Favorite Book Quote!

Be it on the New York Times Best Seller list, or just a favorite book in your personal library, give us your book review and comments in this forum.

Favorite Book Quote!

Postby meadow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:35 pm

give me your favorite book quote. give me the author and title of the book and why you love it so much. if you have more than one...well go on and give them to us!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 pm

I can think of a couple right off.

Carl Sagan, from the book Cosmos: "We have lingered long enough on the shore of the Cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars". Adventure, challenge, resources, discoveries, and hope-- it's a great quote.

Terry Pratchett, from one of the Discworld books: "Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire and he'll be warm all the rest of his life". A deliberate twist on the "Give a man (anything)" proverbs. A mental double-take. It appeals to my sense of irony and my slightly twisted sense of humor.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:29 pm

with my memory? according to some expert on oprah, we loose 50 000 braincells per day [?] after the age of 21. i doubt i had that many to begin with.

sigh.

it was oscar wilde, the portrait of dorian grey, but i'd have to go looking for it...

nope, scratch that! it'll be terry pratchett. angua, a werewolf saying to cpl carrot: [sic] "it's easy to be vegetarian during the day, but not so easy to stop turning into a humanitarian at night."

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)

"It's a god-eat-god world."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Bishops move diagonally. That's why they often turn up where the kings don't expect them to be.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Chain-mail isn't much defence against an arrow. It certainly isn't when the arrow is being aimed between your eyes.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)

Carrot was two metres tall but he'd been brought up as a dwarf, and then further up as a human.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)

The river Ankh is probably the only river in the universe on which the investigators can chalk the outline of the corpse.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)

They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.

-- Discworld scientists at work (Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites)

see what you started? and these are not even my favourites... they are still in boxes downstairs.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby ohlia » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:35 pm

I keep a notebook just for my favourite quotes. I have so many ...

-"A Salt is a small but perfect thing" --- Salt A World History by Mark Kurlansky

-"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." --- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

-"In dealing with history, he added, all sorts of things are possible, but not all possible things are equally probable" --- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

-"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody." --- Catcher in the Rye by J D salinger

-"If you cannot forgive because of hurt inflicted by others, you will be unwilling to be vulnerable for fear of being hurt again. Because people are sinners, you cannot love and you cannot minister without getting hurt." --- Diary Of A Desperate Man by Walter A. Henrichsen
You calling me stupid do not make me stupid; it makes you a person calling me stupid.
ohlia
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Reading