What are you reading?

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

What are you reading?

Postby bermbits » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:20 pm

I read virtually every night before sleeping for between 20 and 40 minutes. I just started the first of a vampire series by Brian Lumley - the (Necroscape series. I like it so far.

What are you reading these days?
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby angel » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 pm

during daytime i am reading a massive mickey$oft MCSA book. i dont like the way it is written, i don't like the size and weight of it, and i am having a very tough time to stay focused on it.
as bedtime reading i am going through the entire terry pratchett series.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby bea » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:52 pm

i usually have about 4 books on the go at once, simply because i think to read everything, all the time. last night i finished Anne Tylers 'The Accidental Tourist'. i sort of liked it and i sort of didn't, her style is quite meandering and i never feel as if i have read anything of substance when i finish her books. it wasn't awful though.

i am also currently reading Patrica Cornwells 'Portrait of a Killer', which is a book which involves itself with attempting to uncover the identity of Jack the Ripper. i am finding this book difficult because it is so biased towards her chosen ripper but it has some gruesome pictures which keep me sort of entertained.

Also re-reading 'A million little pieces' by James Frey which i love and it makes me cry and i'm also reading Judith Butlers 'Gender Trouble' cos it keeps my mind sort of active
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby m485 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:17 am

I am reading American Psycho for about the 4th time
So much better than the film, but the film did have it's funny moments
m485

Postby StVandal » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:51 am

I was reading some Terry Pratchett before bed for a while, but I found that it was actually keeping me awake!
Right now I'm reading the Fellowship of the Ring. I never got around to it, I figured now is a good time.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm like Bea - lots of books on the go at once ! I'm enjoying Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy again (I must have read them about 4 times now) for a bit of escapism. For sheer enjoyment I am loving Dava Sobel's Longitude - John Harrison was a very clever guy ! I've also like to dip in and out of Nicholas Crane's Mercator - a fascinating biography of a 16th Century genius. I've got a couple of novels from the library on the go but as they are upstairs and I'm downstairs, and feeling rather lazy, I can't be bothered to go up and get them right now hee hee. They are the sort of stuff I read last thing at night (nothing too strenuous or intellectual) - for about half an hour, just to send me off to the land of Nod !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sarah » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Every day I wish that I could sit down with a good book, but instead I find myself wasting time online! I work with books all day long which makes my desire to read even stronger, but I just can't seem to find time (reading before bed keeps me awake). Mainly I just find sneaky little moments at work to flip through enthrawling books like "Walter the Farting Dog"
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby josh012404 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:59 pm

This thread.. :wink:
josh012404

Postby Fatboy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:20 am

I am currently reading the following:
* The Men Who Stare At Goats, by Jon Ronson - non-fiction that starts with odd New Age-inspired military thinking that was begun by the US Army back in 1979, and which has influenced bizarre and sinister practices today such as some of the torture that has recently taken place during the war in Iraq. At times, it's amusing and even laugh-out-loud; at other times, it's very disturbing; and overall, it's very compelling and hard to put down
* Men Of Tomorrow: The True Story Of The Birth Of The Superheroes, by Gerard Jones - non-fiction about the birth of the comic-book industry, the origins of classic sueprheroes like Superman and Batman, and the individuals involved. Fascinating and lively, and written in a great highly-readable style
Fatboy

Postby Sandra » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 pm

I'm currently reading Walking on Glass by Iain Banks, it was recommended to me a while ago by a friend and I've just got round to reading it, I wish I'd started it sooner as It great gets right in your head, makes you think.

I've also got My Prodigal Son to read by Pete Docherty's mother, a story of a mothers love for her son in her own words - recommended by Gill (it is hers) I'm looking forward to reading that.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ashes13 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 pm

I am currently reading the latest Karin Slaughter book called Triptych. I tend to enjoy the very gory, psychological thrillers and have been working my way through her books as well as ones by Lisa Gardner.
ashes13
Frantic

Postby Makinamess » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Well, I've just finished reading three paperbacks:-

T Greenwood - Nearer than the sky. Hmmm, I liked it but I am weird ! It's about Munchausen's syndrome within a family and the effects of it through the generations..... Big but with a lot of baggage..

Stella Duffy - Calendar Girl - a lesbian whodunnit - quite entertaining and a totally unexpected ending, slightly pedestrian writing though fairly witty at times.

Welcome to Paradise - Mahi Binebine - Brilliant, totally understated and a seriously rare voice. Translated wonderfully from the French by Lulu Norman who has managed to understand the emotions and eloquently dazzle us with the characters therein. Immigrants will never appear the same again !
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:49 pm

I read just about every night as well, helps me off to sleep. I love fantasy and sci-fi books. At the moment i'm reading Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 pm

Wyoming by Dana Fuller Ross
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Lore » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:01 am

A cat called Birmingham - Chris Pascoe.

Anyone who has ever been fortunate enough to be accepted by a cat should have a read of this.

it's short n' sweet but very funny.
Lore
Outlaw Torn

Postby Makinamess » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 am

I'm now reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters - brilliant stuff, set in Victorian London. What I hadn't realised until I got to the end of part 1 is that it was dramatised by the BBC a couple of years ago (but I didn't watch it) to rave reviews. Must buy the video/dvd if I can get it - it's that gripping :lol:
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 am

Waiting patiently for John Grisham's An Innocent Man, Grisham's first attempt at non-fiction.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sandra » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 am

I'm now reading Canal Dreams by Iain Banks as I found his last book I read amazing.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Reading