Augusten Burroughs

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Augusten Burroughs

Postby meadow » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:33 am

has anyone else read Running With Scissors? i saw the movie on Monday night with my darling friend, Andrew. it was okay but the book was definitely better. although the young man, Joseph Cross, who played the adolescent Augusten was fantastic.

it's his memoir of his growing up with a mother with mental illness. she falls under the spell of a psychiatrist, Dr. Finch, who ends up "adopting" Augusten. he goes to live with this doctor's crazy [to say the least] family. it's shows his struggle with coming to terms with his homosexuality and being involved with a man who was 20 years older. it's a very moving and interesting read and i couldn't put it down! i read it in two sittings.

right now i'm in the middle of his next memoir Dry which is the continuation of sorts of his life after leaving the crazy Finch family as a young adult. he goes into advertising in New York City and becomes an alcoholic. it's his struggle to get and stay sober.

i highly recommend Running With Scissors to anyone who enjoys memoirs, especially those of a humorous nature!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to Reading