Unfinished book?

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Unfinished book?

Postby Sandra » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Is there a book you've just never been able to get into?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Most of my textbooks. :oops:
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby bermbits » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:27 pm

I give a book at least 100 pages before I dump it, and there have been very few I didn't finish.

Interestingly, years ago when I read a book called Aztec, the hardcover having something like 800+ pages, I stopped reading it about 50 pages from the end - I had had enough (but of what, I don't remember).
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:15 am

I get through hundreds of works of fiction every year and last year I can only recollect abandoning three novels before finishing them. Reference books are a different matter though - when I had my new car, I (tried to) read the user's manual but gave up on the 40 or so pages devoted just to the sound system ! (There were two pages on the PTY function alone (something to do with radio programme types - apparently one can search for radio stations currently broadcasting say a "Science" programme and it will filter out all other stations.)
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:07 am

aztec, i hear is a very sad book, brutal in places. my children recommended i not read it. i read the same author's Journeyman about marco polo and even though not all that accurate i've been told, it sure was quite the wild trip!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Silke » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:16 am

I give my books about 100 pages as well before dumping them. The last book I dumped was "David Copperfield" and I don't think I even got to page 40... no fault of the book at all! wait a second... yes, it was the fault of the book, but not the story. The book had such small letters, and almost no space between sentences, and the sentences almost went into the backbone of the book. when the book on top of that was in english (no, I won't read the norwegian version. As far as posible, read it in original language!) and I'm a dyslectian who has evolved her own way of piecing together what it says... I'll start over when I find a book with bigger letters. (I think those were size 8 or 10...)
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby solana » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:36 pm

I rarely put down a book unfinished..

Running With Scissors was one I could not handle

i got about 3/4 of the way through and fled.
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby haysi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:14 am

The Hobbit, I could not get into that at all
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby skin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:37 am

I gave up on Jane Austen. I tried to start one of her books, but the archaic ways of communicating with eachother really puts me off totally. So no more Jane Austen for me.

Mind you, I've seen both the movie Sense & Sensibility (which is not that good) and the mini Pride and Predujce (which is marvelous). Allthough the way of talking to eachother is similar as in the books, there's a look to see, so not a put of when watching.
Don't you hate it being in an utter good mood?
skin
Bad Seed

Postby angel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:02 am

my mickey$oft study books. i keep searching for excuses to stay away from them.
not that it really matters, i am not going to make it anyway.
understanding is a three edged sword.
your side, their side, and the truth.
angel
Hero Of The Day

Postby Sandra » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am

I'm trying to my hardest to get into 'Once' by James Herbert, but it's just not hitting the spot, I really like him as well. Think I'll find something else to read (anyone recommend one)
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Silke: they make larger print books available in English. especially the "classics". i don't know how your library system works there but you might be able to get a copy from there. failing that, try Amazon.com

i rarely give up on books. many times i'll give up and then a few weeks, months or even years later i can finish them. but i remember i never did finish The Scarlet Letter. and the same for Homer. what a blowhard! i'll just read derivative works where they dissect him instead...he's much too annoying to read.
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to Reading