but don't think my brain will allow it.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:19 am

I'm fluent in French and German and have been learning Spanish on and off for the last five years. I learnt French and German at school, and found both very easy to learn. My French is a little rusty as i haven't really had to use it in a while, but while in the Army i was based in Germany for four years so my German is very good. Spanish i'm having trouble with, some words make you sound like you have a lisp. :D
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Silke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:18 pm

I know: norwegian (duh), english, norwegian signlanguage and halfway sami.

I want to know: allway sami, spanish, dutch, ASL, BSL, some asian language that sounds funny... some african languages and some indian languages (if they still have them) and whatever the maori talk beside english.

...I girl is allowed to dream, right? I´ll be knowing all those languages the moment they put the learning of them into pills... I don´t honestly think I´m ever going to learn more than I know though, unless I move somewhere I´ll really need to.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Random Thoughts