Current Reads

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Current Reads

Postby ashes13 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:45 am

What have people been reading?
Is it the current page turner on the bestsellers lists, something you have been meanign to read for a long time or just something you picked up?

I'm just finishing yet another thriller by Tess Gerritson and looking for a new read.

I have seen one called Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill which is said to be a great first horror novel, highly praised by Neil Gaiman. Any one read it yet?

Could anyone recommend a good read that is in the same genre?
<i>I don't understand you. You don't understand me. What else do we have in common? </i>

~Ashleigh Brilliant~
ashes13
Frantic

Postby bermbits » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:06 am

I have been reading PAtricia Cornwell's mysteries.
"Veritas et probitas super omnia."
bermbits
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ashes13 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:58 am

I have read most of her books up until the police Detective ones. I much prefered the forensic ones yet never managed to get back into them after that.

If you like that sort of book you may enjoy Tess Gerritson, Karin Slaughter, Lisa Gardner, and Jeffery Deaver.
<i>I don't understand you. You don't understand me. What else do we have in common? </i>

~Ashleigh Brilliant~
ashes13
Frantic

Postby StVandal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:40 pm

I just started on Vurt, by Jeff Noon.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:39 am

"Prophecy" by Elizabeth Haydon

and

"Tegn som språk" by a bunch of people. Title means "Sign as a language". intresting stuff.
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby ashes13 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:56 am

Silke-That Sign as a Language does sound very interesting. I shall have to look out for it.

StVandal-I have yet to read any Jeff Noon. Is that your usual type of read?

~Ashleigh Brilliant~
ashes13
Frantic

Postby StVandal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:46 pm

No.. one day I was walking along the sidewalk, and saw a huge stack of books with a "free" sign on them. So I sorted through and ended up with Vurt. I'd seen it on a friend's bookshelf before, so I grabbed it.
It's been sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time, but I recently finished my last Terry Pratchett book (my usual read) that I have, so until I go buy another Pratchett book, I'm reading Jeff Noon.
It's not bad. It's not what I usually read, but it's kinda good.
Vurt is this drug of the future (I don't know how far in the future.. I'm guessing it was supposed to be around 2030 or so. The book was written in the early 90s.. imagine Johnny Pneumonic). It actually puts you into this weird drug world that you can disappear into. Lemme see if I can find a review.. I'm not doing a good job of describing it.

From Publishers Weekly
Noon's highly stylized, virtual-reality inspired first novel has won raves and the Arthur C. Clarke Award in Britain, eliciting comparisons to William Gibson, Anthony Burgess and Lewis Carroll, among others. But though it is original, vivid and powerful, it's not as revolutionary as the fanfare suggests. Noon gives us a future (or perhaps just other) Manchester, England, where nearly everyone is hooked on "Vurts"-hallucinogenic designer drugs, administered with feathers, that send users into virtual worlds. Vurt isn't any old future drug, though; these worlds have a reality of their own. Users can meet up in them and share the experience, and they can even "exchange" objects or people and bring Vurt items back to the "real" world. Scribble, a member of a small gang of "young hip malcontents," the Stash Riders, has lost his beloved sister, Desdemona (don't ask how beloved if you're shy about incest), to a black-market Vurt, getting in return a shapeless alien he dubs "The Thing-from-Outer Space." Determined to find another copy of the "English Voodoo" Vurt in order to return and trade the Thing back for his sister, Scribble and his pals score illegal Vurts, run from the cops, fight among themselves, trip out on feathers, kill a cop, go to ground, become estranged and regroup. Some die, and all suffer, before Scribble gets his chance. Noon keeps a brisk pace, with the many Vurt-trip sequences, awash in Alice in Wonderland-like images, never so long or involved as to bog the story down. His bizarre, psychedelic future feels like no other, and the startling alloy of pseudoheroic genrespeak and neo-Beat freewheeling rhythms proves a unique and perfect medium for such a hallucinatory tale. There's little of Gibson or Burgess here, though. The story has neither the shock value of A Clockwork Orange nor the cyberpunk nihilism of Neuromancer. Noon takes his material (though not his characters) less seriously than Burgess, Gibson and most other SF writers. His future world isn't meant to be believable, or even cautionary, but merely colorful and engaging (which it is)-and that takes some of the bite out of the book. Nevertheless, this is an audacious fantasia, exhibiting a narrative daring and command few new writers can boast, sweeping the reader along as though it were a Vurt feather-trip itself.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
StVandal
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Silke » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:54 am

ashes: if you tell me where you are from I can see if I find something more relevant for you where you are. The book I read is in norwegian about the norwegian history and evolvement on the subject, but I can find something "closer to home" if you want
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Valleysailor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:01 pm

reviving this thread -- so what's on your summer reading list?

I'm currently reading the trial transcript for a guy who murdered his fiancee, shot her sister and her mother, and left her brother-in-law for dead (work sh*t). Nothing on my pending list that excites me right now -- help!
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Valleysailor
Outlaw Torn

Postby ohlia » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:08 pm

These days I'm busy catching up on my Saveur magazines. Still reading 2006, haven't touched this year's yet.
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Makinamess » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Hehe, I'm still on March's edition of "Brainformation Monthly"...... but I am a bit behind in "Digging for Girls" and "Holes & how to find them". I do rip off the wrapper of "Lace" whenever I receive it, just to ogle at the pretty pictures...
Makinamess
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:58 pm

The Princessa by Harriet Rubin. it's the feminine take on Machiavelli's The Prince. good stuff so far. then i've got a bunch of Suze Orman's books from the library to peruse later this week. and a book called Savage Girls and Wild Boys: A History of Feral Children by Michael Newton. that one just popped out to me in the library shelf!

i've read about 100 books so far this year so i'm cruising along. i tend to grab whatever "pops out" for me on the shelf of the library. luckily, the library here in Corpus Christi seems to follow the excellent libraries i've used in the last few years.

i know you love the library nearly as much as i do VS! :D so i plan on just working my way through whatever catches my fancy, fiction, novels or non-fiction. so far i tend to lean towards historical fiction and books about all the different points in musical history. oh, and movie star biographies. i never get tired of those!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Return to Reading