Monstrous Regiment

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Monstrous Regiment

Postby StVandal » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:57 pm

I just finished this Terry Pratchett book, and it's yet another great one. It's about this women who joins the military to find her brother who had enlisted the year before and stopped writing letters home suddenly. There's quite a few surprises along the way, he supports a feministic standpoint (meaning there isn't a bunch of pointless drivil about women needing to be saved) and you get a feel for the pointlessness of war and militarism.
Polly Perks practices her burping, gas-passing and manly swagger (not to mention a stratigically placed pair of socks) and joins the "Cheesemongers", a regiment in the Borogravian military as Oliver Perks. It's a hilariously written book on subject matter that might otherwise be quite grey. It's humor as only Terry Pratchett could pull off.

Now I have to decide which of his books I want to read next. :hugegrin:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:58 pm

HOW did i miss that one????????

which ones have you read?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby StVandal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:09 am

I've read:
Men at Arms
Monstrous Regiment
Wee Free Men
and now I'm reading "Reaper Man"

I'm pretty much starting out on the Pratchett train. I really do like Death, but I think my favorite book so far was with the city watch (Men at Arms). My favorite character is Vimes. I love his "Boots Theory of Socio-Economic Unfairness". It's so damn true. :tongue:

I'm in the part in Reaper Man where Death gets the part time job mowing grass for the farmer woman..

Farmer: "Do you know how to handle a scythe?"
Death: "YES."
Farmer: "Have you ever used one before?"
Death: "I ASSURE YOU."
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:13 am

read Mort!!!
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:18 am

i love the early ones, but the latter ones get a bit flat and weird in a "huh?" way.

the last one back to normal though and a blast!

check out wyrd sisters; pyramids; witches abroad; small gods; lords and ladies; hogfather; guards! guards! ; night watch; soul music; maskrade. those are some of my favourites, but then i can't remember what those i read years ago were about and they're in storage....

i was not fond of going postal.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Return to Reading