Your Demise and the Internet

This forum is for the discussion of a random collection of topics that do not fit elsewhere on our boards. Question and answer style posts are appropiate here.

Your Demise and the Internet

Postby Yogi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:48 pm

I have a lot of friends here and elsewhere on the Internet. If I should pass on to that great domain in the sky, who will let people know what happened? I thought this one over and could not come up with anybody who knows all my whereabouts and the passwords to get into them. This is a tremendous gap in an otherwise well organized life.

Do you have an exit plan in place? Is there anyone who could alert your virtual friends about your well being if you are disabled? Think about it and then read this for additional suggestions.

http://www.wikihow.com/Share-Your-Obitu ... ne-Friends
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby brandtrn » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Yes, I do have an "exit" plan, however, it's not nearly so elaborate as that described in the article. My oldest daughter, Megan, has the passwords for both my LiveJournal and my e-mail accounts. The majority of my online buddies keep in touch with me either via e-mail or LJ, and those who don't will undoubtedly hear about my demise through the online "grapevine." In any case, Megan has been instructed to make a brief entry in my LJ giving the where, when, and how of my demise, and to set up an auto-reply to be sent out to anyone who e-mails me after I'm gone. Honestly, I wouldn't have the heart to tell her to go to any extra effort beyond this, considering the fact that she'll have her hands full helping my husband with my final arrangements and getting on with her own life...
"The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them." -- Mark Twain
brandtrn
Bad Seed

Postby Makinamess » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Look Yogi, it was hard enough getting a Will together, never mind all this tinterwebby stuff too ! The daughter of my (late) best friend is my beneficiary, so I guess I'd better tell her about you lot..... with passwords too!
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby chicklin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 pm

When I'm gone , I'm gone.............no point in depressing anyone or cheering up a couple I can think of! lol!
Karma will always come back and get you so be nice to everyone
chicklin
Trapped Under Ice

Postby van » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Kia ora Dennis

Over the yrs I have burnt cd's as backup including email addresses and favourites
My youngest son is a computer software writer, and I daresay he will use the info stored on the cds and hard drives to make my demise known
However, given your post, I will notify him that all cds and pcs are to be scrutinised by him first and that he has final say on their disposal

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby ohlia » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:01 pm

This has crossed my mind a few times, but now that you have brought it up ... I'll be SeRiOuSlY thinking about it. Anyone I've choosen to communicate with are special to me, so I would definitely want to know what happened to them when they are gone missing or scarce, vice versa .
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 pm

As I haven't said anything of value here for over a year, I doubt I would be missed. So, planning isn't an issue for me.

:roll:
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:27 pm

As I'm immortal, I on't bother worrying about it.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:56 am

i'm sorry...but immortal???

are you fricking serious? :hysterical:

oh, that's the best thing i've read all day. even better than Lindsay getting busted for drugs!

i don't have any final wishes in place. i should but i don't like the idea of my family being able to tell people on the Internets. i think i'll let my dad know to contact my NSM and give her the information. he doesn't "get" the Internets! *LOL*

immortal....ahahahahaha! AHAHAHAAHAHAA!!!!!! i think i'm going to say i'm a faery and i'll live to be 500! AHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

iiii...mmooooor...taaaaal....AHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!

oh that's so fricking hilarious. god, i can't wait to giggle for hours over this one!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Legion » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:01 am

Wow - that's a deep old fuse - & no mistake. :biggrin: I'm like Bedford - apart from the fishy smell - being totally immoral - it won't be bothering me.

As for the 'Hereafter' - if I'm here after you - I shall 'listen' out for yr ghostly words of wisdom! :tongue:

On a more serious note - as it's Sunday! - my kids have been 'briefed' & shown how to get online. Also an agreed mobile 'phone text has been composed to send to the few that I trust - & know are real :biggrin: News spreads like 'wildfire' online.

Dying - is the last thing that I intend to do! :thud:

I go - to a better place - to sit at the r.h.side of the site-owner - in the sky :good-bad:

:pirate2: :moon: :lmao2: :dancer:
'There is no point running if you are on the wrong road'
Quantam Ubi Sub Ubi
Legion
Frantic

Postby mdlvettechie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:25 am

I think my BF would sign onto my laptop and post a notice to certain places, in the event that I died.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
-- Immanuel Kant

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran 1883-1931
mdlvettechie
Frantic

Return to Random Thoughts