Douglas Adams

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Douglas Adams

Postby StVandal » Thu May 26, 2005 1:28 pm

"The other thing David -that's my brother- says about him is that he has the absolute perfect best-seller's name."
"Really?" said Dirk. "In what way?"
"David says it's the first thing a publisher looks for in a new author. Not, 'Is his stuff any good?' or, 'Is his stuff any good once you get rid of all the adjectives?' but, 'Is his last name nice and short and his first name just a bit longer?'"

-The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu May 26, 2005 7:27 pm

here's one for you:

i was going on a lengthy bus trip and thought i'd grab a book. so i flew into the bookstore and asked a clerk for anthony pierce. he looked confused.

you know, the guy who wrote 'on a pale horse' and the xanath series.

- whats it under?

- sci-fi.

we looked and looked and looked and find nothing. what the hell...? i grabbed another book and zoomed off.

later on i'm sitting on the bus thinking pierce anthony!!!! argh! so, who is anthony pierce then???

i told my daughter who roflmao'ed and said "oh mother.... bates motel?"

oh. oh yeah....
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby kg5uc » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:17 pm

BTW, the name of the author who wrote the Xanth series, etc. is Piers Anthony. I've read dern near all of the series, as well as others he has written. He's well known for his obsessions with puns.
73 from KG5UC

Be nice to America or we'll bring Democracy to <u>your</u> country!
kg5uc
Trapped Under Ice

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:31 pm

well, the saddest part is that i've read his books and i have his books. i've no idea what kind of brainfart that was.

my favourite is "on the pale horse", but some of the latest books have gotten a bit too punny for me.

oh, and lest we forget, marvin's pun from... WH? ?? was picked up and used in one of his xanth books, but i can't remember which one...
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Reading