Must read! "1632"

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Must read! "1632"

Postby mdkilmer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:16 pm

So you live in the town of Grantsville, West Virginia. Somehow your whole town and a three-mile radius sphere around the town is scooped out and dropped-- intact-- into the year 1632 not far from Badensburg, Germany.

What do you do? You've got the entire 6000+ population of the town and all the varied talents contained within. You've got a brand-new state-of-the-art school, complete with library, woodshop, and metal shop. You've got an abandoned coal mine, abandoned equipment, and a power plant that runs on the abundant natural gas in the area (the sphere also runs three miles deep). You've got a whole bunch of beefed-up 4-wheel-drive pickup trucks. You've got a population that restocks their meat supply every year as soon as hunting season starts-- armed with high-powered hunting rifles and the ability to shoot the eye of a squirrel at 100 yards or the heart out of a deer at 200+ yards.

You scout around and come to the conclusion that somehow you've been dropped into the middle of the Thirty Years War-- quite possibly the most violently insane war in the history of mankind.

So, what do you do? Hunker behind a hastily-constructed barricade and wait for the inevitable time when you're first overrun by refugees and then conquered by roving bands of mercenaries bent on pillage, torture, and rape? Wait to be returned to the 21st century? Hope that somebody rescues you? Or. perhaps, remember that "God helps those that help themselves"?

Be aware of the fact that West Virginia is one of the most vehement pro-democratic, individualistic areas in the USA. Also be aware that West Virginia, by percentage, has produced more soldiers for the US military than any other place.

Written by Eric Flint.

A great read. READ IT !
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm

that sounds like a good one!
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
Holier Than Thou

Postby meadow » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 pm

*adds to list of books to check out from the library* i'll have to check that out next week after settling in from my move from here to Corpus Christi!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
Outlaw Torn

Postby Valleysailor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:56 am

I love the concept of this book. I have often wondered about a similar scenario but being projected into the future. I never really wondered too much about the past, but I suppose it would be equally disconcerting.
Definitely going on my must-read list.
There is no education in the second kick of the mule.
Outlaw Torn

Postby StVandal » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:53 pm

That sounds interesting! I'll check it out if I see it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Reading