All Time 100 Best Novels

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

All Time 100 Best Novels

Postby Yogi » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:40 am

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/ ... _list.html

Looking over this list makes me realize how culturally deprived I must be. I admit to not being a fan of novels, but I've only heard of a handful of these classics. How many are you familiar with, or have you read?
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby Makinamess » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:38 pm

I'd only heard of about 35 of those and read, at the most, 20 ! I cannot guarantee having finished all those 20 though..... If a novel doesn't grip me immediately, I will perservere for only for about 2 or 3 more chapters. If it's still boring me, then back to the library it goes :(
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby mdkilmer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Looks like I've read 20 of them, and seen a few more as movies. I'm not sure that I'd agree with a lot of their selections... for instance, where're Tom Sawyer and A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court? How about 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Time Machine? But at least they didn't include Upton Sinclair's jump-the-shark novel The Jungle.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bermbits » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:12 pm

I have read about 35 of them, but I only remember a few as I have taught them and read them multiple times. I have heard of many others, but....
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby jackie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:05 pm

I have heard of many of the books listed but have only read between 15-20 of the books listed. Guess I need to get busy..
jackie

Postby AJRC_CS » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:10 am

Out of those 100 books i've only read six, and four out of the six i read at school so had no choice in the matter. I tend to read fantasy and sci-fi books, there where hardly any on the list.
The ignorant close their mind and convince themselves that there's only one truth. The wise keep an open mind to the different possibilities leading to and stemming from the present. Look not with your eyes but with your mind.
AJRC_CS
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:15 am

I have read about 20 of those, some in school, where like Andy, I had no choice. I'm amused to see Clockwork Orange on the same list with GWTW. I don't think I would ever have expected to see those two linked in any way. :confused:
My preferred reading genre is true crime drama or biography.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby Silke » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:10 pm

I´ve heard of 19, and read none... I find that funny because I have over fifty "world-classics" in my self... Tom Sawyer among others. As always, I wonder who wrote that list...
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Reading